    I'd deffinatly never do more than 7-8gb per month at most. Price isn't
    too much of a concern (within reason of course)

    TIA
    Mark, Oct 18, 2005

  2. >
    > I deffinatly don't download a lot, but the odd occasion I do download
    > a torrent, its quite frustrating. I figure if i'm paying for 1gb, (or
    > 10gb whatever it may be) I should be able to download that ammount?

    What most people do it try and download their "torrents" at peak time (and
    yes they do slow down during peak times), but they should speed up alot
    offpeak.
    Your UBS is on 24 hours a day, so just leave it running all night).

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Mark

    XPD Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Just wondering if there are any ISP's out there that don't cap p2p
    > downloads etc - the likes of Ihug etc?
    >
    > I'm currently with Orcon, and after changing to bitstream - its been
    > terrible (as i've heard).
    >
    > I deffinatly don't download a lot, but the odd occasion I do download
    > a torrent, its quite frustrating. I figure if i'm paying for 1gb, (or
    > 10gb whatever it may be) I should be able to download that ammount?
    >
    > I'd deffinatly never do more than 7-8gb per month at most. Price isn't
    > too much of a concern (within reason of course)
    >
    > TIA

    Im with Quicksilver and havent had any limiting that Ive noticed......
    XPD, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Mark

    Richard Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Just wondering if there are any ISP's out there that don't cap p2p
    > downloads etc - the likes of Ihug etc?
    >
    > I'm currently with Orcon, and after changing to bitstream - its been
    > terrible (as i've heard).
    >
    > I deffinatly don't download a lot, but the odd occasion I do download
    > a torrent, its quite frustrating. I figure if i'm paying for 1gb, (or
    > 10gb whatever it may be) I should be able to download that ammount?
    >
    > I'd deffinatly never do more than 7-8gb per month at most. Price isn't
    > too much of a concern (within reason of course)

    My torrents rarely drop below the 27k/sec limit I have set in azureus - perhaps
    for a few hours each evening, but nothing that I find annoying
    Richard, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Mark wrote:
    > Just wondering if there are any ISP's out there that don't cap p2p
    > downloads etc - the likes of Ihug etc?

    Yes, I don't think that Ihug does any traffic shaping. I can easily get
    30+kB/sec with 256kb/sec broadband. All their plans are 2mbit now.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Mark

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Just wondering if there are any ISP's out there that don't cap p2p
    > downloads etc - the likes of Ihug etc?
    >
    > I'm currently with Orcon, and after changing to bitstream - its been
    > terrible (as i've heard).
    >
    > I deffinatly don't download a lot, but the odd occasion I do download
    > a torrent, its quite frustrating. I figure if i'm paying for 1gb, (or
    > 10gb whatever it may be) I should be able to download that ammount?
    >
    > I'd deffinatly never do more than 7-8gb per month at most. Price isn't
    > too much of a concern (within reason of course)
    >
    > TIA

    I don't understand why people are complaining about this.

    I'm with Orcon, and I just never notice any slowdown using Bittorrent,
    other than how I'd expect BT to behave.

    I'm on 256k, maybe it is different for other plans; and anyway, I don't
    want BT to hog all the bandwidth. I consistently get 25kbs+ on
    reasonably popular torrents, and I've done 25GB* in the past 20 days.

    *(Suse 10 and 10.1a was released, OK?) :)

    YMMV
    -=rjh=-, Oct 18, 2005
  7. Mark

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Finding Torrents. Was: Re: UBS ISP's

    Richard wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> Just wondering if there are any ISP's out there that don't cap p2p
    >> downloads etc - the likes of Ihug etc?
    >>
    >> I'm currently with Orcon, and after changing to bitstream - its been
    >> terrible (as i've heard).
    >>
    >> I deffinatly don't download a lot, but the odd occasion I do download
    >> a torrent, its quite frustrating. I figure if i'm paying for 1gb, (or
    >> 10gb whatever it may be) I should be able to download that ammount?
    >>
    >> I'd deffinatly never do more than 7-8gb per month at most. Price
    >> isn't too much of a concern (within reason of course)

    > My torrents rarely drop below the 27k/sec limit I have set in azureus
    > - perhaps for a few hours each evening, but nothing that I find
    > annoying

    Ok, just installed Azureus as it seems to be the go. I'm new so please be
    gentle...

    How can I find the episodes of the first two series of '24'? I missed them
    when they were on TV and am really enjoying series 3. I'd like to see the
    other two.

    So far, searching for '24' is giving me way too many hits, some of them of
    the TV series but none of which are series one or two.

    Thank you. :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 18, 2005
  8. Mark

    Alan Howard Guest

    I'm thinking of moving to Orcon, how do you find their USB - is it generally
    reliable?
    ..

    Alan Howard, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Mark

    David Guest

    Re: Finding Torrents. Was: Re: UBS ISP's

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >>Mark wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi guys,
    >>>
    >>>Just wondering if there are any ISP's out there that don't cap p2p
    >>>downloads etc - the likes of Ihug etc?
    >>>
    >>>I'm currently with Orcon, and after changing to bitstream - its been
    >>>terrible (as i've heard).
    >>>
    >>>I deffinatly don't download a lot, but the odd occasion I do download
    >>>a torrent, its quite frustrating. I figure if i'm paying for 1gb, (or
    >>>10gb whatever it may be) I should be able to download that ammount?
    >>>
    >>>I'd deffinatly never do more than 7-8gb per month at most. Price
    >>>isn't too much of a concern (within reason of course)

    >>My torrents rarely drop below the 27k/sec limit I have set in azureus
    >>- perhaps for a few hours each evening, but nothing that I find
    >>annoying

    > Ok, just installed Azureus as it seems to be the go. I'm new so please be
    > gentle...
    >
    > How can I find the episodes of the first two series of '24'? I missed them
    > when they were on TV and am really enjoying series 3. I'd like to see the
    > other two.
    >
    > So far, searching for '24' is giving me way too many hits, some of them of
    > the TV series but none of which are series one or two.
    >
    > Thank you. :)

    Personally I don't think that torrents are the best way to get old TV
    episodes, emule or DC are more suited (i grabbed the same seasons of 24
    from them, searching was a PITA, however i found some magnet: links that
    made it easy). I like the "hdtv.lol" rips best, the quality is amazing
    (and widescreen).
    However, if you want to use BT, you are in luck: Mininova has a whole
    section devoted to 24: http://www.mininova.org/sub/3
    David, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Mark

    MarkH Guest

    Re: Finding Torrents. Was: Re: UBS ISP's

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > How can I find the episodes of the first two series of '24'? I missed
    > them when they were on TV and am really enjoying series 3. I'd like to
    > see the other two.
    >
    > So far, searching for '24' is giving me way too many hits, some of
    > them of the TV series but none of which are series one or two.
    >
    > Thank you. :)

    I have them, maybe I could burn them and pass them to you for $5 or
    something?

    I actually have Season 1, 2, 3 and 4 though I have not yet extracted and
    checked them yet.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Oct 19, 2005
  11. Mark

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> How can I find the episodes of the first two series of '24'? I missed
    >> them when they were on TV and am really enjoying series 3. I'd like
    >> to see the other two.
    >>
    >> So far, searching for '24' is giving me way too many hits, some of
    >> them of the TV series but none of which are series one or two.
    >>
    >> Thank you. :)

    > I have them, maybe I could burn them and pass them to you for $5 or
    > something?

    Wow!! That would be awesome! Yes please.

    > I actually have Season 1, 2, 3 and 4 though I have not yet extracted
    > and checked them yet.

    I'm keen on all you can let me have. <goes over to other machine and stops
    season 3 pilot download>

    Could you please email me on misfitnz at gmail dot com? If you'd like to
    give me a bank account number I'll deposit the money for costs and give you
    my address..

    You beauty!! :)

    Happy happy. Joy joy.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 19, 2005
  12. Mark

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> My torrents rarely drop below the 27k/sec limit I have set in
    >>> azureus - perhaps for a few hours each evening, but nothing that I
    >>> find annoying

    >> Ok, just installed Azureus as it seems to be the go. I'm new so
    >> please be gentle...
    >>
    >> How can I find the episodes of the first two series of '24'? I
    >> missed them when they were on TV and am really enjoying series 3.
    >> I'd like to see the other two.
    >>
    >> So far, searching for '24' is giving me way too many hits, some of
    >> them of the TV series but none of which are series one or two.
    >>
    >> Thank you. :)

    > Personally I don't think that torrents are the best way to get old TV
    > episodes, emule or DC are more suited (i grabbed the same seasons of
    > 24 from them, searching was a PITA, however i found some magnet:
    > links that made it easy). I like the "hdtv.lol" rips best, the
    > quality is amazing (and widescreen).
    > However, if you want to use BT, you are in luck: Mininova has a whole
    > section devoted to 24: http://www.mininova.org/sub/3

    Thanks a lot David. Much appreciated. However, Mark has very generously
    offered me an alternative. :) URL recorded though for future reference.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 19, 2005
  13. Mark

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Alan Howard wrote:
    > I'm thinking of moving to Orcon, how do you find their USB - is it generally
    > reliable?

    As to speed - I'm currently downloading at >30kbs and this is my normal
    experience.

    As to reliability - Orcon UBS isn't reliable, the longest connection
    this month was 6 days, with 2 days being the norm. At least the IP
    address doesn't change, and in fact I rarely even notice the outages
    (although that doesn't make them acceptable).

    The thing is, it may not even be under Orcon's control and may be
    present in other UBS offerings.

    But I'm fairly happy with Orcon and would recommend them, they have
    vastly improved from their low point near the beginning of this year; I
    can even listen to internet radio again, now.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 19, 2005
  14. In article <435541e0$>,
    "Alan Howard" <> wrote:

    >I'm thinking of moving to Orcon, how do you find their USB - is it generally
    >reliable?

    I would avoid any kind of USB for network connections. Stick to Ethernet.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2005