Typical tech?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob S, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    I hope not.

    An acquaintance (call her B) rang me a few weeks ago after her sister
    gave her a pc. She wanted net access, finally getting a Clear.net dialup
    account. She had no idea how to set it up and I'm too ill to go there at
    the moment, so I advised her to ring Telstraclear and try and get
    someone around to set her up, which they did.

    Monday just gone B brought the pc here as it kept disconnecting. I found
    it full of spyware, viruses and a couple of dialling trojans. There was
    no firewall (no XP service packs installed), no anti-virus, in fact,
    nothing at all loaded to keep out the net nasties.

    I ended up formatting and re-installing. I then loaded SP2, Antivir,
    Ad-aware and Comodo firewall, with printed instructions on keeping
    anti-virus, anti-spyware defs up to date etc.

    B rang me about 30 minutes ago saying TC had just rung her to tell her
    that there were a number of calls to East Timor from her phone, the last
    one on monday morning.

    It's good that TC have put systems in place that recognise unusual toll
    call patterns which should be checked. B told them she didn't know
    anyone in East Timor and she wasn't paying for those calls. I told her
    to stick to her guns on the matter, and if they try pressing the issue,
    mention something along the lines that the TC tech who set her up
    should have at the least advised her to install SP2, activate the
    firewall and install an anti-virus.

    B isn't the brightest spark, and in all honesty she is the ideal target
    for ripping off. The TC tech, unless he is around the same iq, should
    have recognised that and not left her pc wide open to attack. I had
    thought about it myself when she first asked about getting on the net,
    but I was obviously under a misapprehension thinking that a TC tech
    would sort her out. IMO, Telstraclear should shoulder those toll
    charges. Just have to wait and see what here next account looks like.

    </gripemode>
    --

    Rob
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


    Calm down -- it's only ones and zeroes.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Rob S, Jun 15, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:14:54 +1200, Rob S wrote:

    > B isn't the brightest spark, and in all honesty she is the ideal target
    > for ripping off. The TC tech, unless he is around the same iq, should have
    > recognised that and not left her pc wide open to attack. I had thought
    > about it myself when she first asked about getting on the net, but I was
    > obviously under a misapprehension thinking that a TC tech would sort her
    > out. IMO, Telstraclear should shoulder those toll charges. Just have to
    > wait and see what here next account looks like.


    Surely if your aquaintence wants to own a computer then she should be
    sufficently clued up on how to maintain it.

    I think that people like her should not be permitted to own a computer
    unless they can demonstrate competance in operating and maintaining it!

    The fault was hers for not taking control of her request to have a
    computer. She is a prime candidate for LART therapy.


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "You'll have to excuse me — I have a long
    bath and a short dress to get into."
    Jonathan Walker, Jun 15, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rob S

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:14:54 +1200, Rob S <Here@home> exclaimed:

    >I hope not.
    >
    >An acquaintance (call her B) rang me a few weeks ago after her sister
    >gave her a pc. She wanted net access, finally getting a Clear.net dialup
    >account. She had no idea how to set it up and I'm too ill to go there at
    >the moment, so I advised her to ring Telstraclear and try and get
    >someone around to set her up, which they did.
    >
    >Monday just gone B brought the pc here as it kept disconnecting. I found
    >it full of spyware, viruses and a couple of dialling trojans. There was
    >no firewall (no XP service packs installed), no anti-virus, in fact,
    >nothing at all loaded to keep out the net nasties.
    >
    >I ended up formatting and re-installing. I then loaded SP2, Antivir,
    >Ad-aware and Comodo firewall, with printed instructions on keeping
    >anti-virus, anti-spyware defs up to date etc.
    >
    >B rang me about 30 minutes ago saying TC had just rung her to tell her
    >that there were a number of calls to East Timor from her phone, the last
    >one on monday morning.
    >
    >It's good that TC have put systems in place that recognise unusual toll
    >call patterns which should be checked. B told them she didn't know
    >anyone in East Timor and she wasn't paying for those calls. I told her
    >to stick to her guns on the matter, and if they try pressing the issue,
    > mention something along the lines that the TC tech who set her up
    >should have at the least advised her to install SP2, activate the
    >firewall and install an anti-virus.
    >
    >B isn't the brightest spark, and in all honesty she is the ideal target
    >for ripping off. The TC tech, unless he is around the same iq, should
    >have recognised that and not left her pc wide open to attack. I had
    >thought about it myself when she first asked about getting on the net,
    >but I was obviously under a misapprehension thinking that a TC tech
    >would sort her out. IMO, Telstraclear should shoulder those toll
    >charges. Just have to wait and see what here next account looks like.
    >
    ></gripemode>


    To a telecomms provider gave her free support on setting up a dialup,
    and because they didn't recognise other problems over the phone, they
    should cop the cost?

    The only outcome is for TC to no longer provide free support.

    Maybe she should wake up and learn to take responsibility for her own
    computer rather than looking for others to blame?
    Fred Dagg, Jun 15, 2007
    #3
  4. In message <>, Rob S wrote:

    > She wanted net access, finally getting a Clear.net dialup
    > account.


    If all she wanted was basic net access, then she should not be running
    Microsoft Windows.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 16, 2007
    #4
  5. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Rob S wrote:
    >
    >> She wanted net access, finally getting a Clear.net dialup
    >> account.

    >
    > If all she wanted was basic net access, then she should not be running
    > Microsoft Windows.

    Oh, I agree, but as I said, she's not what you would call bright. She
    has already done 4 computer familiarization courses using in Windows (I
    think they were all the same course) and there was no way I was going to
    install a better os on her machine. In her eyes I would be responsible
    for showing her how to use it, and I doubt there is enough time left in
    my life to get her to a reasonable level of competence. This is a woman
    who calls her pc a modem, and stares blankly at you when you ask her to
    right click.
    When she first signed up for her net account, she rang me complaining
    that nothing was happening 30 minutes after signing up (over the phone).
    I said it may take more than 30 minutes for the account to be activated,
    and had she plugged her modem into her phone line and had she set up
    internet connection on her pc. Her complete bafflement prompted me to
    tell her to ring TC and get a technician around to set her up.

    Unfortunately she is now ringing me every day with a query. Today's
    involved not getting music when she puts a cd into the drive. Of course
    she had no pc speakers and had not run a cable from her sound card to
    her stereo. I'm seriously thinking of changing my phone number.
    --

    Rob
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


    Alcohol and calculus don't mix - PLEASE don't drink and derive.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Rob S, Jun 16, 2007
    #5
  6. Rob S

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:36:42 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >In message <>, Rob S wrote:
    >
    >> She wanted net access, finally getting a Clear.net dialup
    >> account.

    >
    >If all she wanted was basic net access, then she should not be running
    >Microsoft Windows.


    Meanwhile, back in the real world...
    Fred Dagg, Jun 17, 2007
    #6
  7. Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:36:42 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> exclaimed:
    >
    > >In message <>, Rob S wrote:
    > >
    > >> She wanted net access, finally getting a Clear.net dialup
    > >> account.

    > >
    > >If all she wanted was basic net access, then she should not be running
    > >Microsoft Windows.

    >
    > Meanwhile, back in the real world...


    ....where the sheep run the world's most insecure OS and then wonder why
    things go wrong...
    --
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jun 17, 2007
    #7
  8. Rob S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:36:42 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > > <_zealand> exclaimed:
    > >
    > > > In message <>, Rob S wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > She wanted net access, finally getting a Clear.net dialup
    > > > > account.
    > > >
    > > > If all she wanted was basic net access, then she should not be
    > > > running Microsoft Windows.

    > >
    > > Meanwhile, back in the real world...

    >
    > ...where the sheep run the world's most insecure OS and then wonder
    > why things go wrong...


    Hehee! Careful Jamie, you're stepping close to the "Linux Zealot" line
    there. Hate to have to add you to my killfile too. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jun 18, 2007
    #8
  9. ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:36:42 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > > > <_zealand> exclaimed:
    > > >
    > > > > In message <>, Rob S wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > > She wanted net access, finally getting a Clear.net dialup
    > > > > > account.
    > > > >
    > > > > If all she wanted was basic net access, then she should not be
    > > > > running Microsoft Windows.
    > > >
    > > > Meanwhile, back in the real world...

    > >
    > > ...where the sheep run the world's most insecure OS and then wonder
    > > why things go wrong...

    >
    > Hehee! Careful Jamie, you're stepping close to the "Linux Zealot" line
    > there. Hate to have to add you to my killfile too. ;-)


    Meh :-D I just dislike Windows. Though I don't care what what other
    people use so long as they don't complain about it to me or expect me to
    fix it, heh. The trouble is they so frequently do...

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jun 18, 2007
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Chris

    Slow 54Mbps G network - what are typical speeds?

    Chris, Jun 29, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    10,232
    Ron Bandes
    Jun 30, 2004
  2. Skybuck Flying
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    4,809
    Skybuck Flying
    Jan 19, 2006
  3. Brian

    typical coast to coast drive time?

    Brian, Jul 22, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    1,486
  4. Bishoop

    Typical upload speed caps

    Bishoop, May 12, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    639
    New Wet Kojak
    May 12, 2004
  5. Malcolm

    Re: Typical tech?

    Malcolm, Jun 18, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    279
    Nicolaas Hawkins
    Jun 19, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page