    So true, so true...

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Jun 20, 2007

  2. Miguel

    Shane Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    > Won't mean anything to most people but, being a linux newbie, it made me
    > smile...
    >
    > <snip>
    > "Introduction to using the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu"
    >
    > You'll probably have seen instructions on help pages or forums similar to
    >
    > sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/
    > underscores_strokes/and.dots
    >
    > </snip>
    >
    > So true, so true...
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes
    eg. |
    *shakes head*

    --
    Q: What is hallucinogenic and exists for every group with order divisible by
    p^k?
    Shane, Jun 20, 2007

  3. Miguel

    peterwn Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Miguel wrote:
    >
    >> Won't mean anything to most people but, being a linux newbie, it made me
    >> smile...
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >> "Introduction to using the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu"
    >>
    >> You'll probably have seen instructions on help pages or forums similar to
    >>
    >> sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/
    >> underscores_strokes/and.dots
    >>
    >> </snip>
    >>
    >> So true, so true...
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Miguel

    > Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes
    > eg. |
    > *shakes head*

    No, actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
    slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
    forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
    backward slash. Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate
    web site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie
    UNIX, Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.

    I cannot comment on the correctness of the 'sudo' line quoted because I
    am unaware of any program or script called gobbledegook , although one
    could write a script or program and call it that (in *NIX there is no
    need for .exe for program names). In some commands (eg tar) a file name
    may follow a -f as in the above example - the file name being in quite
    familiar format except for the forward slashes.
    peterwn, Jun 20, 2007
  4. Miguel

    Shane Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Miguel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Won't mean anything to most people but, being a linux newbie, it made me
    >>> smile...
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>> "Introduction to using the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu"
    >>>
    >>> You'll probably have seen instructions on help pages or forums similar
    >>>
    >>> sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/
    >>> underscores_strokes/and.dots
    >>>
    >>> </snip>
    >>>
    >>> So true, so true...
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Miguel

    >> Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes
    >> eg. |
    >> *shakes head*
    >>

    > No, actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
    > slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
    > forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
    > backward slash. Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate
    > web site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie
    > UNIX, Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.

    Just out of curiousity peter, when would you see pipes being used on the
    commandline??
    When you figure that out you *might* understand my response.

    > I cannot comment on the correctness of the 'sudo' line quoted because I
    > am unaware of any program or script called gobbledegook , although one
    > could write a script or program and call it that (in *NIX there is no
    > need for .exe for program names). In some commands (eg tar) a file name
    > may follow a -f as in the above example - the file name being in quite
    > familiar format except for the forward slashes.

    --
    Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
    Shane, Jun 20, 2007
  5. Miguel

    sam Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:

    >>> Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes
    >>> eg. |
    >>> *shakes head*
    >>>

    >> No, actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
    >> slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
    >> forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
    >> backward slash. Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate
    >> web site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie
    >> UNIX, Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.
    >>

    > Just out of curiousity peter, when would you see pipes being used on the
    > commandline??
    > When you figure that out you *might* understand my response.
    >
    >> I cannot comment on the correctness of the 'sudo' line quoted because I
    >> am unaware of any program or script called gobbledegook , although one
    >> could write a script or program and call it that (in *NIX there is no
    >> need for .exe for program names). In some commands (eg tar) a file name
    >> may follow a -f as in the above example - the file name being in quite
    >> familiar format except for the forward slashes.

    I bet Miguel wishes he never tried pointing out some humour to the
    Aspergers crowd now !
    sam, Jun 20, 2007
  6. Miguel

    Shane Guest

    sam wrote:

    Wasnt the last nym you used to run "Shannon"

    --
    Q: What's yellow, normed, and complete?
    A: A Bananach space.
    Shane, Jun 20, 2007
  7. Miguel

    impossible Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > Shane wrote:
    >> Miguel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Won't mean anything to most people but, being a linux newbie, it made me
    >>> smile...
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>> "Introduction to using the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu"
    >>>
    >>> You'll probably have seen instructions on help pages or forums similar
    >>>
    >>> sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/
    >>> underscores_strokes/and.dots
    >>>
    >>> </snip>
    >>>
    >>> So true, so true...
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Miguel

    >> Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes eg. |
    >> *shakes head*
    >>

    > No, actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
    > slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
    > forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
    > backward slash. Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate web
    > site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie UNIX,
    > Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.
    >
    > I cannot comment on the correctness of the 'sudo' line quoted because I am
    > unaware of any program or script called gobbledegook , although one could
    > write a script or program and call it that (in *NIX there is no need for
    > .exe for program names). In some commands (eg tar) a file name may follow
    > a -f as in the above example - the file name being in quite familiar
    > format except for the forward slashes.

    Thank God for that clarification!! And they say Linuxheads have no sense of
    humor....
    impossible, Jun 20, 2007
  8. In message <46788fc1$>, peterwn wrote:

    > ... actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
    > slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
    > forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
    > backward slash.

    The reason for that was that forward slashes were already being used in
    PC/MS-DOS 1.x to indicate command-line options. Hence when directory
    hierarchies were introduced in 2.x, they decided to go with backslashes as
    the path separator.

    > Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate
    > web site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie
    > UNIX, Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.

    Though I believe Internet Explorer will accept backslashes in URLs, silently
    converting them to forward slashes.

    This backslash/forward-slash confusion I like to call "DOSlexia". I often
    see it exhibited by Windows users.

    Fun idea: set up a basic Web server. At the top level of the DocumentRoot,
    put a file called "DOS\lexia.html", and a subdirectory called "DOS". Within
    the latter, put a file called "lexia.html".

    Then try the following URL in different browsers:

    http://your-web-server/DOS\lexia.html

    and see which page they display. :)

    > In some commands (eg tar) a file name may follow a -f as in the above
    > example ...

    Did you notice the -w and -t preceding the -f? :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 20, 2007