    Can anyone help me?

    thanks
    Richard

    Snake, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Snake

    none Guest

    Snake wrote:
    > I've just leaped in to using Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, having had no
    > previous experience in Linux. I've been trying things out and somehow
    > have lost Gnome loading automatically when I boot.
    >
    > I arrive at a text based login screen and after I type in my username
    > and password I can get to Gnome by typing startx.
    >
    > But I would prefer to get back to having the graphical login screen
    > that I had previously.
    >
    > Can anyone help me?
    >
    > thanks
    > Richard

    Try
    dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    none, Jan 11, 2007

  3. Snake

    Rebel Lion Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:11:52 +1300, none wrote:

    > Snake wrote:
    >> I've just leaped in to using Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, having had no
    >> previous experience in Linux. I've been trying things out and somehow
    >> have lost Gnome loading automatically when I boot.
    >>
    >> I arrive at a text based login screen and after I type in my username
    >> and password I can get to Gnome by typing startx.
    >>
    >> But I would prefer to get back to having the graphical login screen
    >> that I had previously.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> Richard
    >>

    > Try
    > dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    You must be logged in as the first user and the password is that user's
    password.

    Rebel Lion, Jan 11, 2007
  4. Snake

    Bobs Guest

    Rebel Lion wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:11:52 +1300, none wrote:
    >
    > > Snake wrote:
    > >> I've just leaped in to using Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, having had no
    > >> previous experience in Linux. I've been trying things out and somehow
    > >> have lost Gnome loading automatically when I boot.
    > >>
    > >> I arrive at a text based login screen and after I type in my username
    > >> and password I can get to Gnome by typing startx.
    > >>
    > >> But I would prefer to get back to having the graphical login screen
    > >> that I had previously.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone help me?
    > >>
    > >> thanks
    > >> Richard
    > >>

    > > Try
    > > dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    > Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    This shit is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
    only use it. I mean, seriously.

    Bobs, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Snake

    Earl Grey Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > Rebel Lion wrote:

    >>> Try
    >>> dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    >> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    > This shit is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
    > only use it. I mean, seriously.

    Remember that next time anyone suggests Start Run cmd regedit look for
    key blah blah blah

    Earl Grey, Jan 11, 2007
  6. Snake

    Miguel Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > Remember that next time anyone suggests Start Run cmd regedit look for
    > key blah blah blah

    Grrrrr.....I wanted to be the one to say that.

    Snake (OP)....if you've got any questions learning Ubuntu (and if you
    stick with it, you will) don't ask them here in nz.comp. There's too
    many negative posters.

    The best place to ask them is the Ubuntu forums "absolute beginners
    forum", found at......

    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

    Really rapid response time from people who want to help you. And a huge
    searchable archive of previously asked questions.

    Welcome to Ubuntu and good luck with it.

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Jan 11, 2007
  7. Snake

    Rebel Lion Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:37:39 -0800, Miguel wrote:

    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >>

    >> Remember that next time anyone suggests Start Run cmd regedit look for
    >> key blah blah blah

    > Grrrrr.....I wanted to be the one to say that.
    >
    > Snake (OP)....if you've got any questions learning Ubuntu (and if you
    > stick with it, you will) don't ask them here in nz.comp. There's too
    > many negative posters.
    >
    > The best place to ask them is the Ubuntu forums "absolute beginners
    > forum", found at......
    >
    > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73
    >
    > Really rapid response time from people who want to help you. And a huge
    > searchable archive of previously asked questions.
    >
    > Welcome to Ubuntu and good luck with it.

    My sig is a lotr take off of THE os :)

    Rebel Lion, Jan 11, 2007
  8. Snake

    Snake Guest

    Rebel Lion wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:11:52 +1300, none wrote:
    >
    > > Snake wrote:
    > >> I've just leaped in to using Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, having had no
    > >> previous experience in Linux. I've been trying things out and somehow
    > >> have lost Gnome loading automatically when I boot.
    > >>
    > >> I arrive at a text based login screen and after I type in my username
    > >> and password I can get to Gnome by typing startx.
    > >>
    > >> But I would prefer to get back to having the graphical login screen
    > >> that I had previously.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone help me?
    > >>
    > >> thanks
    > >> Richard
    > >>

    > > Try
    > > dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    > Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    >
    > You must be logged in as the first user and the password is that user's
    > password.

    Thanks for the tip. Just tried it and got:

    /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: gdm is broken or not fully installed

    Snake, Jan 11, 2007
  9. Snake

    Rebel Lion Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:39:28 -0800, Snake wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip. Just tried it and got:
    >
    > /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: gdm is broken or not fully installed

    Cool, how did you manage to achieve that ?

    Ok try sudo apt-get install -f

    If that doesn't work, note you may need to do what I first suggested after
    that.

    Visit http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

    Rebel Lion, Jan 11, 2007
  10. Snake

    Biggles Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:51:53 -0800, Bobs wrote:

    >> > Try
    >> > dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    >> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    > This shit is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
    > only use it. I mean, seriously.

    A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly broken
    mess..

    Rock on Ubuntu ..

    Biggles ....

    Biggles, Jan 11, 2007
  11. Snake

    Earl Grey Guest

    Biggles wrote:

    > A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly broken
    > mess..

    No it doesn't, I did a dist-upgrade using apt from dapper to edgy, and
    the only issue I have had is with a previously set up bluetooth connection

    Earl Grey, Jan 11, 2007
  12. Snake

    Shane Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > Biggles wrote:
    >

    >> A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly
    >> broken mess..
    >>

    > No it doesn't, I did a dist-upgrade using apt from dapper to edgy, and
    > the only issue I have had is with a previously set up bluetooth connection

    Ive done both recently without issue

    Shane, Jan 11, 2007
  13. Snake

    Enkidu Guest

    Biggles wrote:

    >>> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    >> This shit is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will
    >> ever only use it. I mean, seriously.
    >>

    > A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly
    > broken mess..

    No, it doesn't.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 11, 2007
  14. Snake

    Rebel Lion Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:18:41 +1300, Biggles wrote:

    >>> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    >> This shit is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
    >> only use it. I mean, seriously.
    >>

    > A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly broken
    > mess..

    What a load of bollucks, I guess my upgraded to edgy from dapper
    computer doesn't work then and is a figment of my imagination as is this
    one with the fresh install of edgy.

    > Rock on Ubuntu ..

    Couldn't agree more.

    Rebel Lion, Jan 11, 2007
  15. Snake

    Rob S Guest

    Biggles wrote:

    >>> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    >> This shit is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
    >> only use it. I mean, seriously.
    >>

    > A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly broken

    Bollocks. This box is a fresh install and the box next to it is a
    dist-upgrade. No problems with either.
    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/blog

    DYSWIS Do You See What I See

    Rob S, Jan 11, 2007
  16. Snake

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    in says...

    > >> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    > > This shit is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
    > > only use it. I mean, seriously.
    > >

    > A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly broken
    > mess..

    I have the same problem on an Intel based system (Intel mobo n' all).

    Dunno why. Tried the upgrade per the docs, and tried a fresh install,
    doesn't even install.

    Clearly Cliff and other don't agree with you - but for you (and me) it
    didn't work at all. Yet Dapper is just fine.

    Anyone want an Edgy install CD? :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 11, 2007
  17. Snake

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:48:02 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > in says...

    >> > This shit is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
    >> > only use it. I mean, seriously.
    >> >

    >> A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly broken
    >> mess..

    > I have the same problem on an Intel based system (Intel mobo n' all).
    >
    > Dunno why. Tried the upgrade per the docs, and tried a fresh install,
    > doesn't even install.
    >
    > Clearly Cliff and other don't agree with you - but for you (and me) it
    > didn't work at all. Yet Dapper is just fine.
    >
    > Anyone want an Edgy install CD? :)

    Perhaps you could try the alternative install CD which doesn't do the live
    CD stuff, just runs the current Debian installer. I've used it for old
    lappy installs where the livecd doesn't like the graphics.

    Earl Grey, Jan 12, 2007
  18. Snake

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:48:02 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > in says...

    > >> A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly broken
    > >> mess..

    > > I have the same problem on an Intel based system (Intel mobo n' all).
    > >
    > > Dunno why. Tried the upgrade per the docs, and tried a fresh install,
    > > doesn't even install.
    > >
    > > Clearly Cliff and other don't agree with you - but for you (and me) it
    > > didn't work at all. Yet Dapper is just fine.
    > >
    > > Anyone want an Edgy install CD? :)

    > Perhaps you could try the alternative install CD which doesn't do the live
    > CD stuff, just runs the current Debian installer. I've used it for old
    > lappy installs where the livecd doesn't like the graphics.

    Yeah I'll give it a go - I've looked up and found this link:
    http://mirrors.uwa.edu.au/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/edgy/kubuntu-6.10-
    desktop-i386.iso

    It doesn't say whether that's the live CD or not ???

    (PS: want to dl the Kubuntu.)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 12, 2007
  19. Snake

    Dave Doe Guest

    > > > I have the same problem on an Intel based system (Intel mobo n' all).
    > > >
    > > > Dunno why. Tried the upgrade per the docs, and tried a fresh install,
    > > > doesn't even install.
    > > >
    > > > Clearly Cliff and other don't agree with you - but for you (and me) it
    > > > didn't work at all. Yet Dapper is just fine.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone want an Edgy install CD? :)

    > > Perhaps you could try the alternative install CD which doesn't do the live
    > > CD stuff, just runs the current Debian installer. I've used it for old
    > > lappy installs where the livecd doesn't like the graphics.

    > Yeah I'll give it a go - I've looked up and found this link:
    > http://mirrors.uwa.edu.au/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/edgy/kubuntu-6.10-
    > desktop-i386.iso
    >
    > It doesn't say whether that's the live CD or not ???
    >
    > (PS: want to dl the Kubuntu.)

    OK, I've found the right page methinks, here:
    http://mirrors.uwa.edu.au/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/edgy/

    Will dl the alternate install CD image.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 12, 2007
  20. Snake

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:05:06 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    >> > Perhaps you could try the alternative install CD which doesn't do the live
    >> > CD stuff, just runs the current Debian installer. I've used it for old
    >> > lappy installs where the livecd doesn't like the graphics.

    >> Yeah I'll give it a go - I've looked up and found this link:
    >> http://mirrors.uwa.edu.au/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/edgy/kubuntu-6.10-
    >> desktop-i386.iso
    >>
    >> It doesn't say whether that's the live CD or not ???
    >>
    >> (PS: want to dl the Kubuntu.)

    > OK, I've found the right page methinks, here:
    > http://mirrors.uwa.edu.au/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/edgy/
    >
    > Will dl the alternate install CD image.

    That's the one
    Systems customized with Automatix would be likely to have problems with
    dist-upgrade with such a heavily modified sources.list. Too many cooks :)

    Earl Grey, Jan 12, 2007