Ultra-compact 5mp digicam...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BWGames, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. BWGames

    BWGames Guest

    My mate is recommending Canon, and he has an Ixus 40/SD300 4mp.

    I'm really looking at getting a 5mp ultra-compact. The max side for me
    would probably be A4 though, so do I need 5mp? What is the max size
    difference between the two?

    I'm torn between the:
    Pentax Optio S5i
    Canon Ixus 500/SD500
    Nikon 5200.

    The Pentax is far by the smallest, but looking at
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxs5i/page8.asp seems to show the Nikon
    has the far better resolution, the Pentax looks pretty bad to my untrained
    eye, especially the first set of photos, the shot seems very dark compared
    to the Nikon.
    I really like the Pentax for its size, but concerned about quality.
    I've been told that Canon are the better make now, so I'm quite interested
    in them as well. I like the Ixus 40, but its "only"? 4mp.
    The Ixus 500 also appears to be an old model too.

    If I don't really need 5mp, I'm tempted by the Ixus 40/SD300 unless there's
    better at 4mp?

    I need one with 3x optical zoom min, so the Canon i5 is out.

    The Nikon is quite big compared to the Pentax, but even so, I'm thinking
    maybe the Pentax is too small?

    Advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Ben