uh...oh..blue screen

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MB_, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive suddenly shut
    down with a blue-screened message indicating some hardware failure and a
    protective shutdown.

    I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.

    It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
    administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.

    In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys router
    (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to have
    recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has been
    greatly improved.

    The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened. The fan
    seems to be working.

    I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working fine.
    Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty?? Or might it
    have something to do with the router? Or is it just some anomaly that is
    unlikely to repeat itself? Or...

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Try running memtest86 for a while to see if there's a problem with the
    memory.

    Marc

    Marc Hulsebosch, Sep 6, 2005

  3. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    What is memtest 86?

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 6, 2005
  4. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    I guess it's clear by the name what it is.

    Is it appropriate to use on an XP Home system?

    MB_, Sep 6, 2005
  5. MB_

    FML Guest

    MB_ wrote:
    > In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive suddenly shut
    > down with a blue-screened message indicating some hardware failure and a
    > protective shutdown.
    >
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
    >
    > It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
    > administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.
    >
    > In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys router
    > (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to have
    > recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has been
    > greatly improved.
    >
    > The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened. The fan
    > seems to be working.
    >
    > I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working fine.
    > Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty?? Or might it
    > have something to do with the router? Or is it just some anomaly that is
    > unlikely to repeat itself? Or...
    >
    > Mel

    Many BSODs are caused by faulty RAM. I would highly doubt that the
    router had anything to do with it. If I were you, I'd leave it alone (it
    could be a one time thing) for now. If it happens again, I would remove
    the new RAM and reinstall it making sure it was properly seated in the
    slot. If that doesn't correct it, I'd remove the new RAM and run without
    it for a while. If the BSOD doesn't occur without the new RAM installed,
    then that would pretty much point to the new RAM being bad.

    FML, Sep 6, 2005
  6. MB_

    WormWood Guest

    "MB_" <> wrote in message
    > In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive suddenly
    > shut down with a blue-screened message indicating some hardware
    > failure and a protective shutdown.
    >
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
    >
    > It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
    > administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.
    >
    > In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys
    > router (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to
    > have recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has
    > been greatly improved.
    >
    > The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened. The
    > fan seems to be working.
    >
    > I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working
    > fine. Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty??
    > Or might it have something to do with the router? Or is it just some
    > anomaly that is unlikely to repeat itself? Or...
    >
    > Mel

    I believe you were instructed to reboot so that the OS (you didn't say
    what but I'd guess XP) could fix a hardware incompatibility and that
    you'll be ok now. If it happens again, see your administrator :))

    WormWood, Sep 6, 2005
  7. MB_

    WormWood Guest

    "WormWood" wrote:

    > "MB_" wrote:
    >> In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive
    >> suddenly shut down with a blue-screened message indicating some
    >> hardware failure and a protective shutdown.
    >>
    >> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
    >>
    >> It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
    >> administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.
    >>
    >> In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys
    >> router (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to
    >> have recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has
    >> been greatly improved.
    >>
    >> The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened.
    >> The fan seems to be working.
    >>
    >> I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working
    >> fine. Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty??
    >> Or might it have something to do with the router? Or is it just some
    >> anomaly that is unlikely to repeat itself? Or...
    >>
    >> Mel

    > I believe you were instructed to reboot so that the OS you didn't say

    what but I'd guess XP)

    Sorry, you *did say XP Home....arrgh....
    <snip>

    WormWood, Sep 6, 2005
  8. MB_ wrote:

    > What is memtest 86?

    http://www.memtest86.com/
    Now what is google?

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 7, 2005
  9. You should use the iso to make a bootable CD, and run it for one night.

    Marc

    Marc Hulsebosch, Sep 7, 2005