    related voluntary work. Whilst accepting their are no guarantees is this
    world I would appreciate the opinion of people already employed in the
    industry as to which would do most to increase my chances.

    M, Jul 2, 2006

  2. Re: UK Only: Trying to start a career in Tech support with MCP,MCDST and A+

    M wrote:
    > I am a qualified MCP, MCDST and A+ certified. I had hoped that this would
    > have been enough to get an interview but it hasn't. I am now considering my
    > options. I could study to be an MCSA, Comptia Linux+ or try to find IT
    > related voluntary work. Whilst accepting their are no guarantees is this
    > world I would appreciate the opinion of people already employed in the
    > industry as to which would do most to increase my chances.

    Do *NOT* worry about certs. They're useless. Some employers who have a
    clue consider certs as a bad thing. You'll only end up getting hired by
    some idiotic company that think certs matter. Not a good thing.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 2, 2006

  3. M

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 16:19:29 +0100, M wrote:

    >I am a qualified MCP, MCDST and A+ certified. I had hoped that this would

    Oh dear, thinking certs mean something especially in IT.

    >have been enough to get an interview but it hasn't. I am now considering my

    Nope what went before sometimes matters more. No IT qualifications for
    me , years of practical experience From early DOS 3.x , Windows Runtime,
    IBM / DR DOS, Novell, CDOS, lots of networking, admin , scripting /
    programming, Linux. Very little of that was after the BSc, afterwards
    Pathworks, Solaris , DNS, WINS, Web authoring, serious level networking
    500+ of uses, to 1400 approx shared by 2 staff locally and more in
    managment centers. Amongst that lots and lots of application skills.

    Need desktop & server - Windows and non-Windows experience.

    >options. I could study to be an MCSA, Comptia Linux+ or try to find IT

    Not much better.

    >related voluntary work. Whilst accepting their are no guarantees is this

    Better, at least some varied practical skills and different situations
    to get going with.

    >world I would appreciate the opinion of people already employed in the
    >industry as to which would do most to increase my chances.

    OTOH don't. Look for something else.
    Just in the last few years, many support company have had big changes
    with staffing cuts, mergers, moving services to the far east. We (group)
    were almost sold off / pushed out 2 or 3 times in the last 4 years.

    And it's just not the small guys, it's HP, IBM, Sun, CSC all cutting
    staff levels by 1000's.

    In some cases 10,000's.

    Outsourcing , onsourcing and any other surrent silly term used to buy /
    sell and cut jobs.

    See places like, IT news sites.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/

    Saying that, there was a thread last week which talked about expansion
    in .NET Enterprise business software development.

    A lot of Cisco router / networking experience still seems to be a good
    thing, so does MS AD.

    Me

    why?, Jul 2, 2006
  4. M

    Guest

    "M" <> wrote:

    |>I am a qualified MCP, MCDST and A+ certified. I had hoped that this would
    |>have been enough to get an interview but it hasn't. I am now considering my
    |>options. I could study to be an MCSA, Comptia Linux+ or try to find IT
    |>related voluntary work. Whilst accepting their are no guarantees is this
    |>world I would appreciate the opinion of people already employed in the
    |>industry as to which would do most to increase my chances.

    Employers have learn'd that certs mean nothing and experience is
    everything, might not push the certs too much.
    http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/01/1928228

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/ebbpc

    , Jul 2, 2006
  5. M

    Plato Guest

    M wrote:

    > I am a qualified MCP, MCDST and A+ certified. I had hoped that this would
    > have been enough to get an interview but it hasn't. I am now considering my
    > options. I could study to be an MCSA, Comptia Linux+ or try to find IT
    > related voluntary work. Whilst accepting their are no guarantees is this
    > world I would appreciate the opinion of people already employed in the
    > industry as to which would do most to increase my chances.

    When replying to job adverts, create a new resume for each job and use
    the same words in your resume that are used in the job ad to get an
    interview.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 3, 2006