Ubuntu Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by CyiPherX, Nov 2, 2005.

  1. CyiPherX

    CyiPherX Guest

    So, who else in the group is using Ubuntu??.

    A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
    with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
    idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html

    So after reading through the forums and learning what i could i downloaded
    the iso, and loaded up Ubuntu on to my notebook.

    Well it totally blew me away!, all my devices were configured out of the
    box!, the only device that failed to work was the sd card reader, no big
    deal their.
    When i had windows xp installed, i had to install around 7 drivers to get
    everything to work.

    Since i dont use any software that ties me to the windows platform, i was
    able to do everything in Ubuntu that i use to do under windows.

    I was really quite amazed to find a lot of features in Ubuntu that were
    not in windows.

    Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
    that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
    decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.

    CyiPherX
    CyiPherX, Nov 2, 2005

  2. CyiPherX

    PAM. Guest

    PAM., Nov 2, 2005

  3. CyiPherX

    shannon Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:48:51 +1300, PAM. wrote:

    > "CyiPherX" <> wrote in message
    >> A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
    >> with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
    >> http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
    >> idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html
    >>

    > Maybe you'd prefer Kubuntu?
    >
    > PAM.

    No problemo, from ubuntu you just open synaptic and select kubuntu-desktop
    and it installs kubuntu.
    shannon, Nov 2, 2005
  4. CyiPherX

    thing2 Guest

    CyiPherX wrote:
    > So, who else in the group is using Ubuntu??.
    >
    > A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
    > with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
    > http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
    > idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html
    >
    > So after reading through the forums and learning what i could i downloaded
    > the iso, and loaded up Ubuntu on to my notebook.
    >
    > Well it totally blew me away!, all my devices were configured out of the
    > box!, the only device that failed to work was the sd card reader, no big
    > deal their.
    > When i had windows xp installed, i had to install around 7 drivers to get
    > everything to work.
    >
    > Since i dont use any software that ties me to the windows platform, i was
    > able to do everything in Ubuntu that i use to do under windows.
    >
    > I was really quite amazed to find a lot of features in Ubuntu that were
    > not in windows.

    XP is getting a bit long in the tooth.

    > Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
    > that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
    > decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
    >
    > CyiPherX

    I moved to Linux desktop 18 months ago. There is little day-to-day I
    cannot do. Some things are Autocad, games, movie editing that I simply
    dual boot for....but this is < 1% or my time and hardly core uses.

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Nov 2, 2005
  5. CyiPherX

    Chris Hope Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    [snip]

    > The features I find essential (to what I do - software development) in
    > Linux/KDE that are missing in Windows are:
    >
    > - an advanced shell. grep, sed, ssh, scp, lynx, wget etc.

    There's always Cygwin.

    > - multiple desktops

    Yep, I can't live without these (well that might be a slight
    exaggeration). I once tried some tool in Windows to see if I could
    implement mutiple desktops like in X and it worked, but all the
    applications were still in the taskbar no matter which desktop I was
    on, and there didn't seem to be a way to alter the behaviour, so I
    didn't find it all that useful.

    > - KIOslaves (in particular fish)
    > - ssh (and in particular ssh tunelling - great for beating the
    > corporate firewall)

    There's Putty which is pretty useful. There's corporate network I need
    to VPN into but the software only works on my Windows box. So I create
    tunnels through Putty and can access the stuff I need to on my Linux
    box.

    > - SuperKaramba.

    Haven't had a chance to play with that but it looks pretty cool.

    > - A *lot* more configuration options. Want windows unders the mouse to
    > gain focus? No problem. Want to decide what double clicking on a
    > window title bar does? No problem.

    I wonder if they're implementing stuff like this in Vista?

    Chris Hope, Nov 2, 2005
  6. CyiPherX

    Allistar Guest

    CyiPherX wrote:

    > So, who else in the group is using Ubuntu??.
    >
    > A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
    > with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
    > http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
    > idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html
    >
    > So after reading through the forums and learning what i could i downloaded
    > the iso, and loaded up Ubuntu on to my notebook.
    >
    > Well it totally blew me away!, all my devices were configured out of the
    > box!, the only device that failed to work was the sd card reader, no big
    > deal their.
    > When i had windows xp installed, i had to install around 7 drivers to get
    > everything to work.
    >
    > Since i dont use any software that ties me to the windows platform, i was
    > able to do everything in Ubuntu that i use to do under windows.
    >
    > I was really quite amazed to find a lot of features in Ubuntu that were
    > not in windows.
    >
    > Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
    > that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
    > decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
    >
    > CyiPherX

    The features I find essential (to what I do - software development) in
    Linux/KDE that are missing in Windows are:

    - an advanced shell. grep, sed, ssh, scp, lynx, wget etc.
    - multiple desktops
    - KIOslaves (in particular fish)
    - ssh (and in particular ssh tunelling - great for beating the corporate
    firewall)
    - SuperKaramba.
    - A *lot* more configuration options. Want windows unders the mouse to gain
    focus? No problem. Want to decide what double clicking on a window title
    bar does? No problem.
    - choice. Want a different window manager? No problem. Don't want a gui at
    all? No problem. Want to compile your application to target your particlar
    hardware? No problem.

    I, for one, won't be going back.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 2, 2005
  7. CyiPherX wrote:

    > Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
    > that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
    > decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
    >
    > CyiPherX

    The grumpyoldhori has moved to Suse,only two things a pain,
    wireless and video player.
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Nov 2, 2005
  8. CyiPherX

    CyiPherX Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:17:30 +1300, thing2 wrote:

    SNIP

    > XP is getting a bit long in the tooth.
    >
    >> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
    >> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
    >> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
    >>
    >> CyiPherX

    > I moved to Linux desktop 18 months ago. There is little day-to-day I
    > cannot do. Some things are Autocad, games, movie editing that I simply
    > dual boot for....but this is < 1% or my time and hardly core uses.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I like the use of .png icons on the desktop and being able to resize the
    icons on the fly.
    Most of all i like the Synaptic Package manager that installs software for
    you in pretty much one click really, and then lets you know automatically
    when their is an update ready to install.

    Oh an the fact that i dont have to worry about the virus/sypware/trojan
    issue anymore etc etc...

    CyiPherX
    CyiPherX, Nov 2, 2005
  9. CyiPherX

    CyiPherX Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:15:51 +1200, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > CyiPherX wrote:
    >

    >> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
    >> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
    >> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
    >>
    >> CyiPherX

    > The grumpyoldhori has moved to Suse,only two things a pain,
    > wireless and video player.
    > grumpy

    Wireless worked for me straight out of the box, no drivers, no setup, just
    gave it my wep key and i was connected!.

    Video and audio are working fine since i installed the various codecs ,
    perhaps thats what you need?

    CyiPherX
    CyiPherX, Nov 2, 2005
  10. CyiPherX

    MarkH Guest

    grumpyoldhori <> wrote in news:3Nbaf.404$xD6.23178
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > CyiPherX wrote:
    >

    >> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
    >> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
    >> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
    >>
    >> CyiPherX

    > The grumpyoldhori has moved to Suse,only two things a pain,
    > wireless and video player.
    > grumpy

    I use SUSE on several PCs and have no problem playing videos. In fact in
    often play videos on one screen while doing stuff on another PC on the
    other screen.

    The procedure for playing videos on SUSE is as follows:

    Install SUSE
    Go to YaST and add the packman site (or a mirror) to your installation
    source.
    Go to software management (it will have a different name if using older
    than SUSE 10) and install MPlayer (YaST will also add other stuff like
    required CoDecs).
    Play videos (I prefer to use MPlayer for this)

    For adding the packman site check here:
    http://www.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories#External_YaST_
    Repositories

    (sorry about the wrap)

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Nov 2, 2005
  11. "CyiPherX" <> wrote in message
    > So, who else in the group is using Ubuntu??.
    >
    > A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
    > with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
    > http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
    > idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html
    >
    > So after reading through the forums and learning what i could i downloaded
    > the iso, and loaded up Ubuntu on to my notebook.
    >
    > Well it totally blew me away!, all my devices were configured out of the
    > box!, the only device that failed to work was the sd card reader, no big
    > deal their.
    > When i had windows xp installed, i had to install around 7 drivers to get
    > everything to work.
    >
    > Since i dont use any software that ties me to the windows platform, i was
    > able to do everything in Ubuntu that i use to do under windows.
    >
    > I was really quite amazed to find a lot of features in Ubuntu that were
    > not in windows.

    I always used Windows. I only installed Linux once before on a 486 - years
    ago, and that was a bad experience. I decided to sell my desktop on trademe
    (auction still on ;-) ) but didn't want to sell it with my copy of Windows
    XP Pro (full, not OEM). So I installed Ubuntu Linux.

    Really nice! Configured everything (USB, firewire, network card, g-force3)
    and had no problem in downloading all updates available as soon as I logged
    in. The whole installation was completed in a few minutes (probably less
    than 15 minutes).

    Quite interesting. What was really amusing is that on my auction I have
    "Running Ubuntu Linux, OpenOffice, Firefox, Evolution, Gaim - or you can
    install your own OS". The first question in my auction was "So, does it come
    with an OS?"

    Arghhh.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Nov 3, 2005
  12. MarkH wrote:

    > The procedure for playing videos on SUSE is as follows:
    >
    > Install SUSE
    > Go to YaST and add the packman site (or a mirror) to your installation
    > source.
    > Go to software management (it will have a different name if using older
    > than SUSE 10) and install MPlayer (YaST will also add other stuff like
    > required CoDecs).
    > Play videos (I prefer to use MPlayer for this)
    >

    > For adding the packman site check here:

    http://www.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories#External_YaST_
    > Repositories

    Thanks Mark,I am using 9.1 pro,worth changing to Suse 10?.
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Nov 3, 2005
  13. CyiPherX wrote:

    > Wireless worked for me straight out of the box, no drivers, no setup, just
    > gave it my wep key and i was connected!.
    >
    > Video and audio are working fine since i installed the various codecs ,
    > perhaps thats what you need?
    >
    > CyiPherX

    I am using Suse 9.1,are you on Suse 10,
    and I am new to linux.
    thanks Grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Nov 3, 2005
  14. CyiPherX

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:37:09 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > - multiple desktops

    A must have, they are to windows GUI what tabs are to web browsers. You
    can have a desktop totally cluttered with windows and then with one click
    shift the whole lot out of the way when you want to start on something
    else.

    MS windows is slowly but surely getting more frustrating as it lacks this
    feature.
    Gordon, Nov 3, 2005
  15. CyiPherX

    steve Guest

    CyiPherX wrote:

    > Since i dont use any software that ties me to the windows platform, i was
    > able to do everything in Ubuntu that i use to do under windows.
    >
    > I was really quite amazed to find a lot of features in Ubuntu that were
    > not in windows.
    >
    > Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
    > that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
    > decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
    >
    > CyiPherX

    Ubuntu is based on Debian....as are a growing number of distros.

    I use Xandros and it goes a few steps beyond Ubuntu in terms of ease to
    install (including re-partitioning / shrinking the Windows partition) and
    ease of use after installing.

    The File Manager in Xandros is the lineal descendent of the Corel Linux File
    Manager - and included support for many removable media (digital cameras,
    card readers), CD-RW and DVD-R devices....as well as wireless network
    devices - either out of the box or following upgrade to the 2.6.11 kernel
    (online upgrade - free)

    Additionally, Xandros' base set of software is supported and guaranteed to
    work well together.

    The whole packages is easy, solid and full of functionality.

    You can either get the Standard edition - Linux software only - or the
    Deluxe edition which includes Crossover Office, which is a commercial
    version of WINE, allowing you to run a long list of supported Windows
    programs on Linux (MS Office 97/2000/XP, for example).

    There is a free version. Or the Standard version is about $70 (and you can
    install it on as many systems as you own)...and the Deluxe version is about
    $125.

    I use that one on 5 PCs here.
    steve, Nov 3, 2005
  16. CyiPherX

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > The File Manager in Xandros is the lineal descendent of the Corel Linux
    > File Manager - and included support for many removable media (digital
    > cameras, card readers), CD-RW and DVD-R devices....as well as wireless
    > network devices - either out of the box or following upgrade to the 2.6.11
    > kernel (online upgrade - free)
    >
    > Additionally, Xandros' base set of software is supported and guaranteed to
    > work well together.

    For got to mention the File Manager also includes support for Windows
    network shares and *nix NFS network shares.
    steve, Nov 3, 2005
  17. CyiPherX

    steve Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > Quite interesting. What was really amusing is that on my auction I have
    > "Running Ubuntu Linux, OpenOffice, Firefox, Evolution, Gaim - or you can
    > install your own OS". The first question in my auction was "So, does it
    > come with an OS?"
    >
    > Arghhh.

    People don't read.
    steve, Nov 3, 2005
  18. CyiPherX

    steve Guest

    CyiPherX wrote:

    > Oh an the fact that i dont have to worry about the virus/sypware/trojan
    > issue anymore etc etc...
    >
    > CyiPherX

    It makes computing like it used to be.

    Good, eh.
    steve, Nov 3, 2005
  19. CyiPherX

    steve Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > CyiPherX wrote:
    >

    >> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
    >> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
    >> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
    >>
    >> CyiPherX

    > The grumpyoldhori has moved to Suse,only two things a pain,
    > wireless and video player.
    > grumpy

    Did you check that kernel?

    Was it SMP-enabled or not?

    :)
    steve, Nov 3, 2005
  20. CyiPherX

    MarkH Guest

    grumpyoldhori <> wrote in

    > MarkH wrote:
    >

    >> The procedure for playing videos on SUSE is as follows:
    >>
    >> Install SUSE
    >> Go to YaST and add the packman site (or a mirror) to your
    >> installation source.
    >> Go to software management (it will have a different name if using
    >> older than SUSE 10) and install MPlayer (YaST will also add other
    >> stuff like required CoDecs).
    >> Play videos (I prefer to use MPlayer for this)
    >>

    >> For adding the packman site check here:
    >>

    > http://www.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories#External_Y
    > aST_
    >> Repositories
    >>

    > Thanks Mark,I am using 9.1 pro,worth changing to Suse 10?.
    > grumpy

    Well, I've played a little with 9.2. Then I used 9.3 on 2 PCs for a couple
    of months. I changed over to 10 about a week ago. I am not sure how 10
    compares to 9.1, but it is definitely faster than 9.3. It seems that a lot
    of effort was put into speeding up the common little things like how fast
    programs start up.

    I think it is definitely worth taking a look at SUSE 10.

    SUSE 10 doesn't just run fast on my fast PC (3800+, 2GB RAM, X850 Pro) but
    also runs fast on my over 5 year old PC (P3-866, 512MB PC133 RAM, GeForce2
    MX). I am not talking fast as in programs calculating faster than normal,
    I am talking about the more important fast - snappier, more responsive in
    normal KDE desktop use.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade