    I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows PC .
    does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
    please TIA

    PWB, Feb 8, 2008

  2. PWB

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:31:24 +0000, PWB wrote:

    > I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows PC
    > . does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
    > please TIA

    Go to www.ubuntu.com and download an ISO of the most recent version of
    Ubuntu (or Kubuntu or Edubuntu). The present one is version 7.10 "Gutsy
    Gibbon".

    Burn the ISO to a CD then go to www.google.co.uk and search for 'dual
    boot windows ubuntu'. Follow the instructions. Just about any software
    you'll ever need will then be available from Ubuntu's software
    repositories.

    HTH.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Feb 8, 2008

  3. PWB

    Gordon Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows PC .
    > does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
    > please TIA

    Ubuntu will install automatically almost everything that the average
    user needs. office suite, two or more email clients, two or more
    browsers, burning software, media players, you name it, it's probably
    there already.

    Gordon, Feb 8, 2008
  4. PWB

    Guest

    On 8 Feb, 08:12, Gordon <> wrote:
    > PWB wrote:
    > > I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows PC .
    > > does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
    > > please TIA

    Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
    Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
    You Tube, using a TV card etc.

    I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
    of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
    deal).

    If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
    Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
    delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

    Also, in the Linux forums, the reply to a simple noob query is
    normally half a page of baffling Unix-type code designed to make you
    feel stupid for asking in the first place.

    The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
    stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

    , Feb 8, 2008
  5. PWB

    philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On 8 Feb, 08:12, Gordon <> wrote:
    > > PWB wrote:
    > > > I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows

    PC .
    > > > does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
    > > > please TIA

    > Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
    > Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
    > You Tube, using a TV card etc.
    >
    > I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
    > of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
    > deal).
    >
    > If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
    > Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
    > delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.
    >
    > Also, in the Linux forums, the reply to a simple noob query is
    > normally half a page of baffling Unix-type code designed to make you
    > feel stupid for asking in the first place.
    >
    > The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
    > stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

    I still don't know why everyone seems to be going with Ubuntu.
    I prefer PClinuxOS. At least it can handle web-page video without
    having to hunt down add-ons

    philo, Feb 8, 2008
  6. PWB

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 07:03:41 -0600, philo wrote:

    Sorry, philo. Piggy-backing on your post because I didn't see
    english_dude's GG post (ain't filters grand :))

    > PC .
    >> >

    >> Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g. Photoshop,
    >> video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching You Tube,
    >> using a TV card etc.

    I use both Mandriva and Ubuntu and have never had any problems with image
    editing (The Gimp), viewing any video format (Mplayer et al.) or viewing
    video on Youtube. Dunno about video editing or using a TV card but I'll
    just make the assumption that these are both possible to achieve.

    >> I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
    >> of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
    >> deal).

    To make Flash work it's as simple as visiting the Flash download page at
    Macromedia, downloading the software and installing it. No different from
    how you do it in Windows, in fact.

    >> If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
    >> Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
    >> delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

    Or if you do decide (for some as yet unspecified reason) to delete Ubuntu
    or whatever distro you decide on, it's as simple as editing a line or two
    from your Grub 'menu.lst' file and then formatting any partitions it was
    using from within Windows.

    >> Also, in the Linux forums, the reply to a simple noob query is normally
    >> half a page of baffling Unix-type code designed to make you feel stupid
    >> for asking in the first place.

    Bollocks! I've never found anyone in Linux fora or newsgroups to be
    anything other than helpful. So long as it's clear that you've tried
    doing your own research first. A bit like they are here in 24hshd.

    >> The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
    >> stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

    Can't comment. Don't use it. Although Shorewall does the biz for me in an
    acceptable fashion.

    > I still don't know why everyone seems to be going with Ubuntu. I prefer
    > PClinuxOS. At least it can handle web-page video without having to hunt
    > down add-ons

    Been thinking of trying PCLO. I'll be getting a couple of PC's at the end
    of the month, so I might install it on one of those. I was going to keep
    one as XP (I need one Windows system) and the other Ubuntu, but I'll do
    PCLO instead.

    Aardvark, Feb 8, 2008
  7. PWB

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:54:19 -0800, english_dude wrote:

    > Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
    > Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
    > You Tube, using a TV card etc.

    Hogwash. Linux does all those things perfectly.

    > I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
    > of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
    > deal).

    Pure baloney. Installing Flash is trivial. Did you follow the
    instructions?

    > If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
    > Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
    > delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

    More likely he'll want to learn how to reformat the windoze partition to
    ext3, so he can use it for storage from his Linux install, when he decides
    to delete windoze.

    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/stfun00bsmallsz7.jpg

    > The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
    > stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

    Smoothwall Express 3 has been out for quite some time now. Sounds like
    you're pretty much behind the times, all around.

    Get a clue. Here's a free one:

    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/cluepon.jpg

    Dan C, Feb 8, 2008
  8. PWB

    Grodon Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:54:19 -0800, english_dude wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
    >> Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
    >> You Tube, using a TV card etc.

    > Hogwash. Linux does all those things perfectly.

    Nothing is prefect, particularly you.

    >> I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
    >> of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
    >> deal).

    > Pure baloney. Installing Flash is trivial. Did you follow the
    > instructions?

    Your are trivial.

    >> If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
    >> Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
    >> delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

    > More likely he'll want to learn how to reformat the windoze partition to
    > ext3, so he can use it for storage from his Linux install, when he decides
    > to delete windoze.

    You got your finger on the pulse of the person? You can read the
    person's mind?

    >> Also, in the Linux forums, the reply to a simple noob query is
    >> normally half a page of baffling Unix-type code designed to make you
    >> feel stupid for asking in the first place.

    > http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/stfun00bsmallsz7.jpg

    Props?

    >> The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
    >> stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

    > Smoothwall Express 3 has been out for quite some time now. Sounds like
    > you're pretty much behind the times, all around.
    >
    > Get a clue. Here's a free one:
    >
    > http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/cluepon.jpg

    Nothing but props in your life?

    Dan is the ****. You have nice trick of pulling Linux out of your ass on
    people, and that's tricky, easy. You need an enema

    Grodon, Feb 8, 2008
  9. PWB

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 09:50:35 -0500, Grodon wrote:

    >>> Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
    >>> Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
    >>> You Tube, using a TV card etc.

    >> Hogwash. Linux does all those things perfectly.

    > Nothing is prefect, particularly you.

    Hogwash.

    >>> I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
    >>> of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
    >>> deal).

    >> Pure baloney. Installing Flash is trivial. Did you follow the
    >> instructions?

    > Your are trivial.

    You're retarded.

    >>> If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
    >>> Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
    >>> delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

    >> More likely he'll want to learn how to reformat the windoze partition to
    >> ext3, so he can use it for storage from his Linux install, when he decides
    >> to delete windoze.

    > You got your finger on the pulse of the person? You can read the
    > person's mind?

    Yes. I can read your "mind" too, and it's just empty pages.

    **** off and die, punk.

    Dan C, Feb 8, 2008
  10. PWB

    Grodon Guest

    Dan C wrote:

    >>> Hogwash. Linux does all those things perfectly.

    >> Nothing is prefect, particularly you.

    > Hogwash.

    How?

    >>> Pure baloney. Installing Flash is trivial. Did you follow the
    >>> instructions?

    >> Your are trivial.

    > You're retarded.

    How?

    >>> More likely he'll want to learn how to reformat the windoze partition to
    >>> ext3, so he can use it for storage from his Linux install, when he decides
    >>> to delete windoze.

    >> You got your finger on the pulse of the person? You can read the
    >> person's mind?

    > Yes. I can read your "mind" too, and it's just empty pages.

    How?

    > **** off and die, punk.

    How?

    Grodon, Feb 8, 2008
  11. PWB

    Gordon Guest

    Dan C wrote:

    > **** off and die, punk.

    Typical Wintroll intellectual response....

    Gordon, Feb 8, 2008
  12. PWB

    Grodon Guest

    Re: ubuntu i

    Gordon wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >

    >> **** off and die, punk.
    >>

    > Typical Wintroll intellectual response....

    There are two Karnack the Magnificent in the NG. I guess your wife is a
    Wintroll too, since she trolled you up, and she uses Windows. <smile>

    Grodon, Feb 8, 2008
  13. PWB

    Grodon Guest

    Re: Where are you Dan Clown?

    Dan C wrote:

    <snipped>

    You come out here you little Windowstroller, come out!

    Grodon, Feb 8, 2008
  14. PWB

    philo Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 07:03:41 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    > Sorry, philo. Piggy-backing on your post because I didn't see
    > english_dude's GG post (ain't filters grand :))
    >
    > > <> wrote in message

    > > PC .
    > >> >

    > >> Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g. Photoshop,
    > >> video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching You Tube,
    > >> using a TV card etc.
    > >>

    > I use both Mandriva and Ubuntu and have never had any problems with image
    > editing (The Gimp), viewing any video format (Mplayer et al.) or viewing
    > video on Youtube. Dunno about video editing or using a TV card but I'll
    > just make the assumption that these are both possible to achieve.
    >
    > >> I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
    > >> of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
    > >> deal).
    > >>

    > To make Flash work it's as simple as visiting the Flash download page at
    > Macromedia, downloading the software and installing it. No different from
    > how you do it in Windows, in fact.
    >
    > >> If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
    > >> Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
    > >> delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.
    > >>

    > Or if you do decide (for some as yet unspecified reason) to delete Ubuntu
    > or whatever distro you decide on, it's as simple as editing a line or two
    > from your Grub 'menu.lst' file and then formatting any partitions it was
    > using from within Windows.
    >
    > >> Also, in the Linux forums, the reply to a simple noob query is normally
    > >> half a page of baffling Unix-type code designed to make you feel stupid
    > >> for asking in the first place.
    > >>

    > Bollocks! I've never found anyone in Linux fora or newsgroups to be
    > anything other than helpful. So long as it's clear that you've tried
    > doing your own research first. A bit like they are here in 24hshd.
    >
    > >> The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
    > >> stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.
    > >>

    > Can't comment. Don't use it. Although Shorewall does the biz for me in an
    > acceptable fashion.
    >

    > > I still don't know why everyone seems to be going with Ubuntu. I prefer
    > > PClinuxOS. At least it can handle web-page video without having to hunt
    > > down add-ons

    > Been thinking of trying PCLO. I'll be getting a couple of PC's at the end
    > of the month, so I might install it on one of those. I was going to keep
    > one as XP (I need one Windows system) and the other Ubuntu, but I'll do
    > PCLO instead.

    Piggy back is fine.

    Though I do like PCLinuxOS a lot...
    I did install Ubuntu on a few MAC;s and it worked just fine.

    Gimp is great...I use it from time to time

    here's one i did with Gimp

    http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/electric.jpg

    I think I spent less than 5 minutes doing the electronic solarizarion and
    getting it how I liked it

    philo, Feb 8, 2008
  15. PWB

    chuckcar Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote in

    > I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows
    > PC . does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install
    > them please TIA

    Linux (which ubuntu is a distribution of) doesn't install on NTFS, you
    have to defragment your hard drive and repartition it or put a new
    partition on a different drive that has space. Before you do *anything*
    read all the text files that come with it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 8, 2008
  16. PWB

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Feb 9, 2008
  17. PWB

    philo Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:46:06 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    > > here's one i did with Gimp
    > >
    > > http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/electric.jpg

    > I'm impressed. I must get into image manipulation more deeply one of
    > these days :)

    Welll.
    that photo only had minimal manipulation...

    The first time I used Gimp I didn't know what I was doing at all...
    but once I poked around a bit...I really started to like it a lot.

    For the most part..I only use photo-editing software to crop
    or to enhance photos that may not have been exposed quite properly

    philo, Feb 9, 2008
  18. PWB

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 06:05:29 -0600, philo wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:46:06 -0600, philo wrote:
    >>
    >> > here's one i did with Gimp
    >> >
    >> > http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/electric.jpg

    >> I'm impressed. I must get into image manipulation more deeply one of
    >> these days :)
    >>

    > Welll.
    > that photo only had minimal manipulation...
    >
    > The first time I used Gimp I didn't know what I was doing at all... but
    > once I poked around a bit...I really started to like it a lot.
    >
    > For the most part..I only use photo-editing software to crop or to
    > enhance photos that may not have been exposed quite properly

    I've used the Gimp a few times for the same reasons since I went over
    exclusively to Linux. Previously in Windows I worked on images with Paint
    Shop Pro and the Gimp appears to have many of the same functions.

    It'll just be a matter of devoting an afternoon sometime to playing with
    the Gimp in order for me to know what it's capable of.

    Aardvark, Feb 9, 2008
  19. PWB

    philo Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 06:05:29 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    > > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    > >> I'm impressed. I must get into image manipulation more deeply one of
    > >> these days :)
    > >>

    > > Welll.
    > > that photo only had minimal manipulation...
    > >
    > > The first time I used Gimp I didn't know what I was doing at all... but
    > > once I poked around a bit...I really started to like it a lot.
    > >
    > > For the most part..I only use photo-editing software to crop or to
    > > enhance photos that may not have been exposed quite properly

    > I've used the Gimp a few times for the same reasons since I went over
    > exclusively to Linux. Previously in Windows I worked on images with Paint
    > Shop Pro and the Gimp appears to have many of the same functions.
    >
    > It'll just be a matter of devoting an afternoon sometime to playing with
    > the Gimp in order for me to know what it's capable of.

    For anyone else possibly following this thread...
    Gimp also has versions for Windows and MAC

    http://www.gimp.org/

    Though it may not have *all* the features of Photoshop...
    chances are it has way more features than you'll ever need

    philo, Feb 9, 2008
  20. PWB

    Guest

    you shouldn't have to use a command like

    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1
    sudo mkdir -p /tmp/.esd/
    sudo touch /tmp/.esd/socket

    just to watch YouTube in Ubuntu

    - makes Vista look cheap at the price