    stretch from either CD to the location of the LS120.

    Here is the question: Will 2 Ultra ATA/133 controller card work together in
    separate PCI slots ?
    John D, Oct 28, 2003

  2. John D

    Max of Mad Guest

    John D wrote:

    > I have a Ultra ATA/133 controller card in a PCI slot that runs several hard
    > drives and all are on 80 pin IDE cables. I have a CD-Rom on the first port
    > on the motherboard and a CD-RW on the second IDE port on the motherboard
    > that are both on a 40 pin IDE cable. I also have a Imation LS120 drive in
    > the computer that needs to run on the 40 pin IDE cable, but the cable won't
    > stretch from either CD to the location of the LS120.
    >
    > Here is the question: Will 2 Ultra ATA/133 controller card work together in
    > separate PCI slots ?

    Yes.

    It may depend on the OS/drivers.

    Determine if the 2 UltraATA cards will not conflict with each other. ie:
    find out from the manufacturer(s) website(s) or call.

    What kind of UltraATA card do you already have?

    Also, you can put the CD's on the primary and the LS120 on the secondary
    (or vice versa) with no real performance hit. Recommend the cdrw as
    master and cdrom as slave.

    Max of Mad
    --
    Leave a tone after the message
    Max of Mad, Oct 28, 2003

  3. John D

    Miles Promo Guest

    Re: Ultra ATA/133 controller card ? - get round cables

    "John D" wrote:
    > I have a Ultra ATA/133 controller card in a PCI slot that
    > runs several hard drives and all are on 80 pin IDE cables.
    > I have a CD-Rom on the first port on the motherboard
    > and a CD-RW on the second IDE port on the motherboard
    > that are both on a 40 pin IDE cable. I also have a Imation LS120
    > drive in the computer that needs to run on the 40 pin IDE cable,
    > but the cable won't stretch from either CD to the location of
    > the LS120.
    >
    > Here is the question: Will 2 Ultra ATA/133 controller card
    > work together in separate PCI slots ?

    Why not try a cheaper solution to your problem - get a longer
    cable? Although IDE specifies an 18 inch flat ribbon cable, you
    can use a longer cable, especially with the slower ATAPI devices.
    I use "round" (in cross-section) cables for all my IDE devices, including
    hard disk drives, and I've had no problems. They come in several
    lengths, from 8 inch single device cables on up to 36 inch two device
    cables. There are dozens of websites that sell them, although very
    few sell the shorter lengths, and prices vary by more than 100%.
    www.SVC.com has a decent selection at fair prices, and I've
    been very satisfied buying round cables from them. Round cables
    usually come in the 80-wire format (40 wires are ground wires,
    twisted around the signal wires for shielding), but they also work as
    40-wire cables. Single-device round cables are also made for floppy
    drives, so a whole new set of device placement possibilities are
    open to you. BTW, "round" cables are primarily used by the gamers
    and PC homebuilders who like the lower airflow restriction presented
    by round cables, and the longer lengths that are available.

    --->Miles2Go--->
    Miles Promo, Oct 28, 2003
  4. John D

    John D Guest

    "Max of Mad" <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > What kind of UltraATA card do you already have?

    It is a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 controller card. Shows up in device manager as
    a Promise Technologies.

    > Also, you can put the CD's on the primary and the LS120 on the secondary
    > (or vice versa) with no real performance hit. Recommend the cdrw as
    > master and cdrom as slave.

    I guess this is the solution. I will have to rearange my box so that the IDE
    cable can reach both drives. Acording to Imation the LS 120 needs the old 40
    pin cable to run properly.

    John D, Oct 29, 2003
  5. John D

    John D Guest

    "Miles Promo" <> wrote in message

    > Why not try a cheaper solution to your problem - get a longer
    > cable? Although IDE specifies an 18 inch flat ribbon cable, you
    > can use a longer cable, especially with the slower ATAPI devices.
    > I use "round" (in cross-section) cables for all my IDE devices, including
    > hard disk drives, and I've had no problems. They come in several
    > lengths, from 8 inch single device cables on up to 36 inch two device
    > cables. There are dozens of websites that sell them, although very
    > few sell the shorter lengths, and prices vary by more than 100%.
    > www.SVC.com has a decent selection at fair prices, and I've
    > been very satisfied buying round cables from them. Round cables
    > usually come in the 80-wire format (40 wires are ground wires,
    > twisted around the signal wires for shielding), but they also work as
    > 40-wire cables. Single-device round cables are also made for floppy
    > drives, so a whole new set of device placement possibilities are
    > open to you. BTW, "round" cables are primarily used by the gamers
    > and PC homebuilders who like the lower airflow restriction presented
    > by round cables, and the longer lengths that are available.
    >

    > --->Miles2Go--->

    I have done the round cables for the drives connected to the controller card
    and put the LS 120 as a slave to one of the drives but the LS 120 doesn't
    work properly on a 80 wire cable. Imation says it needs a 40 wire
    connection.

    John D, Oct 29, 2003
  6. John D

    "John D" wrote:

    > "Miles Promo" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Why not try a cheaper solution to your problem - get a longer
    > > cable? Although IDE specifies an 18 inch flat ribbon cable, you
    > > can use a longer cable, especially with the slower ATAPI devices.
    > > I use "round" (in cross-section) cables for all my IDE devices, including
    > > hard disk drives, and I've had no problems. They come in several
    > > lengths, from 8 inch single device cables on up to 36 inch two device
    > > cables. There are dozens of websites that sell them, although very
    > > few sell the shorter lengths, and prices vary by more than 100%.
    > > www.SVC.com has a decent selection at fair prices, and I've
    > > been very satisfied buying round cables from them. Round cables
    > > usually come in the 80-wire format (40 wires are ground wires,
    > > twisted around the signal wires for shielding), but they also work as
    > > 40-wire cables. Single-device round cables are also made for floppy
    > > drives, so a whole new set of device placement possibilities are
    > > open to you. BTW, "round" cables are primarily used by the gamers
    > > and PC homebuilders who like the lower airflow restriction presented
    > > by round cables, and the longer lengths that are available.
    > >

    > I have done the round cables for the drives connected to the controller card
    > and put the LS 120 as a slave to one of the drives but the LS 120 doesn't
    > work properly on a 80 wire cable. Imation says it needs a 40 wire
    > connection.

    My PCI ATA controller card documentation says not to mix ATAPI
    devices with ATA devices on the same channel, i.e. don't put the LS120
    on the same channel with a hard drive. I have put my CD/DVD/Zip drives
    on the old motherboard controller and the new HDs on the SIIG controller
    card, and things work fine that way.

    As for 40-wire versus 80-wire, the signal lines and the connector pins
    are identical. The extra 40 wires in the 80-wire cable are just ground
    wires for isolation of the signal wires, and you can use a 80-wire cable in
    place of a 40-wire cable if a 40-wire cable is "required". You can check
    out the IDE/ATA specs by going to www.T13.org and downloading
    volume 2 listed in the paragraph:
    1532D AT Attachment - 7 with Packet Interface (ATA/ATAPI - 7)

    --->Miles2Go--->
    Miles Promo, Oct 29, 2003