UAC Virtual PC

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jeff Gaines, Oct 24, 2009.

  1. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I installed my retail copy of Win7 Pro - 64 yesterday and have pretty well
    all my apps installed. I have even got my Canoscan 5200F working with the
    Vista 64 driver.

    I am struggling to get to grips with UAC - I have turned it down one notch
    but I don't want to turn it off. I run backups overnight from a batch file
    which include exporting a branch of the registry:

    CALL D:\Apps\Backups\savexanakey.bat
    which contains one line:
    C:\windows\regedit.exe /e xana.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Woozle

    When I run it I get a UAC prompt, which is not much good if I'm asleep!
    The batch file then calls SmartSync Pro which runs fine and SyncBackSE
    which throws up a UAC prompt.
    Is there any way to add the batch file or the programs to a trusted list
    so I don't get a UAC prompt? I cannot understand why one app runs but
    another gets the prompt.

    I've also installed Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC to go with it. XP Mode
    is fine but the version of Virtual PC it uses won't run alone. So I
    installed Virtual PC (64) from a previous down-load but Win7 won't let it
    run - it is blocked due to compatability issues (it ran OK on the RC). So
    I have lost access to all my Virtual machines for now. Any thoughts on
    this? I wonder if it will run if I un-install XP Mode, I would like XP
    Mode but not if it prevents Virtual PC from running.

    Many thanks :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

    Jeff Gaines, Oct 24, 2009

  2. "Jeff Gaines" <> wrote in message

    > I installed my retail copy of Win7 Pro - 64 yesterday and have pretty well
    > all my apps installed. I have even got my Canoscan 5200F working with the
    > Vista 64 driver.
    >
    > I am struggling to get to grips with UAC - I have turned it down one notch
    > but I don't want to turn it off. I run backups overnight from a batch file
    > which include exporting a branch of the registry:
    >
    > CALL D:\Apps\Backups\savexanakey.bat
    > which contains one line:
    > C:\windows\regedit.exe /e xana.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Woozle
    >
    > When I run it I get a UAC prompt, which is not much good if I'm asleep!
    > The batch file then calls SmartSync Pro which runs fine and SyncBackSE
    > which throws up a UAC prompt.
    > Is there any way to add the batch file or the programs to a trusted list
    > so I don't get a UAC prompt? I cannot understand why one app runs but
    > another gets the prompt.
    >
    > I've also installed Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC to go with it. XP Mode
    > is fine but the version of Virtual PC it uses won't run alone. So I
    > installed Virtual PC (64) from a previous down-load but Win7 won't let it
    > run - it is blocked due to compatability issues (it ran OK on the RC). So
    > I have lost access to all my Virtual machines for now. Any thoughts on
    > this? I wonder if it will run if I un-install XP Mode, I would like XP
    > Mode but not if it prevents Virtual PC from running.
    >
    > Many thanks :)
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    > Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

    Wow! I can see there is going to be a huge amount of problems with
    "VirtualPC" flavors.

    Please be specific as to which ones you are referring to.

    There is VirtualPC 2004

    There is VirtualPC 2007

    There is VirtualPC 2007 SP1

    Then, there is Windows Virtual PC which is for Windows 7. This is the
    version that is meant to run Windows XP Mode. You need a CPU and motherboard
    bios that supports hardware virtualization to run this combination. Do you
    have the necessary hardware?

    So, which version are you trying to run Windows XP Mode within?

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Oct 24, 2009

  3. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 24/10/2009 in message <> Richard
    Urban wrote:

    >Wow! I can see there is going to be a huge amount of problems with
    >"VirtualPC" flavors.

    Am I the first!

    >Please be specific as to which ones you are referring to.
    >
    >There is VirtualPC 2004
    >
    >There is VirtualPC 2007
    >
    >There is VirtualPC 2007 SP1

    That's the one I installed - VirtualPC 2007 SP1 - after I installed XP
    Mode and the Virtual PC file that is on the same page for down-load.

    >Then, there is Windows Virtual PC which is for Windows 7. This is the
    >version that is meant to run Windows XP Mode. You need a CPU and
    >motherboard bios that supports hardware virtualization to run this
    >combination. Do you have the necessary hardware?
    >
    >So, which version are you trying to run Windows XP Mode within?

    I am successfully running Windows XP Mode in the version the XP Mode
    website pointed to:
    Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu

    It's good it has such a descriptive name :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

    Jeff Gaines, Oct 24, 2009
  4. Jeff Gaines

    Carlos Guest

    Jeff,
    You can use Virtual PC for creating other VM's.
    Start, All Programs, Windows Virtual PC.
    Click on Windows Virtual PC.
    This will open a folder, not the application but...
    Click on the menu option "Create Virtual Machine" and a Wizard will open to
    assist you in the creation of a new VM.
    Is that what you were looking for?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 24, 2009
  5. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 24/10/2009 in message
    <> Carlos wrote:

    >Jeff,
    >You can use Virtual PC for creating other VM's.
    >Start, All Programs, Windows Virtual PC.
    >Click on Windows Virtual PC.
    >This will open a folder, not the application but...
    >Click on the menu option "Create Virtual Machine" and a Wizard will open to
    >assist you in the creation of a new VM.
    >Is that what you were looking for?
    >Carlos

    Yes Carlos, thank you :)

    Just tested it with Lemmings in DOS 6.22!

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    Indecision is the key to flexibility

    Jeff Gaines, Oct 24, 2009
  6. Jeff Gaines

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I've also installed Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC to go with it. XP Mode
    > is fine but the version of Virtual PC it uses won't run alone. So I
    > installed Virtual PC (64) from a previous down-load but Win7 won't let it
    > run - it is blocked due to compatability issues (it ran OK on the RC). So
    > I have lost access to all my Virtual machines for now. Any thoughts on
    > this? I wonder if it will run if I un-install XP Mode, I would like XP
    > Mode but not if it prevents Virtual PC from running.

    Concerning VirtualPC, if there are problems to have it installed/run on
    Win7, try VirtualBox (Freeware) with your Virtual disks.

    http://www.virtualbox.com

    It is multiplatform, for both 32/64 bit both hosts and guests.
    ( You need CPU supporting HW virtualization for 64b guests,
    but on the other hand 64guests can run on 32b host )

    VirtualBox can natively use virtual disks from VirtualPC,
    or you can convert it to VDI disk format.

    Personally I use W2K and Win7RC as guests on Vista64 Home Premium.

    --
    Poutnik
    The best depends on how the best is defined.

    Poutnik, Oct 24, 2009
  7. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 24/10/2009 in message <MPG.254d19bec4fb321e989846@127.0.0.1> Poutnik
    wrote:

    >Concerning VirtualPC, if there are problems to have it installed/run on
    >Win7, try VirtualBox (Freeware) with your Virtual disks.
    >
    >http://www.virtualbox.com

    Thanks, Poutnik :)

    It's actually http://www.virtualbox.org if anybody else wants to try.

    It is much slower than Virtual PC running DOS 6.22 - HocusPocus this time
    :)

    Jeff Gaines, Oct 24, 2009
  8. Jeff Gaines

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On 24/10/2009 in message <MPG.254d19bec4fb321e989846@127.0.0.1> Poutnik
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Concerning VirtualPC, if there are problems to have it installed/run on
    > >Win7, try VirtualBox (Freeware) with your Virtual disks.
    > >
    > >http://www.virtualbox.com

    > Thanks, Poutnik :)
    >
    > It's actually http://www.virtualbox.org if anybody else wants to try.
    >
    > It is much slower than Virtual PC running DOS 6.22 - HocusPocus this time
    > :)

    Then it has to be caused by something else.

    In past I used to run w2k under VPC, now under VBox.
    I did not noticed difference.

    Anyway, DosBOX would be much slower,
    being emulation, not virtualization.

    Poutnik, Oct 24, 2009
  9. Jeff Gaines

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <MPG.254d488762de9f05989849@127.0.0.1>,
    says...

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > It is much slower than Virtual PC running DOS 6.22 - HocusPocus

    this time
    > > :)

    There is one issue wilh older systems,
    like Windows 9x, 3.x and DOS,
    thay do not use HALT instruction when idle.

    This is obstacle in virtualization,
    making VirtualBox quite busy,
    executing waiting loops.

    Microsoft, who knows their systems obviously the best,
    could has done in VPX some workarounds for that.

    Poutnik, Oct 24, 2009