uAtx htpc motherboard

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew Lambert, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. Im on the hunt for a motherboard that suits my needs... appears to be
    more difficult then i thought :(

    Specific requirements for the motherboard:
    micro ATX
    digital sound out - optical prefered
    Ether DVI out OR the ability to output video via Component

    If i get a board that has only got DVI, Then i will need to find a DVI
    to Component converter

    As i dont have the amplifier yet to take component and digital audio,
    The board needs to be able to output tv out via composite and just 2
    channel sound.... The new amplifer is on the cards, but im thinking for
    now and making sure its going to work for the future

    My television does not have HDMI and i dont plan on upgrading it. The
    best it can take is component video

    The case that the motherboard is going into is a slimline one, Probbably
    this:
    http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=340881

    Im trying to avoid having to put on any addon cards, If i do have to go
    down that path they would need to be low rising to fit into the case.

    The best i have found so far is the dfi infinity RS482
    It meets all the requirements, BUT unfortunatly its a amd socket 939 -
    With those cpu types now being discontinued... its very hard to find a
    dual core version

    Im hoping to be able to find something with the AM2 socket... I thought
    about going intel, But the power requirements for them are quite high. I
    would prefer to get a cooler cpu. Amd are not only cooler but they are
    cheaper too

    The next best board ive found is an asus board
    http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348650

    Some places say it doesnt have digital audio.. others say it does have
    spdif out (coax digital)... Spefifications say jack sensing spdif -
    reviews say something about onboard spdif, Pictures dont show it though

    Also, From what i can see the component out is avaialable only via a pci
    bracket which does not look to fit in a low rising case

    Does anyone here have any suggestions on other motherboards, Or options
    for the above boards?

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Andrew Lambert

    Steven Ellis Guest

    On Jun 18, 8:48 am, Andrew Lambert <> wrote:
    > Im on the hunt for a motherboard that suits my needs... appears to be
    > more difficult then i thought :(
    >
    > Specific requirements for the motherboard:
    > micro ATX
    > digital sound out - optical prefered
    > Ether DVI out OR the ability to output video via Component
    >
    > If i get a board that has only got DVI, Then i will need to find a DVI
    > to Component converter
    >
    > As i dont have the amplifier yet to take component and digital audio,
    > The board needs to be able to output tv out via composite and just 2
    > channel sound.... The new amplifer is on the cards, but im thinking for
    > now and making sure its going to work for the future
    >
    > My television does not have HDMI and i dont plan on upgrading it. The
    > best it can take is component video
    >
    > The case that the motherboard is going into is a slimline one, Probbably
    > this:http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=340881
    >
    > Im trying to avoid having to put on any addon cards, If i do have to go
    > down that path they would need to be low rising to fit into the case.
    >
    > The best i have found so far is the dfi infinity RS482
    > It meets all the requirements, BUT unfortunatly its a amd socket 939 -
    > With those cpu types now being discontinued... its very hard to find a
    > dual core version
    >
    > Im hoping to be able to find something with the AM2 socket... I thought
    > about going intel, But the power requirements for them are quite high. I
    > would prefer to get a cooler cpu. Amd are not only cooler but they are
    > cheaper too
    >
    > The next best board ive found is an asus boardhttp://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348650
    >
    > Some places say it doesnt have digital audio.. others say it does have
    > spdif out (coax digital)... Spefifications say jack sensing spdif -
    > reviews say something about onboard spdif, Pictures dont show it though
    >
    > Also, From what i can see the component out is avaialable only via a pci
    > bracket which does not look to fit in a low rising case
    >
    > Does anyone here have any suggestions on other motherboards, Or options
    > for the above boards?

    The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
    a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
    the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
    video adaptor as standard.

    These are the boards that are used in myPVR, a MythTV based PVR
    solution from OpenMedia. See http://www.mypvr.co.nz for some details.

    Steven Ellis, Jun 17, 2007

  3. > The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
    > a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
    > the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
    > video adaptor as standard.
    >
    > These are the boards that are used in myPVR, a MythTV based PVR
    > solution from OpenMedia. See http://www.mypvr.co.nz for some details.

    Thanks :)
    This is where i start to get confused
    Asus have two boards:
    M2A-VM
    M2A-VM HDMI

    Specifications state that the HDMI version has component output, But
    doesnt mention it on the non HDMI board..

    Based on reviews and other websites it looks as though both have component..

    Audio wise, Does the motherboard come with the adapter to get digital
    audio?. I dont know much about spdif and the audio options on
    motherboards, All i know is that the amplifier i will be getting will
    have optical. I presume Most amplifers that have optical sound would
    also have coax sound?

    Whats better.. optical or digital. From a listening point of view and a
    cabling point of view

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 17, 2007
  4. Andrew Lambert

    Steven Ellis Guest

    On Jun 18, 9:55 am, Andrew Lambert <> wrote:
    > > The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
    > > a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
    > > the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
    > > video adaptor as standard.

    > > These are the boards that are used in myPVR, a MythTV based PVR
    > > solution from OpenMedia. Seehttp://www.mypvr.co.nzfor some details.

    > Thanks :)
    > This is where i start to get confused
    > Asus have two boards:
    > M2A-VM
    > M2A-VM HDMI
    >
    > Specifications state that the HDMI version has component output, But
    > doesnt mention it on the non HDMI board..

    I haven't used either of those boards. The are AMD/ATI based whereas
    the M2NPV-VM is Nvidia based

    > Based on reviews and other websites it looks as though both have component..
    >
    > Audio wise, Does the motherboard come with the adapter to get digital
    > audio?. I dont know much about spdif and the audio options on
    > motherboards, All i know is that the amplifier i will be getting will
    > have optical. I presume Most amplifers that have optical sound would
    > also have coax sound?

    They don't come with an adaptor, so you need to find a supplier to
    stocks them. Some cases have build in coax adaptors you can use

    > Whats better.. optical or digital. From a listening point of view and a
    > cabling point of view

    The optical is converted off the coax usually when dealing with
    motherboards, so I'd stick with Coax if I could.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Steven Ellis wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 9:55 am, Andrew Lambert <> wrote:
    >>> The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
    >>> a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
    >>> the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
    >>> video adaptor as standard.
    >>> These are the boards that are used in myPVR, a MythTV based PVR
    >>> solution from OpenMedia. Seehttp://www.mypvr.co.nzfor some details.

    >> Thanks :)
    >> This is where i start to get confused
    >> Asus have two boards:
    >> M2A-VM
    >> M2A-VM HDMI
    >>
    >> Specifications state that the HDMI version has component output, But
    >> doesnt mention it on the non HDMI board..

    > I haven't used either of those boards. The are AMD/ATI based whereas
    > the M2NPV-VM is Nvidia based

    Sorry, My fault, The damn model numbers merge into one another after you
    have looked at them too long.. Now i have no idea what research i have
    done actually is correct :(

    Looking at the correct board on the asus site, It looks much better. I
    can see the component video adapter.

    All i need to find now is the correct adaptor for the spdif audio

    > The optical is converted off the coax usually when dealing with
    > motherboards, so I'd stick with Coax if I could.

    Thanks, The amplifier im looking at is a yamaha, current model is
    RX-V2700. However previous models - RX-V2600 and the RX-V2500 both look
    like they will suit my needs also - i have not actualy looked closely
    what the differences are, But i think the main features i require are
    the same

    The 2700 has optical and coax audio inputs:
    OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO IN (OUT) 4(2)
    COAXIAL DIGITAL AUDIO IN (OUT) 3(0)

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 18, 2007
  6. "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message

    >> The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
    >> a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
    >> the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
    >> video adaptor as standard.

    The M2NPV-VM is a great board. I have one + I got the SPDIF
    OPTICALOUT/COXIAL adapter for it as well(only an extra $20). The board comes
    with VGA and DVI-D (which you can use a DVI->HDMI cable if you have HDMI)
    and component out as well. It is fully supportted under linux and works
    great .

    I made a HTPC with

    Athlon X64 4800+
    LC16M case (Quiet)
    M2NPV-VM
    Caviar SE16 320G drive (really quiet)
    2G DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
    Whisper II EP565P power supply (Quiet)
    Zalman CNP AM2 CPU Fan (Quiet)
    Liteon DVD+-RW (the noisist things when its up and runnning.. anyone suggest
    a Quite one)
    WG111 USB Wireless Adapter
    DVI-D->HDMI cable
    SPF Optical/Coaxial adapter
    Optical Cable
    Hauppauge NovaS+ DVB Card

    All for about $1400

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Jun 18, 2007
  7. Andrew Lambert

    Steven Ellis Guest

    On Jun 18, 3:36 pm, "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:
    > "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message

    > >> The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
    > >> a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
    > >> the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
    > >> video adaptor as standard.

    > The M2NPV-VM is a great board. I have one + I got the SPDIF
    > OPTICALOUT/COXIAL adapter for it as well(only an extra $20). The board comes
    > with VGA and DVI-D (which you can use a DVI->HDMI cable if you have HDMI)
    > and component out as well. It is fully supportted under linux and works
    > great .
    >
    > I made a HTPC with
    >
    > Athlon X64 4800+

    CPU overkill :)

    > LC16M case (Quiet)
    > M2NPV-VM
    > Caviar SE16 320G drive (really quiet)
    > 2G DDR2 Dual Channel RAM

    So what theme do you run to use up all of that RAM?

    > Whisper II EP565P power supply (Quiet)
    > Zalman CNP AM2 CPU Fan (Quiet)
    > Liteon DVD+-RW (the noisist things when its up and runnning.. anyone suggest
    > a Quite one)

    You need the CD/DVD speed tweaks in MythTV 0.21.

    > WG111 USB Wireless Adapter
    > DVI-D->HDMI cable
    > SPF Optical/Coaxial adapter
    > Optical Cable
    > Hauppauge NovaS+ DVB Card

    All of this for a single tuner..

    > All for about $1400
    >
    > Thanks

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Jun 18, 2007

  8. >> Optical Cable
    >> Hauppauge NovaS+ DVB Card

    > All of this for a single tuner..

    I am waiting for the HVR-4000 when I can get one (Not got one yet :-( ).
    Also I take Sky from the decoder into the Nova-S composite in (/dev/videoX)
    (resolution is a little low at the moment, so trying to get this working
    better). and I have to make up a IRBlaster so I can change channels
    automatically.

    Also is there anyway to just record raw instead of havnig to encode it to
    MPEG and then decode it to (For Real time Watching)?? so the quality is a
    little better.

    Craig Whitmore, Jun 18, 2007
  9. In message <f546n7$dti$>, Andrew Lambert wrote:

    > Ether DVI out OR the ability to output video via Component
    >
    > If i get a board that has only got DVI, Then i will need to find a DVI
    > to Component converter

    Just a note that DVI allows for either analog or digital, or both: DVI-A is
    analog-only, DVI-D is digital-only, and DVI-I is both.

    You will not be able to convert between DVI-D and (analog) component.

    > My television does not have HDMI and i dont plan on upgrading it. The
    > best it can take is component video

    HDMI was designed to be signal-compatible with DVI-D--all you need is the
    right cable.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 18, 2007
  10. In message <467604f5$>, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > Also is there anyway to just record raw instead of havnig to encode it to
    > MPEG and then decode it to (For Real time Watching)?? so the quality is a
    > little better.

    Probably not. For analog TV, the encoding is probably done in hardware. And
    digital TV is broadcast directly in MPEG, so all you're getting is the raw
    data stream anyway.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 18, 2007
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <f546n7$dti$>, Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >
    >> Ether DVI out OR the ability to output video via Component
    >>
    >> If i get a board that has only got DVI, Then i will need to find a DVI
    >> to Component converter

    > Just a note that DVI allows for either analog or digital, or both: DVI-A is
    > analog-only, DVI-D is digital-only, and DVI-I is both.

    Thanks, I will be sure i get a motherboard with DVI-A or DVI-I if i cant
    use component. However the Asus motherboard does look like a winner at
    the moment

    > You will not be able to convert between DVI-D and (analog) component.
    >
    >> My television does not have HDMI and i dont plan on upgrading it. The
    >> best it can take is component video

    > HDMI was designed to be signal-compatible with DVI-D--all you need is the
    > right cable.

    Because my TV does not have an HDMI input, There is no point doing
    anything with HDMI as i cant upscale from an analouge signal (component)

    To get an amplifer to do what i want, It will probably have hdmi
    capabilitys anyway

    If i had DVI-I - then i could conver to either component video OR HDMI?

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 18, 2007
  12. Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message
    >>> The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
    >>> a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
    >>> the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
    >>> video adaptor as standard.
    >>>

    > The M2NPV-VM is a great board. I have one + I got the SPDIF
    > OPTICALOUT/COXIAL adapter for it as well(only an extra $20). The board comes
    > with VGA and DVI-D (which you can use a DVI->HDMI cable if you have HDMI)
    > and component out as well. It is fully supportted under linux and works
    > great .
    >
    > I made a HTPC with
    >
    > Athlon X64 4800+
    > LC16M case (Quiet)
    > M2NPV-VM
    > Caviar SE16 320G drive (really quiet)
    > 2G DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
    > Whisper II EP565P power supply (Quiet)
    > Zalman CNP AM2 CPU Fan (Quiet)
    > Liteon DVD+-RW (the noisist things when its up and runnning.. anyone suggest
    > a Quite one)
    > WG111 USB Wireless Adapter
    > DVI-D->HDMI cable
    > SPF Optical/Coaxial adapter
    > Optical Cable
    > Hauppauge NovaS+ DVB Card
    >
    > All for about $1400
    >
    > Thanks

    This is quite a similar system to what im putting together, Im currently
    looking at the LC11M case - going for small

    have not decided on cpu yet. It just has to be powerful enough to play HD

    2 gig ram also.. Just to ensure everything stays smooth all the time

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 18, 2007
  13. Andrew Lambert

    sam Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <f546n7$dti$>, Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ether DVI out OR the ability to output video via Component
    >>>
    >>> If i get a board that has only got DVI, Then i will need to find a DVI
    >>> to Component converter

    >> Just a note that DVI allows for either analog or digital, or both:
    >> DVI-A is
    >> analog-only, DVI-D is digital-only, and DVI-I is both.

    > Thanks, I will be sure i get a motherboard with DVI-A or DVI-I if i cant
    > use component. However the Asus motherboard does look like a winner at
    > the moment
    >

    >> You will not be able to convert between DVI-D and (analog) component.
    >>
    >>> My television does not have HDMI and i dont plan on upgrading it. The
    >>> best it can take is component video

    >> HDMI was designed to be signal-compatible with DVI-D--all you need is the
    >> right cable.
    >>

    > Because my TV does not have an HDMI input, There is no point doing
    > anything with HDMI as i cant upscale from an analouge signal (component)
    >
    > To get an amplifer to do what i want, It will probably have hdmi
    > capabilitys anyway
    >
    > If i had DVI-I - then i could conver to either component video OR HDMI?

    It looks like the Asus m2a-vm hdmi has an analogue component output and
    coax digital audio on the pci board with the hdmi connector on it.

    sam, Jun 18, 2007
  14. Andrew Lambert

    J Brockley Guest

    > The next best board ive found is an asus board
    > http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348650
    >
    > Some places say it doesnt have digital audio.. others say it does have
    > spdif out (coax digital)... Spefifications say jack sensing spdif -
    > reviews say something about onboard spdif, Pictures dont show it though
    >
    > Also, From what i can see the component out is avaialable only via a pci
    > bracket which does not look to fit in a low rising case
    >
    > Does anyone here have any suggestions on other motherboards, Or options
    > for the above boards?

    Has spdif but you need to find adapter from somewhere as its just a board
    header..
    Jack sensing just senses when you plug in speakers etc so you can say what
    you plugged in.
    Component is on bracket but I would have though any case would take these,
    maybe just mounted horizontally.
    Also has nice feature of built in dual monitor support.

    J Brockley, Jun 18, 2007
  15. Andrew Lambert

    J Brockley Guest

    "J Brockley" <> wrote in message

    >> The next best board ive found is an asus board
    >> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348650
    >>
    >> Some places say it doesnt have digital audio.. others say it does have
    >> spdif out (coax digital)... Spefifications say jack sensing spdif -
    >> reviews say something about onboard spdif, Pictures dont show it though
    >>
    >> Also, From what i can see the component out is avaialable only via a pci
    >> bracket which does not look to fit in a low rising case
    >>
    >> Does anyone here have any suggestions on other motherboards, Or options
    >> for the above boards?

    > Has spdif but you need to find adapter from somewhere as its just a board
    > header..
    > Jack sensing just senses when you plug in speakers etc so you can say what
    > you plugged in.
    > Component is on bracket but I would have though any case would take these,
    > maybe just mounted horizontally.
    > Also has nice feature of built in dual monitor support.

    Asus S/PDIF Out module $29.70 from Ascent

    J Brockley, Jun 18, 2007

  16. >>

    > Asus S/PDIF Out module $29.70 from Ascent

    Or the same thing from c1com.co.nz for $18.05

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Jun 18, 2007