Ulead DvdMF2 : Serious audio sync problem

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by EtEroGeNeO, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. EtEroGeNeO

    EtEroGeNeO Guest

    I get mad about this problem.

    I put 3 vcd files in 1 dvd-r, with menus, 3 different tracks, audio 48k.

    When I "output" on hard disk the project, the audio is out of sync, less
    than a second, but out of sync. Obvios that the original mpgeg is right.

    I read past posts, updated patchs, defrag hard disk, corrected original
    mpgegs with mpgcorrector, but the result is even worse !

    Tryied it with TMPenc Dvd Author and the output where right at first strike.

    I can't believe I cannot use Movie Factory to do this, I like his easy way
    to project dvd, can someone help me ?

    Cheers

    Jex

    EtEroGeNeO, Sep 13, 2003

  2. EtEroGeNeO

    Dr. Mercury Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:15:32 +0200, "EtEroGeNeO"
    <> wrote:

    >I get mad about this problem.
    >
    >I put 3 vcd files in 1 dvd-r, with menus, 3 different tracks, audio 48k.

    Just to note, there is no such thing as a VCD with a 48KHz audio
    track. Nor an SVCD, for that matter. Both use 44.1KHz.

    >When I "output" on hard disk the project, the audio is out of sync, less
    >than a second, but out of sync. Obvios that the original mpgeg is right.

    Not necessarily, in the sense that the movie players are much more
    tolerant than the editors and encoders when it comes to small glitches
    in the movie.

    As far as your problem goes, it might be that it's because the VCDs
    were rendered using 23 fps. The two ULead programs, MovieFactory and
    Workshop, are both looking for a 29 fps render. They'll accept and
    save the 23s without re-encoding them, but the chapter points will be
    off when the movie is played back on the DVD player. It's possible
    your problem is related.

    Try this: Load the MPEG into TMPGEnc, load the DVD-CQ29 template from
    this package: www.svcd.cc/2211/aps/templates.zip, and render it.
    That's a DVD with a 29 fps rate and no Pulldown. Since you'll
    probably have plenty of disc space to spare, open the Settings,
    Constant Quality setting and crank the CQ up to 100 for a maximum
    quality render.

    Hope that works,
    Doc

    --

    For all of your DVD, SVCD and DivX needs: www.svcd.cc
    DVD/R info: www.svcd.cc/dvdrinfo.htm

    a.b.vcd FAQ: http://abvcd.home.comcast.net/FAQ/abvcdfaq5.01.htm
    a.b.vcd.svcd charter: www.svcd.cc/charter.htm

    Dr. Mercury, Sep 13, 2003

  3. EtEroGeNeO

    EtEroGeNeO Guest

    Thank you very much Dr. Mercury, I'm going to try your preciuos suggests.

    Jex

    EtEroGeNeO, Sep 13, 2003
  4. EtEroGeNeO

    EtEroGeNeO Guest

    > Try this: Load the MPEG into TMPGEnc, load the DVD-CQ29 template from
    > this package: www.svcd.cc/2211/aps/templates.zip, and render it.
    > That's a DVD with a 29 fps rate and no Pulldown. Since you'll
    > probably have plenty of disc space to spare, open the Settings,
    > Constant Quality setting and crank the CQ up to 100 for a maximum
    > quality render.

    Thank you very much for suggestions.

    Files are rendering just now, a question :

    One thing I didn't tell you : I made these 3 files for dvd-r in this way :

    Mpeg-1, 352x288, mpegaudio 48khz, size about 1.5mb each, than I put it in
    UleadMovieFactory.

    I see the template DVD-CQ29 you indicated me is for Mpeg2, I wonder if I
    miss something, I fear the size exceed for fit to dvd.

    Thank for your help

    Jex

    EtEroGeNeO, Sep 13, 2003
  5. EtEroGeNeO

    Dr. Mercury Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:11:31 +0200, "EtEroGeNeO"
    <> wrote:

    >> Try this: Load the MPEG into TMPGEnc, load the DVD-CQ29 template from
    >> this package: www.svcd.cc/2211/aps/templates.zip, and render it.
    >> That's a DVD with a 29 fps rate and no Pulldown. Since you'll
    >> probably have plenty of disc space to spare, open the Settings,
    >> Constant Quality setting and crank the CQ up to 100 for a maximum
    >> quality render.

    >Thank you very much for suggestions.
    >
    >Files are rendering just now, a question :
    >
    >One thing I didn't tell you : I made these 3 files for dvd-r in this way :
    >
    >Mpeg-1, 352x288, mpegaudio 48khz, size about 1.5mb each, than I put it in
    >UleadMovieFactory.

    Nope, that's backwards. What you want to do is use TMPGEnc to render
    the movies to DVD specifications, then dump those into the menu-maker
    of choice. Otherwise, the menu-maker is going to have to re-encode
    things to DVD specs, and it's MUCH better to let TMPGEnc do it.

    >I see the template DVD-CQ29 you indicated me is for Mpeg2, I wonder if I
    >miss something, I fear the size exceed for fit to dvd.

    Well, you've got 4.38 gigs to play with, minus a bit for the
    menu-maker's files, so you should have plenty of room. Nor do you
    have to crank the CQ slider all the way up to 100% for maximum
    quality, producing such large files. Setting it around 90 is still
    almost-perfect, and the file sizes will be dramatically lower.

    Assuming all three files are the same length in time, what you'd do
    would be to render each one to a third of 4.38 gigs, or around 1350
    megs. The size is adjusted by the CQ slider. When all three are
    around 1350 megs, into the menu-maker they go.

    The only difficult part is determining the correct CQ to reach 1350
    megs. You can render a part, then use some simple algebra to
    determine what the CQ should be to reach the desired size, or you can
    give the DVD version of the NIMF a try:

    www.svcd.cc/2211/dvdr/formula3.htm

    That's for three movies, using 1350 megs as the target goal. What it
    does is actually pretty cool, and beats the hell out of the way we've
    been using to determine the CQ in the past.

    Have fun,
    Doc

    Dr. Mercury, Sep 14, 2003
  6. EtEroGeNeO

    EtEroGeNeO Guest

    Sorry to bother you again,

    I tried your way of the 3 files of 1350.

    With CQ at 80 I had 2600mb, so that put CQ at 40, thinking it gave me the
    half size, but it come out a 2Gb... Why ?

    Before I try to go low with CQ I ask if has sense a CQ of 20 or less, may be
    the quality if unacceptable ?

    Thanx again

    Jex

    EtEroGeNeO, Sep 15, 2003
  7. EtEroGeNeO

    Dr. Mercury Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:17:14 +0200, "EtEroGeNeO"
    <> wrote:

    >Sorry to bother you again,
    >
    >I tried your way of the 3 files of 1350.
    >
    >With CQ at 80 I had 2600mb, so that put CQ at 40, thinking it gave me the
    >half size, but it come out a 2Gb... Why ?

    Okay, here's the deal: Using the standard DVD specs of 2000 minimum
    bitrate and 8000 max, you can get about two hours on a DVD. If you
    see "120 Min" on the jewel box, that's what it means. Most of the
    menu-makers are looking for these specs and if they don't see them,
    they'll want to re-encode everything.

    Some of the menu-makers, however, like SpruceUp and DVDit, are a
    little more tolerant of the bitrates (both min and max) and will
    process the files as long as two other parameters are met, a 720 x 480
    resolution and a 48KHz audio sampling rate.

    If you want to put more than around 2 hours on a disc, you have two
    choices:

    1. Render it below specs and use SpruceUp or DVDit for the authoring.
    The stock DVD template locks the minimum bitrate at 2000, which is why
    your file was so large. To get around it, use the 'Hybrid' template
    in this file: www.svcd.cc/2211/aps/templates.zip. It has the DVD
    resolution and audio rate, but the minimum and maximum bitrates are
    more along the lines of SVCD specs, allowing much more material to be
    put on a disc.

    2. Render the movies to SVCD, then use a header patcher to convert
    the SVCD headers to DVD specs, thereby fooling the menu-makers into
    thinking everything is compliant. This works with most of the
    menu-makers, and if you figure 1600 megs per SVCD, then you can slip
    two SVCD movies onto one DVD disc, or four hours of movie time. You
    can actually get about 2 1/2 movies per disc, but most people don't
    want to split up movie halves like that, so we just figure 2 movies
    per disc.

    When I wrote you yesterday, I was somehow figuring that the three
    clips you had were 1-hour TV shows or something, and that using the
    stock DVD template would keep them under 1350 megs. If they hit 2
    gigs, though, it sounds like they're longer than that, at which point
    you cross the line as to what you can put on the DVD using normal
    methods & templates, or around 120 minutes of movie time.

    Since you haven't rendered anything yet, it would probably be best to
    render them to SVCD specs and use the header patchers. That way you
    get a wider selection of menu-makers. The two programs I've tested
    (and have guides for) are (S)VCD2DVDMPG and DVD Patcher.
    (S)VCD2DVDMPG is easier to use but won't work in SpruceUp. DVD
    Patcher takes more steps on your part and won't work in MovieFactory.

    Hope that helps,
    Doc

    Dr. Mercury, Sep 15, 2003