Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration...............

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BigglesZz, Nov 5, 2009.

  1. BigglesZz

    BigglesZz Guest

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/03/karmic_koala_frustration/

    Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters
    wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.

    And that's a sentiment already being voiced in the Ubuntu forums. Ubuntu
    9.10 upgrader graydo64 posted: "Wish I'd done a clean install. Appreciate
    that as an existing and generally content Ubuntu user I'm not Joe Public
    but if I were I'd have dropped Ubuntu at about 9.30 last night and
    toddled off to find a copy of Windows 7."

    pretty sad reading ..& it is from the Theregister ... wonder how the
    cola trolls / sailorsam will bypass this shit storm /disaster ...

    Bigglesszzzz

    BigglesZz, Nov 5, 2009

  2. BigglesZz

    BigglesZz Guest

    On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:29:56 +1200, vitw wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 02:03:26 +0000, BigglesZz wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters
    >> wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.

    > What do people expect?
    >
    > Forget what the website says.
    > The real translation of 'Ubuntu' is 'death and rebirth twice a year'.
    >
    > Expecting a clean upgrade from one buntu version to the next is like
    > driving at over 100km/h with your eyes shut.
    >
    > I gave up buntu 3 years ago and went back to Debian Unstable which,
    > ironically, is one of the most stable operating systems available.

    Beats me why people worship ubuntu either ... opensuse are claiming
    rolling upgrades with 11.2 ...

    And blaming it all on upgrades is .... well blinkered,,,,

    Lots of people clean installed ubuntu and still had tons of freakin
    problems .. just go read their forums.

    Does Debian do rolling upgrades from one OS version to the next release?
    And i dont want to be in the crap situation that ubuntu users end up in,

    I heard the debian devs do as much in fighting as the gentoo devs ..
    which kinda put me off it .. if Im wrong on this please .........
    correct me lol.

    Bigglezzz

    BigglesZz, Nov 5, 2009

  3. BigglesZz

    Enkidu Guest

    vitw wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 02:03:26 +0000, BigglesZz wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters
    >> wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.

    > What do people expect?
    >
    > Forget what the website says. The real translation of 'Ubuntu' is
    > 'death and rebirth twice a year'.
    >
    > Expecting a clean upgrade from one buntu version to the next is like
    > driving at over 100km/h with your eyes shut.

    I've upgraded Ubuntu several times, with variable luck. KK is not too
    bad. At least there is an upgrade path. The other OS doesn't even allow
    an upgrade.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 6, 2009
  4. BigglesZz

    victor Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > vitw wrote:
    >> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 02:03:26 +0000, BigglesZz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters
    >>> wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.

    >> What do people expect?
    >>
    >> Forget what the website says. The real translation of 'Ubuntu' is
    >> 'death and rebirth twice a year'.
    >>
    >> Expecting a clean upgrade from one buntu version to the next is like
    >> driving at over 100km/h with your eyes shut.
    >>

    > I've upgraded Ubuntu several times, with variable luck. KK is not too
    > bad. At least there is an upgrade path. The other OS doesn't even allow
    > an upgrade.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I have Google Chrome and several launchpad ppa apps etc that aren't in
    the main distro, so I like to keep my options open.
    I prefer to make a new OS partition, do a clean install, then symlink my
    content into my home directory so that each app keeps its own new settings.

    victor, Nov 6, 2009