Ultra ATA 100/133 Controller configuration?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Flippor, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Flippor

    Flippor Guest

    Hi,

    yesterday I bought an Ultra ATA controller card because some ppl in this
    group suggested it might improve performance/speed up disk access. So now
    I'm about to install the thing but since I'm a complete n00b to Raid
    controller
    cards I'd like to get some advice please, coz I dont have any clue what this
    is all about and I dont wanna wreck my hdd's, cdrw OR lose any data.

    Here's what I have on my system;

    - Pcchips mb, ATA 33 (yeah, it's old)
    - primary master; Maxtor ATA 100
    - primary slave ; Maxtor ATA 33
    - secundary master; Aopen CWR5232

    All 3 have PIO mode 4 and DMA mode 2.

    Settings for the controller card gives me these options. If someone could
    figure this out for me I'd be much obliged =] If you need more info just say
    so and I'll post it...
    ---------------------------
    Totally, there are five configurations supported:
    RAID level/TypeConfigurations Number of disks
    needed

    RAID 0 Disk Striping 2 or 3 or
    4
    RAID 1 Disk Mirroring 2
    RAID 0+1 Disk Striping + Mirroring 4
    JBOD Disk Concatenation 2 or 3 or 4
    Normal None 1 or 2
    or 3 or 4

    Setup Array for RAID 0:
    The RAIDExpress 133 card allows you to use two, three or four hard drives to
    set a RAID 0 (stripe) array. All the hard drives attached on the controller
    will be set as array 0. When you create a striped array, files are broken
    into 64k (stripe size) and stripes are sent to each disk in the array.
    Selecting RAID 0 can increase data transfer rate and allow the best overall
    performance characteristics because of giving up redundancy.

    Setup Array for RAID 1:
    The RAIDExpress 133 card allows two drives to be setup as a RAID 1 (mirror)
    array or four drives as two arrays. The first mirrored array will be set as
    array 0 and the second as array 1. RAID 1 is implemented as mirroring; a
    drive has its data duplicated on the other different drive. Selecting RAID 1
    can enhance read performance and allow fault tolerance. A RAID 1 array can
    thoroughly backup your files to prevent data loss.

    Warning: Two hard drives that form a RAID 1 array have to be attached as the
    same master or slave hard disks.

    Setup Array for RAID 0+1:
    A RAID 0+1 (mirror and stripe) array has to be formed by four hard drives.
    RAID 0+1 is implemented as a mirrored array whose segments are RAID 0 arrays
    so RAID 0+1 also has fault-tolerance capacity as RAID 1. It not only
    enhances hard disk access performance but also backups data to prevent data
    loss. The formed array is automatically set as array 0.

    Setup Array for JBOD:
    The RAIDExpress 133 card allows you to use two, three or four hard drives to
    form a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) array as array 0. Although JBOD doesn't
    offer other RAID functionality, it makes the hard disks appear to be a
    single one by combining the drives into one larger logical one without any
    capacity loss.

    Setup Array for Normal:
    You can use the RAIDExpress 133 card as a normal IDE controller. The
    RAIDExpress 133 card allows you to use one, two, three or four hard drives.
    All the hard drives attached on the RAIDExpress 133 controller are left to
    act as independent drive volumes.

    Please follow the procedures below to set an array:
    l Use the "space" bar key to select a RAID type.
    l Press "Ctrl-Y" keys to save and create an array. If you select
    RAID 0, 1, 0+1 or JBOD, the boot sector of the newly created array will be
    erased. If you select Normal, the boot sector will be remained.

    Warning: If you prefer to keep data in your hard drives, please follow the
    procedures in the Define RAID section on page 21 to setup your arrays
    manually.
    Flippor, Apr 2, 2004

  2. Flippor

    Palindrome Guest

    Flippor wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > yesterday I bought an Ultra ATA controller card because some ppl in this
    > group suggested it might improve performance/speed up disk access. So now
    > I'm about to install the thing but since I'm a complete n00b to Raid
    > controller
    > cards I'd like to get some advice please, coz I dont have any clue what this
    > is all about and I dont wanna wreck my hdd's, cdrw OR lose any data.
    >
    > Here's what I have on my system;
    >
    > - Pcchips mb, ATA 33 (yeah, it's old)
    > - primary master; Maxtor ATA 100
    > - primary slave ; Maxtor ATA 33
    > - secundary master; Aopen CWR5232
    >
    > All 3 have PIO mode 4 and DMA mode 2.
    >
    > Settings for the controller card gives me these options. If someone could
    > figure this out for me I'd be much obliged =] If you need more info just say
    > so and I'll post it...
    > ---------------------------
    > Totally, there are five configurations supported:
    > RAID level/TypeConfigurations Number of disks
    > needed
    >
    > RAID 0 Disk Striping 2 or 3 or
    > 4
    > RAID 1 Disk Mirroring 2
    > RAID 0+1 Disk Striping + Mirroring 4
    > JBOD Disk Concatenation 2 or 3 or 4
    > Normal None 1 or 2
    > or 3 or 4
    > ><<snip defintions of RAID>

    You don't say what mobo model but I guess, if it is old, its PCI bus is
    only running at 33 anyhow. So your RAID card is only going to be
    tranferring at about that speed. So, IMHO, I would just leave things as
    they are - unless you want to add more drives.

    I guess what they may have been thinking is that you could get
    marginally better performance by putting your two hard drives on the
    RAID card and establishing a stripe set. IMHO, forget it. It will cause
    you more problems than it is worth. Yes it would marginally increase
    performance but will have a much larger effect in decreasing
    reliability. But if you really, really must use the RAID controller with
    your two drives and you really, really must have increased
    performance, this is the only option to go for.

    What would I do with the RAID card? An interesting question. You can
    still add another drive without needing it. You could buy 4 new
    identical hard drives and configure them as a mirror and stripe set.
    That would give you extra performance and reliability. Or you could just
    take it back to where you bought it from and put the money towards a
    faster mobo and processor..
    Palindrome, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Flippor

    Flippor Guest

    "Palindrome" <> wrote in
    > Flippor wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > yesterday I bought an Ultra ATA controller card because some ppl in this
    > > group suggested it might improve performance/speed up disk access. So

    now
    > > I'm about to install the thing but since I'm a complete n00b to Raid
    > > controller
    > > cards I'd like to get some advice please, coz I dont have any clue what

    this
    > > is all about and I dont wanna wreck my hdd's, cdrw OR lose any data.
    > >
    > > Here's what I have on my system;
    > >
    > > - Pcchips mb, ATA 33 (yeah, it's old)
    > > - primary master; Maxtor ATA 100
    > > - primary slave ; Maxtor ATA 33
    > > - secundary master; Aopen CWR5232
    > >
    > > All 3 have PIO mode 4 and DMA mode 2.
    > >
    > > Settings for the controller card gives me these options. If someone

    could
    > > figure this out for me I'd be much obliged =] If you need more info just

    say
    > > so and I'll post it...

    > > ---------------------------
    > > Totally, there are five configurations supported:
    > > RAID level/TypeConfigurations Number of

    disks
    > > needed
    > >
    > > RAID 0 Disk Striping 2 or

    3 or
    > > 4
    > > RAID 1 Disk Mirroring 2
    > > RAID 0+1 Disk Striping + Mirroring 4
    > > JBOD Disk Concatenation 2 or 3 or

    4
    > > Normal None 1

    or 2
    > > or 3 or 4
    > > ><<snip defintions of RAID>

    > You don't say what mobo model but I guess, if it is old, its PCI bus is
    > only running at 33 anyhow. So your RAID card is only going to be
    > tranferring at about that speed. So, IMHO, I would just leave things as
    > they are - unless you want to add more drives.
    >
    > I guess what they may have been thinking is that you could get
    > marginally better performance by putting your two hard drives on the
    > RAID card and establishing a stripe set. IMHO, forget it. It will cause
    > you more problems than it is worth. Yes it would marginally increase
    > performance but will have a much larger effect in decreasing
    > reliability. But if you really, really must use the RAID controller with
    > your two drives and you really, really must have increased
    > performance, this is the only option to go for.
    >
    > What would I do with the RAID card? An interesting question. You can
    > still add another drive without needing it. You could buy 4 new
    > identical hard drives and configure them as a mirror and stripe set.
    > That would give you extra performance and reliability. Or you could just
    > take it back to where you bought it from and put the money towards a
    > faster mobo and processor..

    thats the same thing a friend told me but since I'm a hard headed person I
    thought I'd give it a go, being totally unfamiliar with raid controllers and
    not realizing all the setup shit I have to go through to make it work....
    But if you tell me things wont change for the better, I guess I put it back
    to the store and indeed save the cash for a new mb and cpu. A new AMD cpu
    plus mobo isnt that expensive these days...
    I guess there is no other way to speed up the mb??
    thnx for the comment and help...
    Flippor, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Flippor

    Palindrome Guest

    Flippor wrote:

> [...]

    >>What would I do with the RAID card? An interesting question. You can
    >>still add another drive without needing it. You could buy 4 new
    >>identical hard drives and configure them as a mirror and stripe set.
    >>That would give you extra performance and reliability. Or you could just
    >>take it back to where you bought it from and put the money towards a
    >>faster mobo and processor..
    >>

    > thats the same thing a friend told me but since I'm a hard headed person I
    > thought I'd give it a go, being totally unfamiliar with raid controllers and
    > not realizing all the setup shit I have to go through to make it work....
    > But if you tell me things wont change for the better, I guess I put it back
    > to the store and indeed save the cash for a new mb and cpu. A new AMD cpu
    > plus mobo isnt that expensive these days...
    > I guess there is no other way to speed up the mb??

    Stick it in an Australian/ US scram jet?
    Drop it off the top of a high building?
    Fill the case with liquid freon and do a lot of overclocking?

    But seriously, you may be able to:
    1)shove in a faster processor
    2)add more memory
    3)fit a faster graphics card

    all of which may improve performance but, as you don't give enough
    details of your system, I can't promise it).

    4) change to Linux. ;) :)

    But looking at the price of second hand kit on ebay - nothing that you
    do will match what you can get there for not a lot. You don't need to
    buy new and, as you say, even new kit is not that costly.
    Palindrome, Apr 2, 2004