Ugh, '95!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Aug 15, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello,

    Horror of horrors, a customer of mine has an old IBM Aptiva running Windows
    '95. Actually, it's running pretty well but the CD drive broke. I removed
    the broken drive, slipped in another, and I can't get it recognized by the
    OS for love or money. I checked the BIOS, where it is enabled, and
    recognized. I've tried it on IDE 1 and IDE2, as a master, as a slave, and
    as a cable select, nothing. I downloaded what might have been an
    appropriate driver from driverguide.com, pointed it at that, got "The
    selected location does not have information about the device".

    My customer doesn't have the disk (s). The model does not appear on the
    Aptiva site.

    The drive I'm trying is an LG CRD 8400B. Could it just be too new?

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    smackedass
    smackedass, Aug 15, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    I'm leaning towards it is too new. However, it could also be that
    particular brand and its drivers. I just looked through my stock pile
    of parts and realized I threw everything that was old away a few
    months ago. Take a look at eBay. You might also want to try a
    DVD-ROM drive. While you might not be able to play video on it
    without a decoder card, it might work well for data.

    In any case, I did a quick lookup and found this driver:
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=182

    It might be the same one you found for DOS, WIN 95 and 98.


    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:10:35 GMT, "smackedass"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Horror of horrors, a customer of mine has an old IBM Aptiva running Windows
    >'95. Actually, it's running pretty well but the CD drive broke. I removed
    >the broken drive, slipped in another, and I can't get it recognized by the
    >OS for love or money. I checked the BIOS, where it is enabled, and
    >recognized. I've tried it on IDE 1 and IDE2, as a master, as a slave, and
    >as a cable select, nothing. I downloaded what might have been an
    >appropriate driver from driverguide.com, pointed it at that, got "The
    >selected location does not have information about the device".
    >
    >My customer doesn't have the disk (s). The model does not appear on the
    >Aptiva site.
    >
    >The drive I'm trying is an LG CRD 8400B. Could it just be too new?
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >smackedass
    Mister, Aug 15, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    THE DRIVER WORKED!

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    First I had to pay for the driverguide.com Pro Membership, that I'd been
    meaning to do that, anyway, that was $49.95, and I'm making $65 off of the
    job, so that works. And, now I can get whatever I want for a year from
    driverguide.com

    Thank you, again!

    smackedass
    smackedass, Aug 16, 2007
    #3
  4. smackedass

    Andy Barkl Guest

    He said is was a Aptiva running Windows 95. I think you meant a PS2 and not
    a OSR2.

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    news:46c398d3$0$11038$...
    > There were some older drives that had 40 pin interface cables which were
    > NOT IDE, but rather a proprietary interface. If this is OSR2 with USB
    > support, you could try an external USB drive. You could also try a PCI
    > IDE port. The problem might be the port and not the drive.
    >
    > smackedass wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Horror of horrors, a customer of mine has an old IBM Aptiva running
    >> Windows '95. Actually, it's running pretty well but the CD drive broke.
    >> I removed the broken drive, slipped in another, and I can't get it
    >> recognized by the OS for love or money. I checked the BIOS, where it is
    >> enabled, and recognized. I've tried it on IDE 1 and IDE2, as a master,
    >> as a slave, and as a cable select, nothing. I downloaded what might have
    >> been an appropriate driver from driverguide.com, pointed it at that, got
    >> "The selected location does not have information about the device".
    >>
    >> My customer doesn't have the disk (s). The model does not appear on the
    >> Aptiva site.
    >>
    >> The drive I'm trying is an LG CRD 8400B. Could it just be too new?
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> smackedass
    Andy Barkl, Aug 16, 2007
    #4
  5. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    If that was pointed towards me, you are welcome.

    By the way, I have an old username and password that gets me in all
    the time with no problems. I should have downloaded it an emailed it
    to you. Would have saved you some cash.

    Time for bed. I think I will count sheep in binary.
    Or maybe I will have another Jack and Coke.
    Hmmm... The latter wins.


    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:06:27 GMT, "smackedass"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >THE DRIVER WORKED!
    >
    >Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    >
    >First I had to pay for the driverguide.com Pro Membership, that I'd been
    >meaning to do that, anyway, that was $49.95, and I'm making $65 off of the
    >job, so that works. And, now I can get whatever I want for a year from
    >driverguide.com
    >
    >Thank you, again!
    >
    >smackedass
    Mister, Aug 16, 2007
    #5
  6. smackedass

    Andy Barkl Guest

    Ah yes, my mistake. Windows 95 version C. The one floppy disk update that
    provided poor USB support at best.

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    news:46c3cdfa$0$3791$...
    > No, I meant Windows 95 OSR2 .... the only version of Windows 95 that had
    > USB port support.
    >
    >
    > Andy Barkl wrote:
    >> He said is was a Aptiva running Windows 95. I think you meant a PS2 and
    >> not a OSR2.
    >>
    >> "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >> news:46c398d3$0$11038$...
    >>> There were some older drives that had 40 pin interface cables which were
    >>> NOT IDE, but rather a proprietary interface. If this is OSR2 with USB
    >>> support, you could try an external USB drive. You could also try a PCI
    >>> IDE port. The problem might be the port and not the drive.
    >>>
    >>> smackedass wrote:
    >>>> Hello,
    >>>>
    >>>> Horror of horrors, a customer of mine has an old IBM Aptiva running
    >>>> Windows '95. Actually, it's running pretty well but the CD drive
    >>>> broke. I removed the broken drive, slipped in another, and I can't get
    >>>> it recognized by the OS for love or money. I checked the BIOS, where
    >>>> it is enabled, and recognized. I've tried it on IDE 1 and IDE2, as a
    >>>> master, as a slave, and as a cable select, nothing. I downloaded what
    >>>> might have been an appropriate driver from driverguide.com, pointed it
    >>>> at that, got "The selected location does not have information about the
    >>>> device".
    >>>>
    >>>> My customer doesn't have the disk (s). The model does not appear on
    >>>> the Aptiva site.
    >>>>
    >>>> The drive I'm trying is an LG CRD 8400B. Could it just be too new?
    >>>>
    >>>> Any suggestions?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks,
    >>>>
    >>>> smackedass

    >>
    Andy Barkl, Aug 16, 2007
    #6
  7. smackedass

    Dan Stephen Guest

    Some ideas -

    Result of a google for the LG CRD-8400B.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/6516r/En/index.htm

    and the troubleshooting page from the above
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/6516r/En/trouble.htm

    You mentioned that it was an old Aptiva. Is it possible that the IDE
    cables are 40-conductor and not the required 80-conductor for newer IDE
    hardware?

    An article about the 80-conductor IDE cable:
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Cable80.htm

    Another short article on the same subject and giving three reasons to
    use the 80-conductor cable:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/15,28.html

    Perhaps some of this may help.

    Cheers,

    Dan
    Dan Stephen, Aug 16, 2007
    #7
  8. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Dan,

    Problem solved, correct driver did it.

    Thanks for responding.

    sa
    smackedass, Aug 16, 2007
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Nate H.

    Re: UGH! Example of a TERRIBLE website

    Nate H., Jul 9, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    567
    Brian H¹©
    Jul 9, 2003
  2. Shawn

    Default Browser...Ugh!!

    Shawn, Aug 29, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    640
    d2003xx
    Sep 4, 2003
  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBBIEdvb2RmZWxsb3c=?=

    *ugh* I'm stumped.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBBIEdvb2RmZWxsb3c=?=, Apr 28, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    443
    Diamontina Cocktail
    Apr 28, 2006
  4. James Evans

    Star Trek TOS DVD Set: ugh

    James Evans, Sep 1, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    37
    Views:
    1,408
    Troy Heagy
    Oct 3, 2004
  5. Steve

    Copyright - ugh ugh ugh

    Steve, Oct 16, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    877
    AustinMN
    Oct 18, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page