UBS vs Jetstream?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    G'day all....

    I'm looking for advice on this one.

    Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
    choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
    keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.

    I run my own mail and web server, serving 4 domains, and I have a static
    IP address....so Xtra isn't an option for my ISP.

    I'd been avoiding the jetstream / bitstream fork for a while.....as I
    have seen here all the grumpiness here in nz.comp about bitstream.

    But......time for the rubber to hit the road.....so I told them to move
    me to bitstream on August 19th.

    Did I do the right thing?

    How are people finding bitstream - from whichever ISP?
    steve, Aug 1, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:40:04 +1200, steve wrote:

    > G'day all....
    >
    > I'm looking for advice on this one.
    >
    > Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
    > choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
    > keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.


    I'm in the same situation as well. I have been waiting on the sidelines
    since September lsat year for UBS to pan out and the situation to resolve
    it self. Time is obviously running out for us Orcon Jetstream customers
    and USB is still IMHO no where near as good as Jetstream.

    I had a visit to Orcon's Forums again tonight and it *seems* Orcon UBS is
    in the same state that it pretty much has been for quite some time however
    with some improvements for gamers.

    I guess it's going to drill down to what you normally do with your
    connection. If you only surf, email, and download (not P2P) then Orcon
    Bitstream may be adequate. If you do quite a bit of P2P, gaming, VOIP
    and/or other latency sensitive applications, best to avoid UBS altogether.

    For me, it looks like I will just have to bite the bullet and go over to
    Xtra...
    Pacific Dragon, Aug 1, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. steve

    EMB Guest

    steve wrote:
    > G'day all....
    >
    > I'm looking for advice on this one.
    >
    > Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
    > choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
    > keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.
    >
    > I run my own mail and web server, serving 4 domains, and I have a static
    > IP address....so Xtra isn't an option for my ISP.
    >
    > I'd been avoiding the jetstream / bitstream fork for a while.....as I
    > have seen here all the grumpiness here in nz.comp about bitstream.
    >
    > But......time for the rubber to hit the road.....so I told them to move
    > me to bitstream on August 19th.
    >
    > Did I do the right thing?
    >
    > How are people finding bitstream - from whichever ISP?


    I'm in the same situation with ihug at the moment. They will do static
    IP's if you ask REALLY nicely and their UBS appears to be a lot less
    promblematic than Orcon's.


    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 2, 2005
    #3
  4. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> G'day all....
    >>
    >> I'm looking for advice on this one.
    >>
    >> Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
    >> choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
    >> keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.
    >>
    >> I run my own mail and web server, serving 4 domains, and I have a
    >> static IP address....so Xtra isn't an option for my ISP.
    >>
    >> I'd been avoiding the jetstream / bitstream fork for a while.....as I
    >> have seen here all the grumpiness here in nz.comp about bitstream.
    >>
    >> But......time for the rubber to hit the road.....so I told them to
    >> move me to bitstream on August 19th.
    >>
    >> Did I do the right thing?
    >>
    >> How are people finding bitstream - from whichever ISP?

    >
    > I'm in the same situation with ihug at the moment. They will do
    > static IP's if you ask REALLY nicely and their UBS appears to be a
    > lot less promblematic than Orcon's.


    I feel compelled to say that, IME, Orcon's UBS offering has inproved
    considerably of late. I have been quick enough to complain so it's only fair
    I should say that, other than a couple of short outages, I've had nothing to
    complain about in the last month or two. They have just implimented their
    third ATM circuit from telecom and seem to have provisioned it quite well.
    My download speeds and latency ar far and away better than they were a few
    months back. In fact international latency is almost comparable to what I
    was getting on Jetstream, maybe ~40ms worse, which is about what Telecom
    have introduced into their wholesale package to discourage VoIP.

    At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
    UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
    things will stay rosy.

    Damn I hope I haven't jinxed it.

    BTW, you get a static IP with Orcon UBS, they just aren't allowed to
    advertise it as such due to an agreement with Telecom. Telecom like to
    charge more for a static IP and don't want those potential customers using
    UBS through third-parties. I've had the same IP for 9 (or so) months now and
    Orcon tell me it's not about to change.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 2, 2005
    #4
  5. steve

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >>steve wrote:
    >>
    >>>G'day all....
    >>>
    >>>I'm looking for advice on this one.
    >>>
    >>>Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
    >>>choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
    >>>keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.
    >>>
    >>>I run my own mail and web server, serving 4 domains, and I have a
    >>>static IP address....so Xtra isn't an option for my ISP.
    >>>
    >>>I'd been avoiding the jetstream / bitstream fork for a while.....as I
    >>>have seen here all the grumpiness here in nz.comp about bitstream.
    >>>
    >>>But......time for the rubber to hit the road.....so I told them to
    >>>move me to bitstream on August 19th.
    >>>
    >>>Did I do the right thing?
    >>>
    >>>How are people finding bitstream - from whichever ISP?

    >>
    >>I'm in the same situation with ihug at the moment. They will do
    >>static IP's if you ask REALLY nicely and their UBS appears to be a
    >>lot less promblematic than Orcon's.

    >
    >
    > I feel compelled to say that, IME, Orcon's UBS offering has inproved
    > considerably of late. I have been quick enough to complain so it's only fair
    > I should say that, other than a couple of short outages, I've had nothing to
    > complain about in the last month or two. They have just implimented their
    > third ATM circuit from telecom and seem to have provisioned it quite well.
    > My download speeds and latency ar far and away better than they were a few
    > months back. In fact international latency is almost comparable to what I
    > was getting on Jetstream, maybe ~40ms worse, which is about what Telecom
    > have introduced into their wholesale package to discourage VoIP.
    >
    > At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
    > UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
    > things will stay rosy.
    >

    It's not just me, then - Orcon have improved a lot; I guess this is in
    line with how they thought things would pan out. It still isn't 100% -
    sometimes I find I get timeouts, but ping times are much better and they
    are consistent.

    They've even got a second smtp server that works properly, and their
    free webhosting is back up and running, too.
    -=rjh=-, Aug 2, 2005
    #5
  6. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I feel compelled to say that, IME, Orcon's UBS offering has inproved
    >> considerably of late. I have been quick enough to complain so it's
    >> only fair I should say that, other than a couple of short outages,
    >> I've had nothing to complain about in the last month or two. They
    >> have just implimented their third ATM circuit from telecom and seem
    >> to have provisioned it quite well. My download speeds and latency ar
    >> far and away better than they were a few months back. In fact
    >> international latency is almost comparable to what I was getting on
    >> Jetstream, maybe ~40ms worse, which is about what Telecom have
    >> introduced into their wholesale package to discourage VoIP. At the moment
    >> I would have to say that there's not much wrong with
    >> Orcon UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething
    >> issues and things will stay rosy.
    >>

    > It's not just me, then - Orcon have improved a lot; I guess this is in
    > line with how they thought things would pan out. It still isn't 100% -
    > sometimes I find I get timeouts, but ping times are much better and
    > they are consistent.


    Indeed, However I still feel that they owe me half my money back for the six
    months plus that it was really bad. :) Either that or a "Thanks for
    sticking with us through the hard times, you can take Seeby's Ferrari for a
    drive for half a day". Of course, the gas tank would have to be full.

    > They've even got a second smtp server that works properly, and their
    > free webhosting is back up and running, too.


    Goodness. And not in the "gracious me" way.

    :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2005
    #6
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
    > UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
    > things will stay rosy.


    I was hoping people like yourself would say something like that.

    I had noticed the complaints here had fallen in number.....and
    fingers-crossed it stays that way.

    :)
    steve, Aug 3, 2005
    #7
  8. On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:20:34 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > ~misfit~ wrote:


    <snip>
    >>
    >> At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
    >> UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
    >> things will stay rosy.
    >>

    > It's not just me, then - Orcon have improved a lot; I guess this is in
    > line with how they thought things would pan out. It still isn't 100% -
    > sometimes I find I get timeouts, but ping times are much better and they
    > are consistent.
    >
    > They've even got a second smtp server that works properly, and their
    > free webhosting is back up and running, too.


    It's heartening to actually hear some positive comments regarding Orcon's
    UBS for a change.

    Do either of you (or anyone on Orcon UBS) do any Audio streaming, Use
    bittorent, or download regulary using FTP? If so what have been your
    recent experiences with these on Orcon UBS?
    Pacific Dragon, Aug 3, 2005
    #8
  9. steve

    Richard Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > It's heartening to actually hear some positive comments regarding Orcon's
    > UBS for a change.
    >
    > Do either of you (or anyone on Orcon UBS) do any Audio streaming, Use
    > bittorent, or download regulary using FTP? If so what have been your
    > recent experiences with these on Orcon UBS?


    torrent speeds are ok, but as a result of there traffic prioritisation carryon,
    a single http stream will take the whole connection at the expense of everything
    else that you are doing.
    Richard, Aug 3, 2005
    #9
  10. steve

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    steve wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with
    >> Orcon UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething
    >> issues and things will stay rosy.

    >
    >
    > I was hoping people like yourself would say something like that.
    >
    > I had noticed the complaints here had fallen in number.....and
    > fingers-crossed it stays that way.
    >
    > :)
    >

    I would have replied sooner but a LARGE power surge took out a lot of
    equipment here .....

    They DO seemed to have improved lately, but I seem to have been to busy
    to have noticed it, after all it should *just work* anyway, just like
    the power if people didn't drive their cars through poles holding up
    transformers (apparently they were feeling a little tired and thought
    they should pull over - they just forgot to slow down first, lucky for
    them they managed to walk away.)
    Chris Mayhew, Aug 3, 2005
    #10
  11. steve

    Mike_P Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    news:42f14372$...
    > steve wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
    >>> UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
    >>> things will stay rosy.

    >>
    >>
    >> I was hoping people like yourself would say something like that.
    >>
    >> I had noticed the complaints here had fallen in number.....and
    >> fingers-crossed it stays that way.
    >>
    >> :)
    >>

    > I would have replied sooner but a LARGE power surge took out a lot of
    > equipment here .....
    >
    > They DO seemed to have improved lately, but I seem to have been to busy to
    > have noticed it, after all it should *just work* anyway, just like the
    > power if people didn't drive their cars through poles holding up
    > transformers (apparently they were feeling a little tired and thought they
    > should pull over - they just forgot to slow down first, lucky for them
    > they managed to walk away.)
    >


    In Te Puke are you ?

    Mike_P
    Mike_P, Aug 4, 2005
    #11
  12. steve

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Mike_P wrote:
    > "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > news:42f14372$...
    >
    >>steve wrote:
    >>
    >>>~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
    >>>>UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
    >>>>things will stay rosy.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>I was hoping people like yourself would say something like that.
    >>>
    >>>I had noticed the complaints here had fallen in number.....and
    >>>fingers-crossed it stays that way.
    >>>
    >>>:)
    >>>

    >>
    >>I would have replied sooner but a LARGE power surge took out a lot of
    >>equipment here .....
    >>
    >>They DO seemed to have improved lately, but I seem to have been to busy to
    >>have noticed it, after all it should *just work* anyway, just like the
    >>power if people didn't drive their cars through poles holding up
    >>transformers (apparently they were feeling a little tired and thought they
    >>should pull over - they just forgot to slow down first, lucky for them
    >>they managed to walk away.)
    >>

    >
    >
    > In Te Puke are you ?
    >
    > Mike_P
    >
    >

    Just out of, you ?
    Chris Mayhew, Aug 4, 2005
    #12
  13. steve

    steve Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > They DO seemed to have improved lately, but I seem to have been to busy
    > to have noticed it, after all it should *just work* anyway, just like
    > the power if people didn't drive their cars through poles holding up
    > transformers (apparently they were feeling a little tired and thought
    > they should pull over - they just forgot to slow down first, lucky for
    > them they managed to walk away.)


    I lose my power roughly once every two years for that reason.

    One time a few years ago a truck driver going through Paraparaumu fell
    asleep and took out several phone/power poles on the West side of
    SH1......and that outage took several hours to fix: 6am to noon-ish.

    A couple of months ago a car hit a pole at Himatungi and our power went
    out for over 3 hours.

    There were more before and in between......and of course there was the
    BIG power outage throughout the Wellington region in the lat 80's when
    Peter Button's helicopter hit power lines near Tawa...and he and (Ian?)
    Wolff (photographer) were both killed.
    steve, Aug 4, 2005
    #13
  14. steve

    Mike_P Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    news:42f19d4b$...
    > Mike_P wrote:
    >> "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    >> news:42f14372$...
    >>
    >>>I would have replied sooner but a LARGE power surge took out a lot of
    >>>equipment here .....
    >>>
    >>>They DO seemed to have improved lately, but I seem to have been to busy
    >>>to have noticed it, after all it should *just work* anyway, just like the
    >>>power if people didn't drive their cars through poles holding up
    >>>transformers (apparently they were feeling a little tired and thought
    >>>they should pull over - they just forgot to slow down first, lucky for
    >>>them they managed to walk away.)
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> In Te Puke are you ?
    >>
    >> Mike_P
    >>
    >>

    > Just out of, you ?


    Nah, Papamoa but the wife works just out of Te Puke. Her description of an
    accident out that way matched yours to a tee.
    She says the guy upstairs where she works is named Chris !?

    Anyway, to keep this conversation on topic, yeah my Orcon UBS connection has
    been working fine for at least the past 2 months or more.

    Mike_P
    Mike_P, Aug 4, 2005
    #14
  15. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:20:34 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >
    > <snip>
    >>>
    >>> At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with
    >>> Orcon UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething
    >>> issues and things will stay rosy.
    >>>

    >> It's not just me, then - Orcon have improved a lot; I guess this is
    >> in line with how they thought things would pan out. It still isn't
    >> 100% - sometimes I find I get timeouts, but ping times are much
    >> better and they are consistent.
    >>
    >> They've even got a second smtp server that works properly, and their
    >> free webhosting is back up and running, too.

    >
    > It's heartening to actually hear some positive comments regarding
    > Orcon's UBS for a change.
    >
    > Do either of you (or anyone on Orcon UBS) do any Audio streaming, Use
    > bittorent, or download regulary using FTP? If so what have been your
    > recent experiences with these on Orcon UBS?


    Sorry, can't comment. I play online games, surf, read newsgroups and dowload
    the odd bit of Freeware.

    Latency is and always has been my number one priority.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 4, 2005
    #15
  16. steve

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 01:36:33 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    What's it like using p2p applications? Do they still traffic shape UBS?
    Craig Shore, Aug 5, 2005
    #16
  17. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 01:36:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > What's it like using p2p applications? Do they still traffic shape
    > UBS?


    I haven't used a p2p app for ages so can't tell you sorry. The guy on the
    helldesk told me that they do traffic-shape last time it was bought up.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2005
    #17
  18. On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:38:45 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 01:36:33 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > What's it like using p2p applications? Do they still traffic shape UBS?


    They traffic shape p2p way down...
    wogers nemesis, Aug 6, 2005
    #18
  19. On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:41:51 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > Sorry, can't comment. I play online games, surf, read newsgroups and dowload
    > the odd bit of Freeware.
    >
    > Latency is and always has been my number one priority.


    Ok, Do you normally play on National Servers? Have you tried gaming on
    Overseas servers by any chance (AUS, US, or even *gasp* UK) ?, if so what
    is latency like?

    Currently no one in the household plays games, but I wish to get an idea of
    the overall latency on the UBS service
    Pacific Dragon, Aug 7, 2005
    #19
  20. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:41:51 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> Sorry, can't comment. I play online games, surf, read newsgroups and
    >> dowload the odd bit of Freeware.
    >>
    >> Latency is and always has been my number one priority.

    >
    > Ok, Do you normally play on National Servers? Have you tried gaming
    > on Overseas servers by any chance (AUS, US, or even *gasp* UK) ?, if
    > so what is latency like?


    I only play on servers on the US west coast as the software company who's
    games I play (Blizzard) don't allow third-party servers.

    > Currently no one in the household plays games, but I wish to get an
    > idea of the overall latency on the UBS service.


    All I know is that, on changing from Jetstream to UBS latency increased by
    about 100ms, then got *really* bad, like multi-second lag spikes every
    minute or two. Now it's back to about 100ms slower than Jetstream was.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Brendan
    Replies:
    35
    Views:
    1,034
    Brendan
    Nov 28, 2004
  2. AT
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    361
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Dec 15, 2004
  3. Brendan

    changing from Orcon UBS to Orcon Jetstream

    Brendan, Feb 25, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    524
    Brendan
    Feb 25, 2005
  4. Pacific Dragon
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    350
    Pacific Dragon
    Apr 10, 2005
  5. Pacific Dragon
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    327
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Oct 4, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page