UBS + moving house == HELL!!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Evil Bastard, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Hi,

    I've been trying to arrange the transfer of my UBS connection, since I'm
    moving house.

    Orcon have told me that:
    1) I need a copy of a phone bill issued against the new phone
    number at the new address before they'll submit a connection
    request to Telecom
    2) After submitting the connection request to Telecom, there is a
    minimum 5 day waiting period to get orcon ubs access
    at the new address, despite the fact that Telecom have already
    'hotwired' the phone line for UBS
    3) There is a 45-day disconnection period at the old address, so
    I'm paying 45 days' worth of double fees
    4) I have to send an email to Orcon's disconnections department,
    explaining why I want to disconnect
    5) If I want to avoid new connection fees at the new address, I
    can opt to give up my orcon email address and sign up as a whole
    new user

    Contrasting with other utilities:
    - Telecom got it sorted in 10 minutes, even transferred all my
    existing phone line services and configurations transparently
    (including my answerphone greeting and message)
    - Genesis Energy sorted the electricity transfer in 10 minutes, and
    opened a gas connection against the same account

    All this crap makes me want to give up on UBS and Orcon entirely, and
    find a new broadband transport in Hamilton (any suggestions anyone?)

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Jul 23, 2005

  2. In article <42e18771$>,
    Evil Bastard <> wrote:

    >All this crap makes me want to give up on UBS and Orcon entirely, and
    >find a new broadband transport in Hamilton (any suggestions anyone?)

    All I can say is *gulp*. I'm moving to UBS myself soon (no choice). My
    ISP, Wave <http://www.wave.co.nz/> used to resell something called
    "Wired Country", but that seems to have disappeared off their Web site.
    Now their only broadband option is Ihug's Bliink (they're an Ihug
    subsidiary), which is of course UBS.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2005

  3. Evil Bastard

    BTMO Guest

    "Evil Bastard" <> wrote

    <snip>

    > All this crap makes me want to give up on UBS and Orcon entirely, and
    > find a new broadband transport in Hamilton (any suggestions anyone?)

    Forward a copy of your story to the Commerce Commission.

    UBS is meant to make the customer's life easier, not harder.

    Orcan or Telecom are in breach of that...

    BTMO, Jul 23, 2005
  4. Evil Bastard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been trying to arrange the transfer of my UBS connection, since
    > I'm moving house.
    >
    > Orcon have told me that:
    > 1) I need a copy of a phone bill issued against the new phone
    > number at the new address before they'll submit a connection
    > request to Telecom
    > 2) After submitting the connection request to Telecom, there is a
    > minimum 5 day waiting period to get orcon ubs access
    > at the new address, despite the fact that Telecom have already
    > 'hotwired' the phone line for UBS
    > 3) There is a 45-day disconnection period at the old address, so
    > I'm paying 45 days' worth of double fees
    > 4) I have to send an email to Orcon's disconnections department,
    > explaining why I want to disconnect
    > 5) If I want to avoid new connection fees at the new address, I
    > can opt to give up my orcon email address and sign up as a whole
    > new user
    >
    > Contrasting with other utilities:
    > - Telecom got it sorted in 10 minutes, even transferred all my
    > existing phone line services and configurations transparently
    > (including my answerphone greeting and message)
    > - Genesis Energy sorted the electricity transfer in 10 minutes, and
    > opened a gas connection against the same account
    >
    > All this crap makes me want to give up on UBS and Orcon entirely, and
    > find a new broadband transport in Hamilton (any suggestions anyone?)

    Yep, Orcon have certainly gone down the crapper. 45-day disconnection
    period? I want to see where I signed up agreeing to that. (I'm with Orcon
    Racing too).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Evil Bastard

    Mark Guest

    Remind why UBS is better than just signing up directly with Telecom??

    Mark, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Evil Bastard

    Richard Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Remind why UBS is better than just signing up directly with Telecom??

    Doesnt slow down to the point that its useless after downloading a small amount.

    Richard, Jul 23, 2005
  7. Evil Bastard

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:50:55 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Contrasting with other utilities:
    > - Telecom got it sorted in 10 minutes, even transferred all my
    > existing phone line services and configurations transparently
    > (including my answerphone greeting and message)
    > - Genesis Energy sorted the electricity transfer in 10 minutes, and
    > opened a gas connection against the same account

    Competition here. I was also there in the cases above.

    Gordon, Jul 23, 2005