    with a simple GUI rather than error prone commands and config files?

    Cheers,
    JohnO
    JohnO, Dec 16, 2009

  2. JohnO

    AD. Guest

    On Dec 16, 1:03 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    > There seems to be no way to
    > - Select different resolutions for the netbook screen and external
    > monitor
    > - Select Dual Monitor vs Clone
    > - Set a resolution greater the netbook screen resolution.

    This has worked for me over many Ubuntu versions on my Thinkpad. I
    only need to use the display applet thingy on the menu bar to
    configure it.

    One annoying limitation of (some?) Intel drivers that could be biting
    you is that its virtual screen size is limited to 2048x2048 pixels.

    This means that eg: a 1280x1024 won't fit side by side with a 1024x768
    without glitchy overlaps, but they can fit with one above the other
    OK.

    I'm hoping that Intel will eventually fix that.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 16, 2009

  3. JohnO

    Sailor Sam Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Dec 16, 1:03 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    >> There seems to be no way to
    >> - Select different resolutions for the netbook screen and external
    >> monitor
    >> - Select Dual Monitor vs Clone
    >> - Set a resolution greater the netbook screen resolution.

    > This has worked for me over many Ubuntu versions on my Thinkpad. I
    > only need to use the display applet thingy on the menu bar to
    > configure it.
    >
    > One annoying limitation of (some?) Intel drivers that could be biting
    > you is that its virtual screen size is limited to 2048x2048 pixels.
    >
    > This means that eg: a 1280x1024 won't fit side by side with a 1024x768
    > without glitchy overlaps, but they can fit with one above the other
    > OK.
    >
    > I'm hoping that Intel will eventually fix that.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    I have an Acer Aspire One running Ubuntu, using 'Display' (System |
    Preferences | Display) I can do all three of the requested functions.

    Including dragging the two screens about such that they can be side by
    side (I choose who is to the left, and who is to the right) or Above and
    below. Choosing a resolution for one, or both screens, rotation, and
    refresh rate.
    Sailor Sam, Dec 16, 2009
  4. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 16, 2:26 pm, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    > AD. wrote:
    > > On Dec 16, 1:03 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    > >> There seems to be no way to
    > >> - Select different resolutions for the netbook screen and external
    > >> monitor
    > >> - Select Dual Monitor vs Clone
    > >> - Set a resolution greater the netbook screen resolution.

    > > This has worked for me over many Ubuntu versions on my Thinkpad. I
    > > only need to use the display applet thingy on the menu bar to
    > > configure it.

    > > One annoying limitation of (some?) Intel drivers that could be biting
    > > you is that its virtual screen size is limited to 2048x2048 pixels.

    > > This means that eg: a 1280x1024 won't fit side by side with a 1024x768
    > > without glitchy overlaps, but they can fit with one above the other
    > > OK.

    > > I'm hoping that Intel will eventually fix that.

    > > --
    > > Cheers
    > > Anton

    > I have an Acer Aspire One running Ubuntu, using 'Display' (System |
    > Preferences | Display) I can do all three of the requested functions.

    What's the graphics chipset?

    That doesn't appear to work on a BenQ U101 with the Intel 945G
    chipset.

    Or perhaps the problem is related to running as a LiveCD (off a USB
    stick in this case).

    > Including dragging the two screens about such that they can be side by
    > side (I choose who is to the left, and who is to the right) or Above and
    > below. Choosing a resolution for one, or both screens, rotation, and
    > refresh rate.

    Yep, all as I would expect it to work (and does work under WinXP)
    JohnO, Dec 16, 2009
  5. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 16, 2:52 am, JohnO <> wrote:
    > On Dec 16, 2:26 pm, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    >

    > > AD. wrote:

    > > > This has worked for me over many Ubuntu versions on my Thinkpad. I
    > > > only need to use the display applet thingy on the menu bar to
    > > > configure it.

    > > > One annoying limitation of (some?) Intel drivers that could be biting
    > > > you is that its virtual screen size is limited to 2048x2048 pixels.

    > > > This means that eg: a 1280x1024 won't fit side by side with a 1024x768
    > > > without glitchy overlaps, but they can fit with one above the other
    > > > OK.

    > > > I'm hoping that Intel will eventually fix that.

    > > > --
    > > > Cheers
    > > > Anton

    > > I have an Acer Aspire One running Ubuntu, using 'Display' (System |
    > > Preferences | Display) I can do all three of the requested functions.

    > What's the graphics chipset?
    >
    > That doesn't appear to work on a BenQ U101 with the Intel 945G
    > chipset.
    >
    > Or perhaps the problem is related to running as a LiveCD (off a USB
    > stick in this case).
    >

    > > Including dragging the two screens about such that they can be side by
    > > side (I choose who is to the left, and who is to the right) or Above and
    > > below. Choosing a resolution for one, or both screens, rotation, and
    > > refresh rate.

    > Yep, all as I would expect it to work (and does work under WinXP)

    I booted the usb stick on an old Compaq Presario and it's even worse.
    The system hangs as dead as a doornail after starting Gnome.

    Seems to be yet another problem related to the Intel 945 chipset:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ bug/461163

    Not impressed with 9.10 :p
    JohnO, Dec 16, 2009