    unnecessarily complicated to begin with.

    Indexing is OFF. Just a plain, normal, real-time search.

    Thanks.

    Mike J.S., Sep 13, 2007

  2. Mike J.S.

    Bill Guest

    Open Windows Explorer. Right click on the folder or subfolder you want to
    search. The search box will open with the correct folder selected to search
    in. Easy.

    BullDawg

    Bill, Sep 13, 2007

  3. Mike J.S.

    Stefan Pendl Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:34:13 +0900, "Bill"
    <eschol@remove_this.shinbiro.com> wrote:

    >Open Windows Explorer. Right click on the folder or subfolder you want to
    >search. The search box will open with the correct folder selected to search
    >in. Easy.

    If the search is already open, select Browse... under Search in: ;-)

    ---
    Stefan Pendl

    Stefan Pendl, Sep 13, 2007
  4. Mike J.S.

    Theo Guest

    It's beyond my comprehension as to why anyone thinks it's
    complicated to search a desired folder.

    1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Find the Folder you want in the Tree in the Left panel
    3. Click on the desired Folder once to highlight it
    4. Click on the <Search> button in the Toolbar
    5. Choose the search option you desire in the Left panel

    and proceed from there. Hopefully you are able to navigate
    further.

    I would also guess that you are in the wrong Forum. This
    group is for 64-bit Windows, not the standard XP Home/Pro.

    Theo, Sep 13, 2007
  5. Mike J.S.

    HeyBub Guest

    Mike J.S. wrote:
    > How the hell do you search a specific folder (and all subfolders) in
    > WinXP? It's driving me nuts how dumbed-down this OS is, and how you
    > can ONLY search "All Files and Folders" or "Documents" or "Pictures",
    > etc.
    > I want to search for specific files in a specific folder. I've asked 3
    > people already and no one knows how. Nor can they understand why it's
    > so unnecessarily complicated to begin with.

    Agent Ransack?

    HeyBub, Sep 13, 2007
  6. Mike J.S.

    Unknown Guest

    Why beyond your comprehension. Do you think newbies know as much as you?

    Unknown, Sep 13, 2007
  7. Mike J.S. wrote:
    > How the hell do you search a specific folder (and all subfolders) in WinXP?
    > It's driving me nuts how dumbed-down this OS is, and how you can ONLY search
    > "All Files and Folders" or "Documents" or "Pictures", etc.
    >
    > I want to search for specific files in a specific folder. I've asked 3
    > people already and no one knows how. Nor can they understand why it's so
    > unnecessarily complicated to begin with.

    It's not complicated, and it's done in the same way it was done in
    earlier versions of Windows. In Windows Explorer, simply right-click on
    the target folder and select "Search." (Older versions of Windows used
    "Find," but it's the same, otherwise.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 13, 2007
  8. Unknown wrote:
    > Why beyond your comprehension. Do you think newbies know as much as you?

    It's not at all likely we're dealing with a newbie. By calling WinXP
    "dumbed-down" the OP made it clear that he considered himself (a) auser
    with above average knowledgeable and expertise (wrongly, as it turned
    out), and (b) very familiar with other Windows versions.

    To make it more ironic, WinXP's Search feature really hasn't changed
    all that much from that of its predecessor, Win2K; nor does it differ
    horribly from that of Win98. There have been some minor cosmetic
    changes and what Microsoft would call "refinements," perhaps, but no
    substantive changes.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 13, 2007
  9. Mike J.S.

    Unknown Guest

    I try to make it a point to never assume what the level of experience or
    intelligence is, of any poster. Perhaps he/she is merely frustrated.

    Unknown, Sep 13, 2007
  10. Mike J.S.

    Bob I Guest

    Bruce Chambers wrote:

    > Unknown wrote:
    >
    >> Why beyond your comprehension. Do you think newbies know as much as you?
    >>

    > It's not at all likely we're dealing with a newbie. By calling
    > WinXP "dumbed-down" the OP made it clear that he considered himself (a)
    > auser with above average knowledgeable and expertise (wrongly, as it
    > turned out), and (b) very familiar with other Windows versions.
    >
    > To make it more ironic, WinXP's Search feature really hasn't changed
    > all that much from that of its predecessor, Win2K; nor does it differ
    > horribly from that of Win98. There have been some minor cosmetic
    > changes and what Microsoft would call "refinements," perhaps, but no
    > substantive changes.

    'bout the only "new" thing is the "extension" awareness issue. That can
    be a real pain till you know about it. ;-)

    Bob I, Sep 13, 2007
  11. >I try to make it a point to never assume what the level of experience or
    >intelligence is, of any poster. Perhaps he/she is merely frustrated.

    Whoah. Experience, maybe, but I would never go out on a limb and question
    somebody's intelligence.

    I guess it's a matter of expectation. How does a newcomer think it ought to
    work? And how does that compare with how it actually works? How far apart
    are the two?

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 14, 2007
  12. Mike J.S.

    Unknown Guest

    You misread or didn't understand my post.

    Unknown, Sep 14, 2007