Ubuntu linux firefox users

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Colyn, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Colyn

    Colyn Guest

    Colyn, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Colyn

    Kouros Guest

    Colyn wrote:
    > I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my laptop and want to upgrade
    > firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 but the Ubuntu package site at
    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/ does not have the current version.
    >
    > Is there another way to upgrade?

    Having not used Ubuntu yet, I can only guess, but... can you download it
    from http://www.mozilla.org ?
    Kouros, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Colyn

    Colyn Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:50:18 +0100, Kouros <> wrote:

    >> I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my laptop and want to upgrade
    >> firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 but the Ubuntu package site at
    >> http://packages.ubuntu.com/ does not have the current version.
    >>
    >> Is there another way to upgrade?

    >Having not used Ubuntu yet, I can only guess, but... can you download it
    >from http://www.mozilla.org ?

    I can do a full install from the dl from firefox but then I would have
    to do a sym link to the old version since uninstalling it would take
    other needed packages.

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng
    http://www.colyngoodson.com
    Colyn, Jun 26, 2005
  4. On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:27:36 GMT, Colyn <> dijo:

    >On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:50:18 +0100, Kouros <> wrote:

    >>> I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my laptop and want to upgrade
    >>> firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 but the Ubuntu package site at
    >>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/ does not have the current version.
    >>>
    >>> Is there another way to upgrade?

    >>Having not used Ubuntu yet, I can only guess, but... can you download it
    >>from http://www.mozilla.org ?
    >>

    >I can do a full install from the dl from firefox but then I would have
    >to do a sym link to the old version since uninstalling it would take
    >other needed packages.

    Actually, you may already have 1.04. When I go to mozilla.org the site
    senses I have Ubuntu and a message appears alerting me that there is a
    bug in Ubuntu 5.04 with respect to Firefox. For some reason it
    displays Forefox 1.02 as the version installed regardless of which
    version is actually installed. Thus, mozilla.org is cannot tell which
    version you really have.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
    Marek Williams, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Colyn

    Colyn Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:52:15 -0700, Marek Williams <>
    wrote:

    >Actually, you may already have 1.04. When I go to mozilla.org the site
    >senses I have Ubuntu and a message appears alerting me that there is a
    >bug in Ubuntu 5.04 with respect to Firefox. For some reason it
    >displays Forefox 1.02 as the version installed regardless of which
    >version is actually installed. Thus, mozilla.org is cannot tell which
    >version you really have.

    I found out that updating via the red update button on the task bar
    updates firefox with the 1.0.4 security patch.

    I also found out how to access the mozilla addon page to install
    themes, extensions, and plugins.

    Open firefox and type about:config scroll down to
    general.useragent.vendorSub.
    Right click on the version 1.0 and select modify. Change the version
    to 1.0.4 save and close firefox then restart. You can then access the
    addon page.

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng
    http://www.colyngoodson.com
    Colyn, Jun 30, 2005
  6. On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:26:49 GMT, Colyn <> dijo:

    >On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:52:15 -0700, Marek Williams <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Actually, you may already have 1.04. When I go to mozilla.org the site
    >>senses I have Ubuntu and a message appears alerting me that there is a
    >>bug in Ubuntu 5.04 with respect to Firefox. For some reason it
    >>displays Forefox 1.02 as the version installed regardless of which
    >>version is actually installed. Thus, mozilla.org is cannot tell which
    >>version you really have.

    >I found out that updating via the red update button on the task bar
    >updates firefox with the 1.0.4 security patch.

    I don't have a red button on the task bar because I don't have a task
    bar. I have Ubuntu-64, not Windows. There is a round flower-looking
    thing just under the X in the upper right corner of the Firefox
    window, but it takes me to Ubuntu, not mozilla.org.

    >I also found out how to access the mozilla addon page to install
    >themes, extensions, and plugins.

    >Open firefox and type about:config scroll down to
    >general.useragent.vendorSub.
    >Right click on the version 1.0 and select modify. Change the version
    >to 1.0.4 save and close firefox then restart. You can then access the
    >addon page.

    Cool deal!

    OK, I did that. But in the Help > About it still says I have 1.02.
    However, mozilla.org no longer gives me the message about not knowing
    what version I have, so maybe it did something.

    As for the addon page. I can't find it. At least, not from
    mozilla.org. I can get to a page that may be what you are referring by
    clicking on Tools > Extensions. That lists several plugins and
    extensions.

    The one I really want is RealPlayer. But downloading it is weird. I
    have Firefox set up to download everything to my desktop. So I
    downloaded realplayer10.bin (or whatever the exact filename was). It
    did not appear on my desktop. I have Desktop set in Edit > Preferences
    as the place to download everything. I mean, the download window
    popped up and it appeared to be downloading, but nothing appeared on
    my desktop. Switching to command line and doing a ls on my Desktop, it
    is definitely not on my desktop. Doing a deeper search revealed that
    it is not anywhere on my computer.

    I logged out and back in for a few minutes as root. Tried it all
    again. Still no download file. And no error messages either. Evidently
    it went off planet and is now on its way to Alpha Centauri.

    And this is not the first time that Firefox has failed to download a
    file that it said it was downloading. Not sure what the bug is, but
    it's annoying.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
    Marek Williams, Jul 5, 2005
  7. Colyn

    Colyn Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 21:04:38 -0700, Marek Williams <>
    wrote:

    >I don't have a red button on the task bar because I don't have a task
    >bar. I have Ubuntu-64, not Windows. There is a round flower-looking
    >thing just under the X in the upper right corner of the Firefox
    >window, but it takes me to Ubuntu, not mozilla.org.

    I have Ubuntu 5.04
    After install a red button appears on the task bar near the clock
    location. You click this button and your system is updated with any
    new updates posted since the CD was released.

    >OK, I did that. But in the Help > About it still says I have 1.02.
    >However, mozilla.org no longer gives me the message about not knowing
    >what version I have, so maybe it did something.

    It will still say v1.0.2 in the about section.

    >As for the addon page. I can't find it. At least, not from
    >mozilla.org. I can get to a page that may be what you are referring by
    >clicking on Tools > Extensions. That lists several plugins and
    >extensions.

    That is the addon page. My copy of firefox has a link in bookmarks to
    this page.

    >The one I really want is RealPlayer. But downloading it is weird. I
    >have Firefox set up to download everything to my desktop. So I
    >downloaded realplayer10.bin (or whatever the exact filename was). It
    >did not appear on my desktop. I have Desktop set in Edit > Preferences
    >as the place to download everything. I mean, the download window
    >popped up and it appeared to be downloading, but nothing appeared on
    >my desktop. Switching to command line and doing a ls on my Desktop, it
    >is definitely not on my desktop. Doing a deeper search revealed that
    >it is not anywhere on my computer.
    >
    >I logged out and back in for a few minutes as root. Tried it all
    >again. Still no download file. And no error messages either. Evidently
    >it went off planet and is now on its way to Alpha Centauri.
    >
    >And this is not the first time that Firefox has failed to download a
    >file that it said it was downloading. Not sure what the bug is, but
    >it's annoying.

    Look in the desktop folder in your home folder. Don't know if it is
    there but worth a look..

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng
    http://www.colyngoodson.com
    Colyn, Jul 5, 2005
  8. On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:39:51 GMT Colyn <> wrote:

    >I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my laptop and want to upgrade
    >firefox from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 but the Ubuntu package site at
    >http://packages.ubuntu.com/ does not have the current version.
    >
    >Is there another way to upgrade?

    Go to http://ubuntuguide.org/ and follow the instructions for adding
    extra repositories. You will then be able to get Firefox 1.0.4 from
    the backport repositories. You may still need to change the
    general.useragent.vendorSub string value to 1.0.4 to access the
    mozilla site.
    --
    schrodinger's cat
    schrodinger's cat, Jul 7, 2005