    40% lower than that of a typical payday lender."

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 31, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:43:21 -0400, Tony Cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just quoting someone:
    >>
    >> http://www.economist.com/news/finan...urning-social-media-assess-borrowers-stat-oil
    >>
    >> "As statistics accumulate, algorithms get better at spotting
    >> correlations in the data. Applicants who type only in lower-case
    >> letters, or entirely in upper case, are less likely to repay loans,
    >> other factors being equal, says Douglas Merrill, founder of
    >> ZestFinance, an American online lender whose default rate is roughly
    >> 40% lower than that of a typical payday lender."

    > I posted this same article in another NG. An alert person there opined
    > that this is because they are shiftless, which makes a lot of sense.

    I would guess that it is because these mono cased people cannot be arsed to
    follow simple grammatical rules, which spills over to their willingness to
    pay their bills in a timely and regular manner...
    Guest, Apr 1, 2013

  3. <> <> wrote:
    > Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:43:21 -0400, Tony Cooper

    >>> "As statistics accumulate, algorithms get better at spotting
    >>> correlations in the data. Applicants who type only in lower-case
    >>> letters, or entirely in upper case, are less likely to repay loans,
    >>> other factors being equal, says Douglas Merrill, founder of
    >>> ZestFinance, an American online lender whose default rate is roughly
    >>> 40% lower than that of a typical payday lender."

    >> I posted this same article in another NG. An alert person there opined
    >> that this is because they are shiftless, which makes a lot of sense.

    > I would guess that it is because these mono cased people cannot be arsed to
    > follow simple grammatical rules, which spills over to their willingness to
    > pay their bills in a timely and regular manner...

    coincidence != cause & effect

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 1, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 16:31:01 +1300, Eric Stevens
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 23:21:41 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> coincidence != cause & effect
    >>>

    >> Presumably there are statistics.

    > Presumably, Wolfgang meant "correlation is not causation". The (data
    > mining) statistics would only show correlation. But then the financial
    > institutions are only interested in correlation.

    As a lender, I won't care about causation. I don't care why the bloke isn't
    repaying, just that he is likely to not pay with no collateral for me to
    seize is where my interest in him ends...
    Guest, Apr 2, 2013