Ubuntu - upgrade to Intrepid (rather a long post - sorry)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Nov 1, 2008.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Another six months, another upgrade. Wasn't expecting too many problems
    upgrading from Hardy to Intrepid as the last three upgrades (Edgy ->
    Feisty -> Gutsy -> Hardy) had been pretty straight-forward.

    So I didn't bother reading the release notes.....

    Six hours of blank screens, dead keyboard, hanging screens, locked mouse,
    frozen screens, endless writing to disk.......so I decided to read the
    release notes.

    Second to last on the "upgrading problems" list it mentions an issue with
    the Intel 845G video driver. What a surprise. My on-board video chip is
    based on the 845G. Obviously it's screwing around with the X-Server. Six
    hours of my life I won't get back.

    So I dig out an old nVidia TNT2 M64 video card. Have a quick look at the
    release notes just to be sure but unfortunately number one on the
    "upgrading problems" list is the nVidia legacy video driver screwing up
    the X-Server, specifically mentioning the TNT2. As a work around the
    upgrade installs a crippled "free video" driver instead of the nVidia
    supplied driver....hopefully. Fit video card in PCI slot, cross fingers,
    reboot.

    Finally Intrepid bursts into life....although I did have to edit grub to
    get the latest kernel to boot. For some reason the upgrade installed
    2.6-27-3 but still wanted to use 2.6-24-18 Very strange. I must have
    chosen the wrong menu.lst option during installation.

    Next annoyance...once my desktop kicked in I found it had upgraded itself
    from KDE 3.5.9 to KDE 4.1.2 Definitely not what I wanted as I've been in
    the anti-KDE4 camp since KDE4 came out. My customised launchers,
    wallpapers and taskbars have disappeared. Dolphin has taken over from
    Konqueror as the file manager and I hate Dolphin. There are "plasmoid"
    thingys everywhere. The menu entries are no longer in alphabetical order.
    Such an untidy all-over-look which I can't stand. And, as KDE4 has very
    little in common with KDE3, I pretty much have to learn how to use a new
    desktop manager. A waste of time for me as KDE3 was perfect.

    The obvious solution (I hear you say) is to downgrade KDE4 to KDE3.
    Unfortunately the upgrade to Intrepid has also upgraded many of the K-
    based programmes (KTorrent, KMail, KSysGuard etc) so a KDE downgrade will
    make the K-based programmes revert to earlier versions, which just
    doesn't make sense. I fear KDE4 has me firmly by the short and curlies.

    I'm considering adding 512MB RAM which will give me 1GB total. Not
    necessarily for a performance boost, as programmes load and execute quick
    enough for me, but as I'm stuck with KDE4 I may as well try out some of
    its visual effects. Especially the much vaunted compiz.

    All in all a very untidy upgrade experience. Managed to get to the end of
    it because I don't mind working things out and, more importantly, I've
    got a few years of Linux use behind me.

    However I must admit the end result has a very classy look and feel to it
    which, oddly enough, is down to KDE4. Am looking forward to the next week
    or so playing around with Intrepid and finding out what other surprises
    are lying in wait.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Nov 1, 2008

  2. In message <geg7kl$b6r$>, Lodi wrote:

    > So I didn't bother reading the release notes.....
    >
    > Six hours of blank screens, dead keyboard, hanging screens, locked mouse,
    > frozen screens, endless writing to disk.......so I decided to read the
    > release notes.

    This is why I never do an in-place upgrade, I always install the new version
    from scratch.

    When I first set up a drive, I always reserve a spare partition, equal in
    size to the OS partition, for a later separate OS install. That way I can
    keep the previous OS installation intact, just in case.

    > However I must admit the end result has a very classy look and feel to it
    > which, oddly enough, is down to KDE4.

    Yeah, I played with it a little on my Eee. On my main Gentoo workstation,
    it's a little trickier, as KDE4 isn't in the standard repository (yet), you
    have to add it via an overlay.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2008

  3. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > I am waiting for KDE 4.2.x to be released before I seriously consider
    > moving from KDE 3.5.x .

    Anything you particularly expect to be introduced in that version?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2008
  4. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 18:43:41 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Carnations wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am waiting for KDE 4.2.x to be released before I seriously consider
    >>> moving from KDE 3.5.x .

    >> Anything you particularly expect to be introduced in that version?

    > http://www.kde.org

    Can't find any page listing planned features for 4.2.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2008