    Thanks.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 29, 2012

  2. Joe Kotroczo

    Bruce Guest

    Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    >Hello all,
    >Quick question: can anyone recommend a good camera shop in Central or
    >North London?

    Quick answer: There are a great many good camera shops in Central and
    North London and some are truly excellent.

    Recommending one (or several) would be made much easier if one knew
    what sort of equipment you were intending to buy. New, used,
    collectable, digital, film, what format, what brand(s)?
    Bruce, Mar 29, 2012

  3. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 29/03/2012 15:48, Bruce wrote:
    > Joe Kotroczo<> wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >> Quick question: can anyone recommend a good camera shop in Central or
    >> North London?

    > Quick answer: There are a great many good camera shops in Central and
    > North London and some are truly excellent.
    >
    > Recommending one (or several) would be made much easier if one knew
    > what sort of equipment you were intending to buy. New, used,
    > collectable, digital, film, what format, what brand(s)?

    New digital, probably an EOS 60D with an 15-85mm. (Although someone
    mentioned I should also look at the Sony A77 with the 16-50mm. Hmm...)

    I do own some ancient analogue (Canon A1) which now and then gets an
    airing, but I need the digital for work and I'm keen to upgrade from my G11.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 29, 2012
  4. Joe Kotroczo

    Bruce Guest

    Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    >On 29/03/2012 15:48, Bruce wrote:
    >> Joe Kotroczo<> wrote:
    >>> Hello all,
    >>> Quick question: can anyone recommend a good camera shop in Central or
    >>> North London?

    >> Quick answer: There are a great many good camera shops in Central and
    >> North London and some are truly excellent.
    >>
    >> Recommending one (or several) would be made much easier if one knew
    >> what sort of equipment you were intending to buy. New, used,
    >> collectable, digital, film, what format, what brand(s)?

    >New digital, probably an EOS 60D with an 15-85mm. (Although someone
    >mentioned I should also look at the Sony A77 with the 16-50mm. Hmm...)
    >
    >I do own some ancient analogue (Canon A1) which now and then gets an
    >airing, but I need the digital for work and I'm keen to upgrade from my G11.

    I don't know where you are from, but if you are from North America you
    are likely to get much better deals at home. Even buying tax-free in
    London you will still pay typically 20-30% more than you would pay at
    B&H or Adorama. There is also the issue of whether a warranty on
    equipment sold in London would be valid in your home country. You
    should research this before making any decisions.

    Jessops is the largest UK chain of photo stores with over 200
    locations. However they tend to be expensive.

    I would recommend visiting Cameraworld (no connection with the US
    company) at Wells Street, London W1 (just off Oxford Street which is
    the main shopping street) and Jacobs at New Oxford Street. Both
    stores are well served by Tube (Subway) and bus services, and both
    stores are experienced at dealing with VAT (sales tax) refunds.

    Both sell used equipment but they have other branches so it would be
    best to give them a call about anything you see on their web site.
    Both stores will arrange viewing of used items at their London stores
    if given a few days' notice:

    Cameraworld
    14 Wells Street
    London
    W1T 3PB

    Tel: 020 7636 5005
    Email:
    http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/

    Jacobs
    74 New Oxford Street
    London
    WC1A 1EU

    Tel: 020 7436 5544
    Email:
    http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/

    I have no connection with either company but have bought equipment
    from both of them and been entirely satisfied.
    Bruce, Mar 29, 2012
  5. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 29/03/2012 18:47, Bruce wrote:
    > Joe Kotroczo<> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Quick answer: There are a great many good camera shops in Central and
    >>> North London and some are truly excellent.
    >>>
    >>> Recommending one (or several) would be made much easier if one knew
    >>> what sort of equipment you were intending to buy. New, used,
    >>> collectable, digital, film, what format, what brand(s)?

    >> New digital, probably an EOS 60D with an 15-85mm. (Although someone
    >> mentioned I should also look at the Sony A77 with the 16-50mm. Hmm...)
    >>
    >> I do own some ancient analogue (Canon A1) which now and then gets an
    >> airing, but I need the digital for work and I'm keen to upgrade from my G11.

    > I don't know where you are from, but if you are from North America you
    > are likely to get much better deals at home.

    Erm, I'm from London? Well, not originally, but I've been here for
    nearly 4 years now. Never been to the US of A, and I intend to keep it
    that way.

    (...)
    > Jessops is the largest UK chain of photo stores with over 200
    > locations. However they tend to be expensive.
    >
    > I would recommend visiting Cameraworld (no connection with the US
    > company) at Wells Street, London W1 (just off Oxford Street which is
    > the main shopping street) and Jacobs at New Oxford Street.

    Thanks! Cameraworld has some interesting used gear, I shall get in touch
    with them.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 29, 2012
  6. Joe Kotroczo

    Bruce Guest

    Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    >On 29/03/2012 18:47, Bruce wrote:
    >> Joe Kotroczo<> wrote:

    >>> New digital, probably an EOS 60D with an 15-85mm. (Although someone
    >>> mentioned I should also look at the Sony A77 with the 16-50mm. Hmm...)
    >>>
    >>> I do own some ancient analogue (Canon A1) which now and then gets an
    >>> airing, but I need the digital for work and I'm keen to upgrade from my G11.

    >> I don't know where you are from, but if you are from North America you
    >> are likely to get much better deals at home.

    >Erm, I'm from London? Well, not originally, but I've been here for
    >nearly 4 years now. Never been to the US of A, and I intend to keep it
    >that way.

    Then you will already know to avoid Jessops. ;-)

    >> I would recommend visiting Cameraworld (no connection with the US
    >> company) at Wells Street, London W1 (just off Oxford Street which is
    >> the main shopping street) and Jacobs at New Oxford Street.

    >Thanks! Cameraworld has some interesting used gear, I shall get in touch
    >with them.

    As you live in London and presumably have no problems finding your way
    around, there are some other Canon dealers you might like to visit:

    York Cameras Ltd
    18 Bury Place (close to main entrance of British Museum)
    London
    WC1A 2JL
    Tel: 020 7242 7182
    Email:
    http://www.yorkcameras.co.uk/

    Fixation (also do Canon authorised repairs - *excellent* service)
    250 Kennington Lane
    London
    SE11 5RD
    Tel: 020 7582 3294
    Email:
    http://www.fixationuk.com

    Calumet
    93-103 Drummond St
    London
    NW1 2HU
    Tel: 020 7380 1144
    Fax: 020 7387 3354
    Email: see contact form on web site
    http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk

    A little further afield:

    SRS Microsystems Ltd
    94 The Parade
    High Street
    Watford
    WD17 1AW
    Email:
    http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk

    All the above give excellent support for Canon users.
    Bruce, Mar 30, 2012
  7. Joe Kotroczo

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > On 29/03/2012 15:48, Bruce wrote:
    > > Joe Kotroczo<> wrote:
    > >> Hello all,
    > >> Quick question: can anyone recommend a good camera shop in Central or
    > >> North London?

    > > Quick answer: There are a great many good camera shops in Central and
    > > North London and some are truly excellent.
    > >
    > > Recommending one (or several) would be made much easier if one knew
    > > what sort of equipment you were intending to buy. New, used,
    > > collectable, digital, film, what format, what brand(s)?

    > New digital, probably an EOS 60D with an 15-85mm. (Although someone
    > mentioned I should also look at the Sony A77 with the 16-50mm. Hmm...)

    If you're shopping for an SLR don't look at the camera, look at the
    system. Canon and Nikon both have very complete systems with a lot of
    third-party support. Other manufacturers not so much. And if you're
    not going to be using any other parts of the system then think very
    carefully about why you're looking at an SLR in the first place.

    J. Clarke, Mar 30, 2012
  8. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/03/2012 00:58, Bruce wrote:

    (...)
    >>> I don't know where you are from, but if you are from North America you
    >>> are likely to get much better deals at home.

    >> Erm, I'm from London? Well, not originally, but I've been here for
    >> nearly 4 years now. Never been to the US of A, and I intend to keep it
    >> that way.

    > Then you will already know to avoid Jessops. ;-)

    Actually I didn't. Thanks for that.

    Thanks for the info!

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 30, 2012
  9. "Joe Kotroczo" <> wrote in message
    > On 30/03/2012 00:58, Bruce wrote:

    []
    >> Then you will already know to avoid Jessops. ;-)

    > Actually I didn't. Thanks for that.
    >
    > Thanks for the info!

    I've actually found Jessops to be quite helpful, and they used to match
    Internet prices. I don't think they still do that, though. We have a
    Jacobs almost next door to the Jessops, and they seem to have a better
    range in stock.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 30, 2012
  10. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/03/2012 14:04, J. Clarke wrote:
    (...)

    >> New digital, probably an EOS 60D with an 15-85mm. (Although someone
    >> mentioned I should also look at the Sony A77 with the 16-50mm. Hmm...)

    > If you're shopping for an SLR don't look at the camera, look at the
    > system. Canon and Nikon both have very complete systems with a lot of
    > third-party support. Other manufacturers not so much. And if you're
    > not going to be using any other parts of the system then think very
    > carefully about why you're looking at an SLR in the first place.

    Believe me, I've thought long and hard about this. Photography is an
    important part of my job after all, even if not many people will ever
    get to see the photos.

    The only thing that annoys me about Canon is lack of GPS. But I can work
    around that. The thing that intrigues me about the Sony is the EVF. The
    thing that worries me about the Sony is low light performance.

    Do you really think that the Sony/Minolta system is lacking in
    completeness to the extent that you would discourage people from buying it?

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 30, 2012
  11. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/03/2012 15:53, David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Joe Kotroczo"<> wrote in message
    >> On 30/03/2012 00:58, Bruce wrote:

    > []
    >>> Then you will already know to avoid Jessops. ;-)

    >> Actually I didn't. Thanks for that.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the info!

    > I've actually found Jessops to be quite helpful, and they used to match
    > Internet prices. I don't think they still do that, though. We have a
    > Jacobs almost next door to the Jessops, and they seem to have a better
    > range in stock.

    Prices for the 60D seem to be the same everywhere...

    So it's really a question of establishing a relationship with a shop
    that has good service.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 30, 2012
  12. Joe Kotroczo <> writes:

    > On 30/03/2012 14:04, J. Clarke wrote:
    > (...)
    >>>
    >>> New digital, probably an EOS 60D with an 15-85mm. (Although someone
    >>> mentioned I should also look at the Sony A77 with the 16-50mm. Hmm...)

    >> If you're shopping for an SLR don't look at the camera, look at the
    >> system. Canon and Nikon both have very complete systems with a lot of
    >> third-party support. Other manufacturers not so much. And if you're
    >> not going to be using any other parts of the system then think very
    >> carefully about why you're looking at an SLR in the first place.

    > Believe me, I've thought long and hard about this. Photography is an
    > important part of my job after all, even if not many people will ever
    > get to see the photos.
    >
    > The only thing that annoys me about Canon is lack of GPS. But I can
    > work around that. The thing that intrigues me about the Sony is the
    > EVF. The thing that worries me about the Sony is low light
    > performance.
    >
    > Do you really think that the Sony/Minolta system is lacking in
    > completeness to the extent that you would discourage people from
    > buying it?

    I think it's ruled out of initial consideration by most serious
    photographers for that reason.

    A *few* people who know their needs very well, and are confident they're
    stable, are very happy with it. And a lot of new people who haven't
    gone through multiple system transitions to really understand what a
    pain it is are buying it.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 30, 2012
  13. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/03/2012 18:34, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > Joe Kotroczo<> writes:

    (...)
    >> Do you really think that the Sony/Minolta system is lacking in
    >> completeness to the extent that you would discourage people from
    >> buying it?

    > I think it's ruled out of initial consideration by most serious
    > photographers for that reason.
    >
    > A *few* people who know their needs very well, and are confident they're
    > stable, are very happy with it. And a lot of new people who haven't
    > gone through multiple system transitions to really understand what a
    > pain it is are buying it.

    My needs are fairly specific and stable. I will be using the camera for
    location scouting.

    I've been using a variety of compacts for the last 10 years or so, and
    I'm getting really tired with them. I'm looking forward to a proper
    viewfinder and a body that's more comfortable to hold than my current G11.

    I don't need much, a 24mm-70mm equivalent zoom, a 50mm equivalent prime,
    great low light performance, a body that's big enough to hold firmly and
    comfortably (bigger than a 600D body anyway). I almost never use a
    flash. I'd love to have GPS in-camera, but could work around that with a
    separate GPS logger.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 30, 2012
  14. Joe Kotroczo

    Bruce Guest

    Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:

    >On 30/03/2012 00:58, Bruce wrote:
    >
    >(...)
    >>>
    >>> Erm, I'm from London? Well, not originally, but I've been here for
    >>> nearly 4 years now. Never been to the US of A, and I intend to keep it
    >>> that way.

    >> Then you will already know to avoid Jessops. ;-)

    >Actually I didn't. Thanks for that.
    >
    >Thanks for the info!

    You're welcome!
    Bruce, Mar 30, 2012
  15. Joe Kotroczo

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > On 30/03/2012 18:34, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > > Joe Kotroczo<> writes:

    > (...)
    > >> Do you really think that the Sony/Minolta system is lacking in
    > >> completeness to the extent that you would discourage people from
    > >> buying it?

    > > I think it's ruled out of initial consideration by most serious
    > > photographers for that reason.
    > >
    > > A *few* people who know their needs very well, and are confident they're
    > > stable, are very happy with it. And a lot of new people who haven't
    > > gone through multiple system transitions to really understand what a
    > > pain it is are buying it.

    > My needs are fairly specific and stable. I will be using the camera for
    > location scouting.
    >
    > I've been using a variety of compacts for the last 10 years or so, and
    > I'm getting really tired with them. I'm looking forward to a proper
    > viewfinder and a body that's more comfortable to hold than my current G11.
    >
    > I don't need much, a 24mm-70mm equivalent zoom, a 50mm equivalent prime,
    > great low light performance, a body that's big enough to hold firmly and
    > comfortably (bigger than a 600D body anyway). I almost never use a
    > flash. I'd love to have GPS in-camera, but could work around that with a
    > separate GPS logger.

    May be more than you want to spend but look at a Nikon D3S. Add the GP-
    1 GPS that fits in the hot shoe, and a couple of lenses, and every one
    of your points is hit. It's a large body, I don't think anything on the
    market has beaten the low light performance yet, has the GPS, if not in-
    camera then on-camera, and the lenses you ask for are readily available
    from Nikon and from several third-parties.
    J. Clarke, Mar 31, 2012
  16. "Joe Kotroczo" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Prices for the 60D seem to be the same everywhere...
    >
    > So it's really a question of establishing a relationship with a shop
    > that has good service.

    May I ask - what particular service do you need? As you are thinking of a
    mainstream camera and lens, many shops should be able to get you a repair
    or replacement in the case of problems. Are you anticipating it going
    wrong often? Or are you thinking buying "service" - advice on brands or
    lenses? Trying the kit in your own hands and checking the menus and
    function buttons and wheels is important, I think.

    I used to have a good relationship when I was buying my Nikon SLRs back in
    Cambridge, but these days advice is so widely available from many places
    on the Internet that I've not felt the need to have a relationship with a
    shop in Edinburgh (the independents have mostly gone in any case). Of
    course, I'm just buying one camera and one lens every few years....

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 31, 2012
  17. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 31/03/2012 06:51, David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Joe Kotroczo"<> wrote in message
    > []
    >> Prices for the 60D seem to be the same everywhere...
    >>
    >> So it's really a question of establishing a relationship with a shop
    >> that has good service.

    > May I ask - what particular service do you need? As you are thinking of a
    > mainstream camera and lens, many shops should be able to get you a repair
    > or replacement in the case of problems. Are you anticipating it going
    > wrong often? Or are you thinking buying "service" - advice on brands or
    > lenses? Trying the kit in your own hands and checking the menus and
    > function buttons and wheels is important, I think.

    It's just a way of choosing who to buy from. If the price is the same
    everywhere, the only thing left as far is I can tell is to go for a
    friendly and helpful shop.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 31, 2012
  18. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 31/03/2012 00:49, J. Clarke wrote:

    (...)

    >> I don't need much, a 24mm-70mm equivalent zoom, a 50mm equivalent prime,
    >> great low light performance, a body that's big enough to hold firmly and
    >> comfortably (bigger than a 600D body anyway). I almost never use a
    >> flash. I'd love to have GPS in-camera, but could work around that with a
    >> separate GPS logger.

    > May be more than you want to spend but look at a Nikon D3S.

    You're right, that's way way more than I want to spend. :)

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 31, 2012
  19. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 31/03/2012 01:13, Savageduck wrote:

    (...)
    >>> I don't need much, a 24mm-70mm equivalent zoom, a 50mm equivalent prime,
    >>> great low light performance, a body that's big enough to hold firmly and
    >>> comfortably (bigger than a 600D body anyway). I almost never use a
    >>> flash. I'd love to have GPS in-camera, but could work around that with a
    >>> separate GPS logger.

    >> May be more than you want to spend but look at a Nikon D3S. Add the GP-
    >> 1 GPS that fits in the hot shoe, and a couple of lenses, and every one
    >> of your points is hit. It's a large body, I don't think anything on the
    >> market has beaten the low light performance yet, has the GPS, if not in-
    >> camera then on-camera, and the lenses you ask for are readily available
    >> from Nikon and from several third-parties.

    > I use the GP-1 with my D300S and it does a pretty good job. It will
    > also work on all Nikon DSLRs from the D90 on up. In terms of
    > performance vs cost the D7000 is probably the choice for APS-C Nikons,
    > and the D700& D3S for full frame.

    To be honest, I've pretty much ruled out Nikon purely on the grounds
    that their system is too confusing. As far as I can tell, some lenses
    work with some bodies but not with others, some bodies have an autofocus
    motor, some haven't, and so on.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Mar 31, 2012
  20. "Joe Kotroczo" <> wrote in message
    []
    > To be honest, I've pretty much ruled out Nikon purely on the grounds
    > that their system is too confusing. As far as I can tell, some lenses
    > work with some bodies but not with others, some bodies have an autofocus
    > motor, some haven't, and so on.

    Canon have similar issues with their full-frame and APS-C lenses.

    With Nikon, all modern lenses have auto-focus built into the lens, so
    there's no need for an auto-focus motor in the body, and the entry-level
    DSLRs omit the motor, saving weight and money.

    Unless you already have lenses (which you don't), and unless you are
    buying the entry level models (which I don't think you are), it's a
    non-issue. When I was considering which DSLR to get, I tried models from
    both Canon and Nikon in the shop, and preferred the handling of the Nikon,
    and as it's a tool you will use a lot, I think that handling is quite
    important.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 31, 2012