    want to do and VS looks a lot better.

    Ideas...?

    Ardna

    Ardna, May 23, 2004

  2. Ardna

    Billy Joe Guest

    Ardna wrote:
    > I have downloaded the trial version of Ulead's VideoStudio 8.
    > When I attempted to get it to use the Hauppauge WinTV card
    > installed, it aborts complaining about uvcapmaindlg.dll.
    >
    > I searched the Ulead website and of course there is an issue
    > with Hauppauge WinTV drivers and VideoStudio 6 & 7, no
    > mention of VS 8.
    >
    > Moviefactory 2 SE came with the Hauppauge card but it is
    > limited in what I want to do and VS looks a lot better.
    >
    > Ideas...?
    >
    > Ardna

    I use the H-250 WinTV2000 capture combo.
    I tossed the UL stuff included in the pkg after a few minutes of
    poking about in it.
    I kept the nanoMPEg editor, as it is incredibly fast when
    compared with TMPGEnc tools.

    I also bought a LiteOn 2001 MPEG4 capable DVD player. It plays
    unauthoured MPEG2/MP2 files as produced by the H-250 and as
    edited with nano. It also plays most any video format files,
    including unauthored VOBs, and of course AVIs.

    However, I don't like storing data in MPEG2 format, when MPEG 4
    is so much more space conservative. So, I convert the 12 mbps
    captures via VDub-MPEG2 using the Divx 5.1.1 codec and an MP3
    audio codec.

    60 minute broadcasts are 45 minutes or less, after editing. And
    30 minute broadcasts are typically less than 22 minutes after
    editing. Using Divx, I encode to a tad less than 1.2 mbps (10%
    of the capture size) with superb results. So, I get about 25
    half hour shows, or 12 one hour shows, on a data formatted (ISO)
    DVD5.

    I don't know what it is that you want to do that's different.
    Waste a lot of personal time and disk space on menus, perhaps?
    These MPEG4 equipped players have built in menu systems which
    display file names just like windows explorer folders. What
    more could one need?

    BTW, the first thing I did with the H-250 was convert VHS tapes.
    Many of those were TV captures at the 8 hour setting. I was
    very impressed with the result. Mind you, I did use a 6 head,
    19 micron player to initially record many of them and to play
    them for the conversion. In retrospect, I wish I'd been less
    space conscious when VHS recording Max Headroom ;-0) But the
    Divx/AVI final result looks almost as good as the 2 tapes.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, May 24, 2004

  3. Ardna

    luminos Guest

    "Ardna" <> wrote in message
    > I have downloaded the trial version of Ulead's VideoStudio 8. When I
    > attempted to get it to use the Hauppauge WinTV card installed, it aborts
    > complaining about uvcapmaindlg.dll.

    See my response in a thread below below. You will not get capturing on
    other software. You capture with your native Hauppauge software and edit
    and master with other software.

    What about this do you fail to understand?

    luminos, May 24, 2004