    know. Exactly what language is "ultimate boot disk" written in?
    From what I saw on the information page at sourceforge, well that screen
    shot sure like DOS to me.

    Certain people around say Windows quit using DOS for a lot of stuff. OK I
    can buy that. But exactly how does windows get going in the first place?

    I know I can tell my machine to not boot windows at all. Go to directly to
    DOS. Then even while windows is running, I can access DOS through the
    "command prompt" thingy.

    Now if a disk is not controlled by DOS to begin with? Then what is
    controlling it initially?
    richard, Feb 21, 2010

  2. richard

    cully when Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Now because I am sooooooooo stooooooopppppppppiddddd, I'd just like to
    > know. Exactly what language is "ultimate boot disk" written in?
    > From what I saw on the information page at sourceforge, well that screen
    > shot sure like DOS to me.
    >
    > Certain people around say Windows quit using DOS for a lot of stuff. OK I
    > can buy that. But exactly how does windows get going in the first place?
    >
    > I know I can tell my machine to not boot windows at all. Go to directly to
    > DOS. Then even while windows is running, I can access DOS through the
    > "command prompt" thingy.
    >
    > Now if a disk is not controlled by DOS to begin with? Then what is
    > controlling it initially?

    DOS is not a language. Ultimate boot disk probably comprises many
    programs written in various languages such as assembly, C, Perl, C++
    depending on what the original programmer had handy and his/her
    individual preference.

    Thought I would dash this off before your many 'friends' respond with
    their usual trash replies.
    cully when, Feb 21, 2010

  3. richard wrote:
    > Now because I am sooooooooo stooooooopppppppppiddddd, I'd just like to
    > know. Exactly what language is "ultimate boot disk" written in?
    > From what I saw on the information page at sourceforge, well that screen
    > shot sure like DOS to me.
    >
    > Certain people around say Windows quit using DOS for a lot of stuff. OK I
    > can buy that. But exactly how does windows get going in the first place?
    >
    > I know I can tell my machine to not boot windows at all. Go to directly to
    > DOS. Then even while windows is running, I can access DOS through the
    > "command prompt" thingy.
    >
    > Now if a disk is not controlled by DOS to begin with? Then what is
    > controlling it initially?

    Read Culley's msg for the language answer. The OS is Linux. DOS is also
    an OS, as is Windows 95/98/nt/2000/xp/vista/win7 etc.

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Feb 21, 2010
  4. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > Now because I am sooooooooo stooooooopppppppppiddddd, I'd just like to
    > know. Exactly what language is "ultimate boot disk" written in?

    > From what I saw on the information page at sourceforge, well that
    > screen shot sure like DOS to me.

    The first picture here on the right:

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    If that's to what you were referring, was probably developed using the
    ncurses library which is a c library used to do ansii graphics. This
    implies that c was at least *used* to write it, although several other
    languages could easily be used. About all you could say for certain is that
    the gcc compiler set was probably involved. Gcc compiles Assembler, C
    fortran, Ada, C++, java and other languages. I find it strange that they
    never mention what languages his package was written in. Perhaps it was
    several and to make things simple he just never says.

    DOS as it's most commonly used refers to the CLI (command line interface)
    used by such Disk Operating Systems.

    > Certain people around say Windows quit using DOS for a lot of stuff.
    > OK I can buy that. But exactly how does windows get going in the first
    > place?

    That statement is meaningless. MSDOS *was* a CLI based DOS, Windows XP/2000
    and later weren't. Between them and when MS Windows 3.0 came out things
    started to change and the difference gets a bit fuzzy.

    > I know I can tell my machine to not boot windows at all. Go to
    > directly to DOS. Then even while windows is running, I can access DOS
    > through the "command prompt" thingy.

    That really depends on what OS you're running. What happens if you type the
    command "ver" at that point?

    > Now if a disk is not controlled by DOS to begin with? Then what is
    > controlling it initially?

    Again, your misunderstanding is making your question hard to understand.
    What controls a hard drive is the hard drive controller part of the I/O
    bus. The CPU sends requests for data transfers to that. Those requests are
    code from the OS. In a case using *any* type of disk drive, that's called a
    DOS.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Feb 21, 2010
  5. richard

    Rick Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Now because I am sooooooooo stooooooopppppppppiddddd, I'd just like to
    > know. Exactly what language is "ultimate boot disk" written in?

    Software can be coded in a ton of different "languages."

    > From what I saw on the information page at sourceforge, well that screen
    > shot sure like DOS to me.

    DOS and Windows are "operating systems" and presentation tools.

    > Certain people around say Windows quit using DOS for a lot of stuff. OK I
    > can buy that. But exactly how does windows get going in the first place?

    All modern systems start with POST code from the BIOS which contains
    machine language.

    > I know I can tell my machine to not boot windows at all. Go to directly to
    > DOS. Then even while windows is running, I can access DOS through the
    > "command prompt" thingy.
    >
    > Now if a disk is not controlled by DOS to begin with? Then what is
    > controlling it initially?

    It does not matter, really.
    Rick, Feb 21, 2010
  6. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 02:58:56 -0700, richard wrote:

    > Now because I am sooooooooo stooooooopppppppppiddddd, I'd just like to
    > know. Exactly what language is "ultimate boot disk" written in?
    > From what I saw on the information page at sourceforge, well that screen
    > shot sure like DOS to me.
    >
    > Certain people around say Windows quit using DOS for a lot of stuff. OK I
    > can buy that. But exactly how does windows get going in the first place?
    >
    > I know I can tell my machine to not boot windows at all. Go to directly to
    > DOS. Then even while windows is running, I can access DOS through the
    > "command prompt" thingy.
    >
    > Now if a disk is not controlled by DOS to begin with? Then what is
    > controlling it initially?

    thanks people. just curious to know what else might be used to do this in.

    To a certain troll from fremont california, I don't need your fucking
    permission to leave a thread, ever! Because you replied, does not mean I
    have to reply to you, asswipe.
    richard, Feb 21, 2010
  7. richard

    thanatoid Guest

    cully when <> wrote in

    > richard wrote:
    >> Now because I am sooooooooo stooooooopppppppppiddddd, I'd
    >> just like to know. Exactly what language is "ultimate boot
    >> disk" written in? From what I saw on the information page
    >> at sourceforge, well that screen shot sure like DOS to me.
    >>
    >> Certain people around say Windows quit using DOS for a lot
    >> of stuff. OK I can buy that. But exactly how does windows
    >> get going in the first place?
    >>
    >> I know I can tell my machine to not boot windows at all.
    >> Go to directly to DOS. Then even while windows is running,
    >> I can access DOS through the "command prompt" thingy.
    >>
    >> Now if a disk is not controlled by DOS to begin with? Then
    >> what is controlling it initially?

    > DOS is not a language. Ultimate boot disk probably
    > comprises many programs written in various languages such
    > as assembly, C, Perl, C++ depending on what the original
    > programmer had handy and his/her individual preference.
    >
    > Thought I would dash this off before your many 'friends'
    > respond with their usual trash replies.

    Thank you for saving me the trouble. Alas, our efforts to make
    this group a little less like a primary school courtyard after a
    REALLY bad lunch appear to be failing badly.

    richard:
    IOW, even though what you SEE appears as what we know as MS-DOS
    (or some other DOS in very rare cases, looks virtually identical
    anyway), it may have been written in any of a multitude of
    computer programming languages (you can Wiki that).

    Just like if someone knew **NOTHING** about computers let alone
    Macs and Windows machines, and they showed them 2 screens (Mac
    and Win) of an *identical cross-platform app* like Adobe
    Photoshop, they might think it's the same program, on the same
    OS (well, they wouldn't even know what an OS is, but you get my
    drift). But the Mac and Windows versions of Photoshop are VERY
    different once you get into the guts of the program on the
    coding level - who knows what languages were used. (Leaving
    aside the tiny differences - which the ignorant one would not
    even probably notice - like the standard Mac system fonts Vs.
    the standard Win system fonts used for menus etc., which CAN be
    changed in any case).

    The easiest programming language is Visual Basic. I know the
    names of several others, but there are MANY and I wouldn't even
    mess with Visual Basic. Plenty of free software around.

    --
    The Onion: Is there a God?
    Winona Ryder: Is there a God?
    thanatoid, Feb 22, 2010
  8. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    "nobody >" <> wrote in

    > richard wrote:
    >> Now because I am sooooooooo stooooooopppppppppiddddd, I'd just like
    >> to know. Exactly what language is "ultimate boot disk" written in?
    >> From what I saw on the information page at sourceforge, well that
    >> screen shot sure like DOS to me.

    > DOS is a language ??

    Sure it is - *if* you're talking about a CLI. bash is a CLI and *is*
    definitely a programming language - while loops, a proper for statement,
    case statements, all allowing blocks of statements inside them. The whole
    nine yards. MSDOS however is just a touch below that. It *does* have a for
    statement, but it's just that - a statement without it surrounding a block
    of code that it repeats. It only does *one* statement with a list of
    parameters.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Feb 22, 2010