Ubuntu Linux.....not bad!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    I loaded up Ubuntu Linux 4.10 tonight.

    It's based on the Debian distribution. It has apt package
    management.....which is now my favouriate among the various package
    managers.

    It defaults to Gnome as the GUI....whereas most distros seem to now use KDE.
    Having said that, it looks very good....and Gnome has obviously improved
    since the last time I used it regularly (over a year ago).

    It took 20 minutes to install.....which I did distractedly while reading
    some online newspapers.

    There seems to be an issue playing MP3s....but apparently this will be fixed
    in minutes if I read the FAQ on the web site.....

    Unlike more sophisticated distros like Xandros or SuSE, Ubuntu is free. It
    installs from a single CD....and if you're connected to the net, it will
    automatically download the latest security updates and apply them more or
    less immediately the network is available.

    Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3 and Evolution 2.02 (hadn't seen that before!) are
    included as default browser and e-mail.

    Overall? Very nice. Worth a look if you want to install a Debian-based
    distro in a hurry with all the mod-cons....and Gnome up front.

    www.ubuntulinux.org

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    steve, Nov 30, 2004

  2. steve

    Chris Hope Guest

    steve wrote:

    > I loaded up Ubuntu Linux 4.10 tonight.
    >
    > It's based on the Debian distribution. It has apt package
    > management.....which is now my favouriate among the various package
    > managers.
    >
    > It defaults to Gnome as the GUI....whereas most distros seem to now
    > use KDE. Having said that, it looks very good....and Gnome has
    > obviously improved since the last time I used it regularly (over a
    > year ago).
    >
    > It took 20 minutes to install.....which I did distractedly while
    > reading some online newspapers.
    >
    > There seems to be an issue playing MP3s....but apparently this will be
    > fixed in minutes if I read the FAQ on the web site.....
    >
    > Unlike more sophisticated distros like Xandros or SuSE, Ubuntu is
    > free. It installs from a single CD....and if you're connected to the
    > net, it will automatically download the latest security updates and
    > apply them more or less immediately the network is available.
    >
    > Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3 and Evolution 2.02 (hadn't seen that before!)
    > are included as default browser and e-mail.
    >
    > Overall? Very nice. Worth a look if you want to install a Debian-based
    > distro in a hurry with all the mod-cons....and Gnome up front.
    >
    > www.ubuntulinux.org

    I installed that on my iBook a few weeks back. I would agree that it
    seems pretty nice but I haven't been doing too much with it at the
    moment other than ferrying files around the place.

    (I have Gentoo installed on my x86 laptop which is what I mainly use
    when working at other people's offices, and have created a script to
    sync it with my desktop so they both have the same email, news, dev
    websites etc).

    Ubuntu comes with Synaptic which you use to install new packages. I read
    somewhere that there's a way you can get Synaptic to install KDE if you
    would rather use that desktop.

    That would be more useful for me than Ubuntu on my iBook for sycing
    email (I use KMail) etc but I think I'll wait instead until Yellow Dog
    4 becomes available as a free download. Yellow Dog is a version based
    on RedHat developed specifically for PPC hardware.
    www.yellowdoglinux.com

    Oh yes, and I do sometimes use the OSX install on my iBook as well :)
    but then only for testing in OSX web browsers.

    Chris Hope, Nov 30, 2004

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > (I have Gentoo installed on my x86 laptop which is what I mainly use
    > when working at other people's offices, and have created a script to
    > sync it with my desktop so they both have the same email, news, dev
    > websites etc).

    Actually.....in overwrote a semi-complete Gentoo install with Ubuntu.

    I tried yet again to do the "fast" GRP install.....but it said I needed a
    package that wasn't on the CD.....and awaaaay we went.....downloading and
    compiling for hours.

    I know the result is worth it IF you have the time.

    I don't have the time.

    Gentoo is for people with no kids....or people who want their wife to walk
    out on them....and take the kids :)

    steve, Nov 30, 2004
  4. steve

    Chris Hope Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> (I have Gentoo installed on my x86 laptop which is what I mainly use
    >> when working at other people's offices, and have created a script to
    >> sync it with my desktop so they both have the same email, news, dev
    >> websites etc).

    > Actually.....in overwrote a semi-complete Gentoo install with Ubuntu.
    >
    > I tried yet again to do the "fast" GRP install.....but it said I
    > needed a package that wasn't on the CD.....and awaaaay we
    > went.....downloading and compiling for hours.
    >
    > I know the result is worth it IF you have the time.
    >
    > I don't have the time.

    Yes, Gentoo can be a *lot* of work to set up and fine tune...

    Chris Hope, Nov 30, 2004
  5. steve

    Allistar Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> (I have Gentoo installed on my x86 laptop which is what I mainly use
    >> when working at other people's offices, and have created a script to
    >> sync it with my desktop so they both have the same email, news, dev
    >> websites etc).

    > Actually.....in overwrote a semi-complete Gentoo install with Ubuntu.
    >
    > I tried yet again to do the "fast" GRP install.....but it said I needed a
    > package that wasn't on the CD.....and awaaaay we went.....downloading and
    > compiling for hours.
    >
    > I know the result is worth it IF you have the time.
    >
    > I don't have the time.
    >
    > Gentoo is for people with no kids....or people who want their wife to walk
    > out on them....and take the kids :)

    Or for people like me, with a wife and kid but a dislike of evening TV and a
    penchant for staying up late.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 30, 2004
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    steve, Nov 30, 2004
  7. steve

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 00:55:15 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Gentoo is for people with no kids....or people who want their wife to walk
    > out on them....and take the kids :)

    How long does it take, they are still here :)
    Bret, Dec 1, 2004
  8. steve

    Allistar Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:

    >>> Gentoo is for people with no kids....or people who want their wife to
    >>> walk out on them....and take the kids :)

    >> Or for people like me, with a wife and kid but a dislike of evening TV
    >> and a penchant for staying up late.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > So I take it she hasn't left yet, then. :)

    Yet? Nope.
    Allistar, Dec 1, 2004
  9. steve

    Max Barwell Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 00:57:36 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    > Yes, Gentoo can be a *lot* of work to set up and fine tune...

    "The Gentoo install was like finding a forest, cutting down the trees,
    breaking a leg, getting out of the hospital, coming back, taking out the
    stumps and clearing the land of rocks, planting wheat, building a mill,
    making flower, making dough, then building an oven in which to burn it to
    a crisp, stealing a cow, milking it, churning the butter, picking berries,
    making jam. YUMMY! Breakfast is ready, but you don't have time to eat
    because it's time to update everything, including GCC, which also means a
    complete recompilation of everything."

    blatantly cut and pasted from somewhere, thought it was funny, not
    intended to be a flame.

    PS I'm a happy Ubuntu user.

    Max
    Max Barwell, Dec 1, 2004
  10. steve

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Max Barwell wrote:

    > PS I'm a happy Ubuntu user.
    >
    > Max

    I see Debian have just added Gnome 2.8 to Sarge, big Kudos to Ubuntu for
    pushing this along.
    Alex Axolotl, Dec 1, 2004
  11. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:02:06 +1300, Max Barwell wrote:

    > "The Gentoo install was like finding a forest, cutting down the trees,
    > breaking a leg, getting out of the hospital, coming back, taking out the
    > stumps and clearing the land of rocks, planting wheat, building a mill,
    > making flower, making dough, then building an oven in which to burn it to
    > a crisp, stealing a cow, milking it, churning the butter, picking berries,
    > making jam. YUMMY! Breakfast is ready, but you don't have time to eat
    > because it's time to update everything, including GCC, which also means a
    > complete recompilation of everything."

    Psst, computers do not need to eat food.
    Gordon, Dec 2, 2004
  12. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 00:23:11 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Overall? Very nice. Worth a look if you want to install a Debian-based
    > distro in a hurry with all the mod-cons....and Gnome up front.
    >
    > www.ubuntulinux.org

    Pity that one has to get into an FTP tranaction before the word torrent
    appears.

    Having started a bittorrent is is going hell for leather, as in the the
    upload started right after the first slice arrived.

    BitTorrent, how large files are copied around the Internet. OK, sure is,
    so join in people.
    Gordon, Dec 2, 2004