    Thanks for any help,
    -Andy
    ==============
    BodoDin, Nov 19, 2003

  2. BodoDin

    RussS Guest

    yup - uh oh

    OK, try the recovery option and you want to fix boot & mbr - you may be
    lucky and get away with that.
    RussS, Nov 19, 2003

  3. BodoDin

    jonny bravo Guest

    "BodoDin" <> wrote in message
    > Yesterday I installed Norton Utilities, and ran "speed scan" which I
    > think is basically an advanced defrag. The problem is that before I
    > started it said I didn't have a NTFS partition, which I didn't, I
    > have a FAT32, and it said to run win doctor before. So I ran win
    > doctor, and fixed all the "errors" then went back and started "speed
    > disk." I left it on over night and when I woke up this morning, the
    > computer was restarted, but it didn't get past decting the IDE
    > devices. I tried f8 for safe mode, and del for cmos options, but it
    > just froze when "detecting IDE devices."
    > Today, I'm going to see what I can do, but any help would be greatly
    > appreciated. I have windows xp pro, and I think I'm going to try to
    > run recovery if I can boot with floppys! I don't even know if it'll
    > get that far. maybe I can detach the hard drive or what not, but I'm
    > going to try things. :/
    > Thanks for any help,
    > -Andy
    > =========

    I would suggest running a win 98 bootdisk so you can access your files &
    CDROM...
    Just kinda wondering why you wouldn't convert to NTFS to begin with...

    --
    Jonny Bravo
    Some Do, Some Don't, Some Will, Some Won't...I Might...

    ---
    jonny bravo, Nov 19, 2003
  4. BodoDin

    BodoDin Guest

    Hey. I FIXED IT! The first thing I did was clear the CMOS jumpers,
    and that did it. nice simple fix. Thanks for the info. What in the
    CMOS would cause this to happen though? Also, how do you go about
    safely converting a FAT32 to NTFS?
    Thanks,
    -Andy
    BodoDin, Nov 19, 2003
  5. BodoDin

    jonny bravo Guest

    I was kinda thinkin virus when he said it wouldn't boot past IDE...
    plus bootuing with 1 win98 disk as oppossed to 6 XP boot disks is a
    hell of a lot easier...

    jonny bravo, Nov 20, 2003