    as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover travelling
    abroad occasionally.

    Cheers.

    Matt, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Matt

    teflon Guest

    On 29/11/04 4:37 pm, in article cofivl$jek$, "Matt"
    <> wrote:

    > Any recommendations for companies who provide good camera insurance. Such
    > as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover travelling
    > abroad occasionally.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Camerasure - but it's bloody expensive!

    Unless you need professional indemnity, get it under home insurance with
    extra cover for expensive items outside.

    teflon, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Matt

    Alan Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Any recommendations for companies who provide good camera insurance. Such
    > as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover travelling
    > abroad occasionally.
    >
    > Cheers.

    I use Glover & Howe Insurance services for this:

    01206 814502

    Alan, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Matt

    Dave Guest

    teflon wrote:
    > On 29/11/04 4:37 pm, in article cofivl$jek$, "Matt"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Any recommendations for companies who provide good camera insurance. Such
    >>as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover travelling
    >>abroad occasionally.
    >>
    >>Cheers.

    > Camerasure - but it's bloody expensive!
    >
    > Unless you need professional indemnity, get it under home insurance with
    > extra cover for expensive items outside.

    I've recently (last few weeks) got burgled and lost a Nikon F3 and a
    small compact camera. My house insurance covered them (new for old) and
    when I checked the policy, I see they would have been covered outside
    the house too.

    I was rather fortunate in that the F3 was discontinued, so the nearest
    replacment (according to Jessops who the insurers appointed to deal with
    it) was an F6.

    If you can, I'd be tempted to put the money away each month and ignore
    insurance. Statistically they always win.

    I was in Argos the other day and see that you can take out an extended
    warranty on jewelry costing between £2.50 and £7.99 for the sum of 99
    pence!!! I'm not sure who would want an extended warranty on something
    costing less than 8 pounds, but Argos will do it for you! About 10 years
    ago I bought a watch costing £14.95 from Argos, and was offered an
    extended warranty on that too.

    Insurance is generally a rip-off, but in some cases there is no option
    but to have it. But do check your house insurance policy. Many companies
    will try to sell you insurance that you already have with your house
    contents insurance.

    Dave, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Matt

    Mr Jessop Guest

    > Insurance is generally a rip-off, but in some cases there is no option
    > but to have it. But do check your house insurance policy. Many companies
    > will try to sell you insurance that you already have with your house
    > contents insurance.

    House contents charge an excess. I noticed this when customers brought in
    insurance vouchers stating £500 but when scanned through the till it says
    £450. Read the samll print. £50 excess is common.

    I did not approve of previous jessops sure. 3 years insurance was really
    two as you got one free. This didn't mean you ended up with 4 years in
    total. Some manufacturers such as olympus give 2 years as standard.

    Anyway new legislation means jessops has changed its ways. If we offer to
    extend the warranty of an olympus it is cheaper than canon as it is 2+1
    years and not 1+2. Also the warranty is also accidental damage and wear and
    tear. This is much better value than previous warranty only with a hefty
    premium if you wanted accidental damage as well. I feel much more
    comfortable trying to sell this type of warranty. (note trying, i still
    haven't succeeded).

    Finally we are getting price tickets with the specific extended warranty
    price included. I believe this too is law.

    Mr Jessop, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Matt

    Mr Jessop Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message news:41adf60d@212.67.96.135...
    > teflon wrote:
    >> On 29/11/04 4:37 pm, in article cofivl$jek$, "Matt"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Any recommendations for companies who provide good camera insurance.
    >>>Such
    >>>as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover
    >>>travelling
    >>>abroad occasionally.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers.

    >> Camerasure - but it's bloody expensive!
    >>
    >> Unless you need professional indemnity, get it under home insurance with
    >> extra cover for expensive items outside.
    >>

    > I've recently (last few weeks) got burgled and lost a Nikon F3 and a small
    > compact camera. My house insurance covered them (new for old) and when I
    > checked the policy, I see they would have been covered outside the house
    > too.
    >
    > I was rather fortunate in that the F3 was discontinued, so the nearest
    > replacment (according to Jessops who the insurers appointed to deal with
    > it) was an F6.
    >
    > If you can, I'd be tempted to put the money away each month and ignore
    > insurance. Statistically they always win.
    >
    > I was in Argos the other day and see that you can take out an extended
    > warranty on jewelry costing between £2.50 and £7.99 for the sum of 99
    > pence!!! I'm not sure who would want an extended warranty on something
    > costing less than 8 pounds, but Argos will do it for you! About 10 years
    > ago I bought a watch costing £14.95 from Argos, and was offered an
    > extended warranty on that too.
    >
    > Insurance is generally a rip-off, but in some cases there is no option but
    > to have it. But do check your house insurance policy. Many companies will
    > try to sell you insurance that you already have with your house contents
    > insurance.

    oops forgot to mention that domestic and general underwrite jessops
    policies. G+D also offer insurance independently of jessops.

    Mr Jessop, Dec 4, 2004