Ubuntu - Locate and updatedb commands question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Feb 10, 2009.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...Using Ubuntu 8.10

    Have also posted this question to ubuntuforums but no answers yet and it's
    been nearly forty five minutes. That's pretty slack support so I'm thinking
    of asking for my money back :)

    I have a two-partition external hard drive which mounts as /media/sdb1
    and /media/sdb2

    This from /etc/mtab......

    /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ext2 rw 0 0
    /dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2 ext2 rw 0 0

    At the moment the locate command only searches through the partitions
    on /dev/sda.

    How can I get the updatedb command and the locate command to
    include /dev/sdb in their search path.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Feb 10, 2009

  2. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:00:51 +1300, Lodi wrote:

    > I have a two-partition external hard drive which mounts as /media/sdb1
    > and /media/sdb2
    >
    > This from /etc/mtab......
    >
    > /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ext2 rw 0 0
    > /dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2 ext2 rw 0 0
    >

    > At the moment the locate command only searches through the partitions on
    > /dev/sda.
    >
    > How can I get the updatedb command and the locate command to include
    > /dev/sdb in their search path.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Answer from ubuntuforums for future reference.......

    Edit as root /etc/updatedb.conf
    Remove /media from PRUNEPATHS
    Exit and save
    sudo updatedb