    "exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
    between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?

    (Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)
    Jordan, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Jordan

    Allan Guest

    Keep an eye here:

    http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=7080

    On 24 Jul 2005 14:39:30 -0700, "Jordan" <> wrote:

    >Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
    >"exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
    >between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?
    >
    >(Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Jordan

    TSKO Guest

    Go to digitalbits.com and get the scoop

    TSKO, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    I'm aware that Digital Bits talks about the difference in bonus
    material. I'm more interested in any difference in the episodes
    themselves.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jul 24, 2005
  5. Jordan

    Justin Guest

    Jordan wrote on [24 Jul 2005 14:39:30 -0700]:
    > Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
    > "exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
    > between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?
    >
    > (Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

    Different opening music
    Justin, Jul 25, 2005
  6. Jordan

    Earl Grieda Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > I'm aware that Digital Bits talks about the difference in bonus
    > material. I'm more interested in any difference in the episodes
    > themselves.

    I think someone said the September US release will include deleted scenes.
    The question is will the deleted scenes be shown as part of the episode, or
    just as a standalone deleted scene included on another disc. If they are
    just short distinct scenes and not part of the episode then they are
    essentially useless.
    Earl Grieda, Jul 25, 2005
  7. Jordan

    jayembee Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote:

    > Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
    > "exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
    > between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?
    >
    > (Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

    There's nothing notably different about the episodes themselves. Slight
    differences in the theme music (Sci Fi took out the choral bits when airing the
    episodes in the US; they appear to have added them back in for the new
    season). There were some slight edits made to at least one early episode when
    it aired in the UK, but the DVD is uncut.

    Anyway, as far as I know, Universal's Region 1 DVD set will feature the original
    theme music rather than Sci Fi's edited version.

    I'm not sure if this is the reason why Best Buy refers to this release as the
    "UK Edition", but it appears that their release is an exact duplicate of the R2
    release (except for the region-code and being NTSC instead of PAL).
    Universal's wider release in September will have much more extensive extras.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 25, 2005
  8. Jordan

    Justin Guest

    Earl Grieda wrote on [Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:31:05 GMT]:

    > "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm aware that Digital Bits talks about the difference in bonus
    >> material. I'm more interested in any difference in the episodes
    >> themselves.
    >>

    > I think someone said the September US release will include deleted scenes.
    > The question is will the deleted scenes be shown as part of the episode, or
    > just as a standalone deleted scene included on another disc. If they are
    > just short distinct scenes and not part of the episode then they are
    > essentially useless.

    Deleted scenes are rarely useless, and can be quite insightful
    Justin, Jul 25, 2005
  9. In article <>, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    > "Jordan" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Best Buy has the Battlestar Season 1 DVD set listed as being an
    > > "exclusive UK edition". ?Huh? Anyone know what the difference is
    > > between the 13 episodes in the US and the UK?
    > >
    > > (Still getting it for the bonus Serenity DVD.)

    > There's nothing notably different about the episodes themselves. Slight
    > differences in the theme music (Sci Fi took out the choral bits when airing
    > the
    > episodes in the US; they appear to have added them back in for the new
    > season). There were some slight edits made to at least one early episode when
    > it aired in the UK, but the DVD is uncut.
    >
    > Anyway, as far as I know, Universal's Region 1 DVD set will feature the
    > original
    > theme music rather than Sci Fi's edited version.
    >
    > I'm not sure if this is the reason why Best Buy refers to this release as the
    > "UK Edition", but it appears that their release is an exact duplicate of the
    > R2
    > release (except for the region-code and being NTSC instead of PAL).
    > Universal's wider release in September will have much more extensive extras.

    It's a promotional deal between NBC-Universal and Best Buy. It's
    basically what you said, an NTSC dump of the original PAL masters
    without any other significant changes. Best Buy is engineering as many
    of these deals as possible, trying to become "the" place to get early
    releases of shows and movies. So, the reason it's the "UK version,"
    is because every other major retailer, i.e. Amazon, Good Guys, Sam
    Goodies, Circuit City, etc. would howl if NBC-Universal shipped a
    domestic product to Best Buys for 30 days. Look for Best Buy to do the
    same thing later this year with the DVD of the ten-year-old show,
    Space: Above and Beyond. I believe they will have it for 30 days
    before everyone else gets to sell it.

    Best, R.E.F.
    Raymond Feist, Jul 25, 2005
  10. "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > I'm aware that Digital Bits talks about the difference in bonus
    > material. I'm more interested in any difference in the episodes
    > themselves.
    >
    > - Jordan

    Same here. If the episodes themselves are going to have exactly the same
    footage, no need to wait unless you really want to have the bonus stuff.
    Michael Walker, Jul 25, 2005
  11. Jordan

    Allan Guest

    Allan, Jul 25, 2005