U.S. Government Offers Free Cyber Alerts

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by texan@texas,removethisbit,.usa.com, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. By TED BRIDIS
    AP Technology Writer

    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Aiming to increase Internet security, the
    government is now offering Americans free cyber alerts and computer
    advice from the Homeland Security Department.

    Anyone who signs up with the new National Cyber Alert System will
    receive e-mails about major virus outbreaks and other Internet attacks
    as they occur, along with detailed instructions to help computer users
    protect themselves.

    The program, which begins Wednesday, represents an ambitious effort by
    the government to develop a trusted warning system that can help home
    users and technology experts.

    The goal of improving the overall security of the Internet has been
    frustrated by increasingly complex software that can be difficult to
    secure and by hackers learning to launch sophisticated new attacks.

    "There is a clear need for this kind of system to be developed," said
    Amit Yoran, the Bush administration's cyber security chief. "Receiving
    information from the Department of Homeland Security gives people a
    certain level of confidence."

    The announcement comes 11 months after such an Internet warning system
    was described in the National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace, a series
    of proposals endorsed by the Bush administration and technology
    industry to improve online security.

    The alerts will function independently from the Homeland Security
    Department's well known color-coded system, which reflects the
    national threat level.

    The new alert system puts the government in direct competition with
    dozens of companies and organizations that already transmit similar
    cyber warnings, and could renew criticisms about earlier, disjointed
    government efforts that frequently sounded Internet warnings hours or
    even days after major computer attacks and occasionally included
    incorrect information.

    Earlier Internet warnings were distributed by the FBI's National
    Infrastructure Protection Center, which moved to Homeland Security
    when President Bush created the new department.

    Congressional investigators complained in July 2002 that those earlier
    warnings were mostly issued after Internet attacks were long under
    way. They blamed government's inability to analyze imminent Internet
    attacks, fears about raising false alarms and staff shortages.

    Yoran acknowledged the difficult balance between providing accurate
    warnings almost immediately.

    "I'm sure we'll take some kicks in the shins," he said.

    He indicated the government will focus on distributing information as
    quickly as possible, correcting any wrong information as U.S. computer
    investigators learn new details. "In the absence of information, the
    operator community is going to rely on whatever information is out
    there," he said. "It's better to have our voice heard rather than
    letting people operate in the dark."

    The new alert system also sets up potentially serious conflicts with
    leading software companies, including Microsoft Corp., which
    aggressively discourage any public disclosures about new security
    flaws in their products until engineers can study the problems and
    offer repairing software patches for their customers.

    Yoran said the government will aggressively warn consumers about
    vulnerabilities, in some cases revealing threats "above and beyond
    what specific commercial vendors may not wish to disclose."

    "If the disclosure of certain information is deemed in the public
    interest, we'll move forward," he said.

    Researchers who discover new vulnerabilities commonly work closely
    with these companies by agreeing not to reveal details about their
    work until a software patch is available. But some researchers have
    increasingly complained that companies take too long to verify their
    discoveries or deliberately seek to minimize their efforts for
    marketing purposes.

    ---

    On the Net:

    US CERT: www.us-cert.gov
    texan@texas,removethisbit,.usa.com, Jan 28, 2004

  2. texan@texas,removethisbit,.usa.com

    CollectorNZ Guest

    texan@texas wrote:
    > By TED BRIDIS
    > AP Technology Writer
    >
    > WASHINGTON (AP) -- Aiming to increase Internet security, the
    > government is now offering Americans free cyber alerts and computer
    > advice from the Homeland Security Department.
    >
    > Anyone who signs up with the new National Cyber Alert System will
    > receive e-mails about major virus outbreaks and other Internet attacks
    > as they occur, along with detailed instructions to help computer users
    > protect themselves.
    > ....Snip
    > Researchers who discover new vulnerabilities commonly work closely
    > with these companies by agreeing not to reveal details about their
    > work until a software patch is available. But some researchers have
    > increasingly complained that companies take too long to verify their
    > discoveries or deliberately seek to minimize their efforts for
    > marketing purposes.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > On the Net:
    >
    > US CERT: www.us-cert.gov

    I detect an excellent oppourtunity for PHISHING here. Now wheres my rod
    and reel -:)
    CollectorNZ, Jan 28, 2004

  3. texan@texas,removethisbit,.usa.com

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:35:38 -0600, in article
    <>, texan@texas,removethisbit,.usa.com wrote:

    > WASHINGTON (AP) -- Aiming to increase Internet security, the
    > government is now offering Americans free cyber alerts and computer
    > advice from the Homeland Security Department.
    >
    > Anyone who signs up with the new National Cyber Alert System will
    > receive e-mails about major virus outbreaks and other Internet attacks
    > as they occur, along with detailed instructions to help computer users
    > protect themselves.

    I can just imagine it.

    SWEN version 2 will pretend to be a detailed update from the
    National Cyber Alert System.

    --
    Politicians are like diapers:
    they need to be changed often,