    remember might do the trick.

    Thanks,

    Sue
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Palindr?me wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > System is/was Windows 98 with owner saying it doens't work after he
    > de-fragged the drive. The defrag process used seems to have been
    > deleting the primary partition (?) with fdisk- Guess that is one way to
    > coalesce free space.
    >
    > Haven't come across one of these for a while - in fact, can't remember
    > coming across one of these for real, ever.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to get things back? No backups, naturally. I
    > think I have a copy of "Lost and Found", somewhere (again, not used for
    > a while) which I seem to remember might do the trick.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sue

    Probably too late, but if you recreate the partition exactly as it
    existed before, the data should still be there. I've done this on more
    than one ocassion, delete the partition with fdisk, then recreate it as
    before and not lost a single byte of info. Change anything around and
    all bets are off.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 10, 2004

  3. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Jim Berwick Guest

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?= <> wrote in

    > System is/was Windows 98 with owner saying it doens't work
    > after he de-fragged the drive. The defrag process used seems
    > to have been deleting the primary partition (?) with fdisk-
    > Guess that is one way to coalesce free space.

    Defrag does not mess with the partition tables, either something fucked up
    somewhere, or he fucked himself up and wants you to fix it. Find a utility
    that can rebuild the partition table and his data may still be accessable.
    Jim Berwick, Aug 10, 2004
  4. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    philo Guest

    > Probably too late, but if you recreate the partition exactly as it
    > existed before, the data should still be there. I've done this on more
    > than one ocassion, delete the partition with fdisk, then recreate it as
    > before and not lost a single byte of info. Change anything around and
    > all bets are off.

    that will absolutely *not* work!

    at least not if the system was rebooted
    philo, Aug 10, 2004
  5. philo wrote:

    >>Probably too late, but if you recreate the partition exactly as it
    >>existed before, the data should still be there. I've done this on more
    >>than one ocassion, delete the partition with fdisk, then recreate it as
    >>before and not lost a single byte of info. Change anything around and
    >>all bets are off.
    >>

    > that will absolutely *not* work!
    >
    > at least not if the system was rebooted

    As I said, I've done it a few times, at least with Win98 systems. I know
    the theory is it shouldn't be possible. Yet I have done it and I've had
    at least one other person tell me that it worked for them after deleting
    the partition.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 11, 2004
  6. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    JabberSmith Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?= <> wrote in
    >
    > > System is/was Windows 98 with owner saying it doens't work
    > > after he de-fragged the drive. The defrag process used seems
    > > to have been deleting the primary partition (?) with fdisk-
    > > Guess that is one way to coalesce free space.

    > Defrag does not mess with the partition tables, either something fucked up
    > somewhere, or he fucked himself up and wants you to fix it. Find a

    utility
    > that can rebuild the partition table and his data may still be accessable.

    Try searching for "fdisk /mbr" which might pull a master boot record for the
    primary partition off last successful boot. Depending on what's been done
    with the computer since, it might work.

    Otherwise, try "Ranish Partition Manager" a bootable partition utility that
    can do some amazing stuff once you figure out how to use it.

    Or just tell your pal he's a dummy and reinstall. If there was important
    stuff on it, consider it a lesson about making backups.
    JabberSmith, Aug 11, 2004
  7. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    SgtMinor Guest

    Palindr?me wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > System is/was Windows 98 with owner saying it doens't work
    > after he de-fragged the drive. The defrag process used seems
    > to have been deleting the primary partition (?) with fdisk-
    > Guess that is one way to coalesce free space.
    >
    > Haven't come across one of these for a while - in fact,
    > can't remember coming across one of these for real, ever.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to get things back? No backups,
    > naturally. I think I have a copy of "Lost and Found",
    > somewhere (again, not used for a while) which I seem to
    > remember might do the trick.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sue

    I've had success repairing a messed up MBR with Active@ Partition
    Recovery software:

    http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm

    You can download a free demo, and it will show you what it can recover.
    If you like what you see, download the full version.

    I've heard about but have not used this freeware which is supposed to be
    able to do some of the same:

    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
    SgtMinor, Aug 11, 2004
  8. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    philo Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >
    > >>Probably too late, but if you recreate the partition exactly as it
    > >>existed before, the data should still be there. I've done this on more
    > >>than one ocassion, delete the partition with fdisk, then recreate it as
    > >>before and not lost a single byte of info. Change anything around and
    > >>all bets are off.
    > >>

    > > that will absolutely *not* work!
    > >
    > > at least not if the system was rebooted

    > As I said, I've done it a few times, at least with Win98 systems. I know
    > the theory is it shouldn't be possible. Yet I have done it and I've had
    > at least one other person tell me that it worked for them after deleting
    > the partition.

    No, that will not work

    if you delete your drive using fdisk...although you *can* restore it
    if you have *not* yet rebooted...once you reboot...fdisk cannot bring the
    data back...however a utility such as partition magic 8 (and maybe 7)
    can also undelete a partition and the data
    philo, Aug 11, 2004
  9. Hi, just a final note to say thanks for the suggestions! I
    had wondered about simply re-creating the partition, as
    suggested by Rôgêr - but am eternally fearful of making
    things worse!

    So, I did use "lost and found" (after a lot of time spent
    finding the "lost and found" disks). It brought back just
    about everything - writing it to a spare disk and not
    altering the original. I then tried just recreating the
    partition - without high level formatting the drive, just to
    see. I did end up with directories and files but with weird
    names that appeared to have no relationship with the
    original. I then tried "lost and found" again - and it still
    got back just about everything, as before.

    An interesting exercise! It was good to have a play and
    follow something through - normally, at the 30 mins point, I
    have to concede defeat on the grounds of cost..

    Again, thanks for your ideas,

    Sue

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Aug 15, 2004