    center for $199.00 and think the store is going to just lay
    down and let it go.

    mark_
    mark_digital, Aug 20, 2004

  2. "mark_digital" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Doesn't an advertiser have a commitment to proof read
    or at least ask in writing if the copy they recieved for
    printing is correct? I noticed too that some merchants
    have begun including disclaimers about the props not
    being part of the sale. I can't imagine someone trying to
    buy, for example, a color tv and a solid wood entertainment
    center for $199.00 and think the store is going to just lay
    down and let it go.

    As we move toward an idiot proof society we become more idiotic.
    Charles Schuler, Aug 20, 2004

  3. mark_digital

    Mark M Guest

    Doesn't an advertiser have a commitment to proof read
    or at least ask in writing if the copy they recieved for
    printing is correct? I noticed too that some merchants
    have begun including disclaimers about the props not
    being part of the sale. I can't imagine someone trying to
    buy, for example, a color tv and a solid wood entertainment
    center for $199.00 and think the store is going to just lay
    down and let it go.

    mark_

    ---------
    This is why people hate lawyers.
    We have ambulance-chasers and class-action idiots to thank for the necessity
    these ridiculous CYA tactics.
    Mark M, Aug 20, 2004
  4. mark_digital

    mark_digital Guest

    Doesn't an advertiser have a commitment to proof read
    or at least ask in writing if the copy they recieved for
    printing is correct? I noticed too that some merchants
    have begun including disclaimers about the props not
    being part of the sale. I can't imagine someone trying to
    buy, for example, a color tv and a solid wood entertainment
    center for $199.00 and think the store is going to just lay
    down and let it go.

    mark_

    ---------
    This is why people hate lawyers.
    We have ambulance-chasers and class-action idiots to thank for the necessity
    these ridiculous CYA tactics.
    ----------------------------
    ----------------------------
    ----------------------------
    Thank the American Bar Association. You may recall there was a time
    when lawyers held themselves to a high esteem and did not advertise
    their services. We live in a world where a few like to mess with tradition
    and inturn screw things up. Daytime real life TV courtroom judges reeking
    with hysteria and yelling "shut up" because plaintiffs and defendents talk
    over each other aren't helping the perception of law, order and civility.

    I'm afraid that someday people will sell the rights to their confessional
    and cameras will be allowed in the booths. Sound farfetched? Not if
    money can be made.

    mark_
    mark_digital, Aug 21, 2004
  5. mark_digital

    mark_digital Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message news:...

    As we move toward an idiot proof society we become more idiotic.
    ------------------
    ------------------
    ------------------
    Being dumb and being stupid have had their meanings overlap and
    as a result there's practically no differentiation. But what concerns
    me the most is the legal system is finding the perpetuator of a crime
    a victim too, and victims with rational complaints ar being chastized
    like never before for being or doing what is or was a normal activity.
    Case in point: A man with little or no camera experience saw an ad
    for a camera and liked the price. He didn't know the price advertised
    actually was a four figure number, not three. He brought the merchant
    to court for not honoring the lower price. The merchant pointed to the
    disclaimer about typos. Would you believe the judge actually harrassed
    the plaintiff because he didn't call first to verify the price but instead
    travelled a great distance in person to buy the camera. The plaintiff
    replied he didn't have a reason to believe the price was wrong.
    I happen to agree with the plaintiff because cameras aren't an every
    day item and their prices aren't drilled into our heads. The plaintiff lost his
    case. The judge actually accussed him of playing stupid. Maybe it's
    because the guy is Russian and has been here in the US for two years.
    We have kids graduating from highschool after 12 years of schooling
    and some are as incoherent as they went in.

    mark_
    mark_digital, Aug 21, 2004
  6. mark_digital

    Matt Ion Guest

    Personally, I would side with the judge in this case, not for the plaintiff
    "playing stupid", but for the plaintiff wasting the court's time.

    If the price listed in the ad is not the price listed in the store, one of
    two things have happened: an error has occured that may or may not be the
    store's fault (they may have approved *correct* copy and the newspaper still
    screwed up when they printed it), or it's a bait-and-switch scheme (in which
    a lower-priced, often non-existant item is used to lure in customers, where
    they can then be sold another, higher-priced item).

    If the former is the case... hey, it's a mistake. It happens. Get over it.

    If the latter... report them to the company's head office, or the BBB, or
    even the media.

    But going to COURT over a difference in price between an ad and the store?
    This Russian has seen too much American TV. Yeah, he's learned what the
    American Dream is all about: sue anyone you can for anything you can think
    of and get rich. Yeesh.

    If I was the judge, I'd not only have tossed the whole thing out, but made
    the plaintiff pay all the court costs for wasting the court's time.

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein

    Matt Ion, Aug 21, 2004