    what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like
    to be the universe.
    - origin unknown

    thanatoid, Jun 30, 2010

  2. thanatoid

    Mike Easter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
    > two other separate partitions?

    Not with MS's boot manager.

    > I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
    > - different - XP install on another partition.
    >
    > It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.

    I would use GAG http://gag.sourceforge.net/ <q> Allows boot of up to 9
    different operating systems. - It can boot operating systems installed
    in primary and extended partitions on any available hard disk. </q>

    I'm less familiar with using grub on such a MS triple - I've used grub
    with 3-5 OS but only 1 Win in 1st place + multiple linuxes on various
    extendeds.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 30, 2010

  3. thanatoid

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:55:08 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    >Hi gang,
    >
    >Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
    >two other separate partitions?
    >
    >I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
    >- different - XP install on another partition.
    >
    >It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.
    >
    >Any comments?

    I have XP on 2 separate hard drives on the same computer. I guess you
    could try it on a separate partition, don't know. I can boot either if
    there is a problem by going to bios and changing boot order. Hmm can
    that be done on partitions!!!

    joevan, Jun 30, 2010
  4. thanatoid

    Mike Easter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
    > two other separate partitions?

    Ha! You are being 'dragged' (dragging yourself) into the 21st century
    of OSes.

    98se intro 1999
    XP intro 2001

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 30, 2010
  5. thanatoid

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:55:08 +0000, thanatoid ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > Hi gang,
    >
    > Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on two
    > other separate partitions?
    >
    > I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second -
    > different - XP install on another partition.
    >
    > It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.
    >
    > Any comments?

    Google Grub

    Meat Plow, Jun 30, 2010
  6. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I would use GAG http://gag.sourceforge.net/ <q> Allows
    > boot of up to 9 different operating systems. - It can boot
    > operating systems installed in primary and extended
    > partitions on any available hard disk. </q>
    >
    > I'm less familiar with using grub on such a MS triple -
    > I've used grub with 3-5 OS but only 1 Win in 1st place +
    > multiple linuxes on various extendeds.

    Grub freaks me out for some reason - I'll check out GAG. Thanks.

    --
    Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us

    thanatoid, Jul 1, 2010
  7. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:55:08 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi gang,
    >>
    >>Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
    >>installations on two other separate partitions?
    >>
    >>I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a
    >>second - different - XP install on another partition.
    >>
    >>It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the
    >>job.
    >>
    >>Any comments?

    > I have XP on 2 separate hard drives on the same computer.
    > I guess you could try it on a separate partition, don't
    > know. I can boot either if there is a problem by going to
    > bios and changing boot order. Hmm can that be done on
    > partitions!!!

    No, just HD 1 or 2 or whatever... And I only have space for 1 HD
    in my SFF machine. Thanks.

    thanatoid, Jul 1, 2010
  8. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
    >> installations on two other separate partitions?

    > Ha! You are being 'dragged' (dragging yourself) into the
    > 21st century of OSes.
    >
    > 98se intro 1999
    > XP intro 2001

    Well, it was always inevitable... Frankly, I just wish computers
    would go away, but that's not going to happen... The sys
    resources drain in 98SELite is becoming quite a serious problem
    now that people have gone absolutely insane with web site
    design... And more and more modern web sites do not work with
    OB1... Sigh... So I was /thinking/ of trying a TinyXP install
    for the web... And keeping a FULL XP install for the 2
    programs/hardware I am forced to use it for...
    Sigh (again)...

    thanatoid, Jul 1, 2010
  9. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "ChairMan" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I installed it twice on the same drive, in 2 different
    > folders. Was having issues and tried a repair and it asked
    > me if I wanted to install over the existing folder or to a
    > new folder. I thought WTF, install to a new folder, copied
    > my system32 folder over into the 1st install folder and
    > VOILA, had both and didn't lose any info. So to answer your
    > ?, yes<g.>

    Hmmmmm. To be quite honest, I find this hard to believe. But
    anything is possible.
    We'll see if anyone else comments on your setup.

    Oh, how I miss the days of ONE idiot box!

    thanatoid, Jul 1, 2010
  10. thanatoid

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:00:10 +0000, thanatoid ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > Mike Easter <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> I would use GAG http://gag.sourceforge.net/ <q> Allows boot of up to 9
    >> different operating systems. - It can boot operating systems installed
    >> in primary and extended partitions on any available hard disk. </q>
    >>
    >> I'm less familiar with using grub on such a MS triple - I've used grub
    >> with 3-5 OS but only 1 Win in 1st place + multiple linuxes on various
    >> extendeds.

    > Grub freaks me out for some reason - I'll check out GAG. Thanks.

    I use grub every day without fail. Been doing so for years. It's a
    fucking bootloader for ****'s sake how could that freak anyone out.

    Meat Plow, Jul 1, 2010
  11. thanatoid

    Mike Easter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Ha! You are being 'dragged' (dragging yourself) into the
    >> 21st century of OSes.

    > So I was /thinking/ of trying a TinyXP install
    > for the web...

    I'm a great big fan of TinyXP. Probably some of the people who have a
    legitimate v. of XP factory installed by HP/Compaq/Dell should blast it
    off and replace it with Tiny which isn't infested with all that bloatware.

    There's also a Tiny7.

    eXperience (the Tiny man) sez "I have used this modded OS for a few days
    and it seems every bit as fast as Windows XP. If you have always wanted
    to use Vista, but were holding out for Windows 7 - its worth it! This
    slimmed edition boots up fast, shuts down fast, opens applications fast,
    even VMware v5.5 runs fast on it once its started up."

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 1, 2010
  12. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> Mike Easter

    <SNIP>

    >> So I was /thinking/ of trying a TinyXP install
    >> for the web...

    > I'm a great big fan of TinyXP. Probably some of the people
    > who have a legitimate v. of XP factory installed by
    > HP/Compaq/Dell should blast it off and replace it with Tiny
    > which isn't infested with all that bloatware.

    And, as you know, runs like a speed demon even with 256MB of
    RAM. (That's all I had when I first tried it. I have 1GB
    installed now.)

    > There's also a Tiny7.

    Didn't know that, but I have yet to see a SINGLE specific reason
    given ANYWHERE for using Vista or 7.

    I will grudgingly admit there were some good reasons for moving
    to XP (with a hefty attached price of insane design, constant
    frustrations, etc.), but I do not see ANY reason for the 2
    versions that followed. And I hear they're hard at work to make
    Win8 more like using Macs, especially the portable ones. Sigh.

    > eXperience (the Tiny man) sez "I have used this modded OS
    > for a few days and it seems every bit as fast as Windows
    > XP. If you have always wanted to use Vista, but were
    > holding out for Windows 7 - its worth it! This slimmed
    > edition boots up fast, shuts down fast, opens applications
    > fast, even VMware v5.5 runs fast on it once its started
    > up."

    I don't doubt it - the guy is quite brilliant - but, as above.

    thanatoid, Jul 1, 2010
  13. thanatoid

    dadiOH Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Hi gang,
    >
    > Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
    > two other separate partitions?
    >
    > I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
    > - different - XP install on another partition.
    >
    > It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.
    >
    > Any comments?

    Yes, you can have 98 SE and two - or three or four or 24 - XP installs.

    When you run the XP set up it will identify previous installs and potential
    drives where you *can* install. Just select the drive you want.

    The new XP install will modify boot.ini all by itself making the new XP the
    default. You can change the default if you wiss yourself, manually. I'd
    also suggest changing the name of the install - the part in quotes - t avoid
    confusion...something like "XP #2".

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jul 1, 2010
  14. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Yes, you can have 98 SE and two - or three or four or 24 -
    > XP installs.
    >
    > When you run the XP set up it will identify previous
    > installs and potential drives where you *can* install.
    > Just select the drive you want.
    >
    > The new XP install will modify boot.ini all by itself
    > making the new XP the default. You can change the default
    > if you wiss yourself, manually. I'd also suggest changing
    > the name of the install - the part in quotes - t avoid
    > confusion...something like "XP #2".

    Thank you SO much... I know you well enough to know that THIS is
    the correct information...

    thanatoid, Jul 1, 2010
  15. thanatoid

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 21:55:35 +0000, thanatoid ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > "dadiOH" <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Yes, you can have 98 SE and two - or three or four or 24 - XP installs.
    >>
    >> When you run the XP set up it will identify previous installs and
    >> potential drives where you *can* install. Just select the drive you
    >> want.
    >>
    >> The new XP install will modify boot.ini all by itself making the new XP
    >> the default. You can change the default if you wiss yourself,
    >> manually. I'd also suggest changing the name of the install - the part
    >> in quotes - t avoid confusion...something like "XP #2".

    > Thank you SO much... I know you well enough to know that THIS is the
    > correct information...

    Don't forget to partition your drives into 48 chunks.

    Meat Plow, Jul 2, 2010
  16. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "ChairMan" <> wrote in

    > In news:Xns9DA8AC34839DAthanexit@81.169.183.62,
    > thanatoid <>spewed forth:
    >> "dadiOH" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >>> Yes, you can have 98 SE and two - or three or four or 24
    >>> - XP installs.

    <SNIP>

    > I told ya .........pfffffhhhhtt<g>

    Actually you and I are talking about different things. You
    REINSTALLED XP on the SAME partition in a different directory. I
    have done that with other versions and yes it asks you that
    question and it can be done - but it not really a /different/
    install, it's a reinstall, and once you copy anything from one
    to the other, well, it just all gets to be a huge mess.

    I want to have a COMPLETELY different (as in *full* /and/
    *TinyXP* on TWO ***SEPARATE*** PARTITIONS), and boot into one
    /or/ the other - or into 98SELite.

    thanatoid, Jul 2, 2010
  17. thanatoid

    dadiOH Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "ChairMan" <> wrote in
    >
    >> In news:Xns9DA8AC34839DAthanexit@81.169.183.62,
    >> thanatoid <>spewed forth:
    >>> "dadiOH" <> wrote in
    >>>
    >>> <SNIP>

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> I told ya .........pfffffhhhhtt<g>

    > Actually you and I are talking about different things. You
    > REINSTALLED XP on the SAME partition in a different directory. I
    > have done that with other versions and yes it asks you that
    > question and it can be done - but it not really a /different/
    > install, it's a reinstall, and once you copy anything from one
    > to the other, well, it just all gets to be a huge mess.
    >
    > I want to have a COMPLETELY different (as in *full* /and/
    > *TinyXP* on TWO ***SEPARATE*** PARTITIONS), and boot into one
    > /or/ the other - or into 98SELite.

    Just keep in mind that they are, indeed, separate. When you boot into
    either it has no knowledge or interest in the other and each has its own
    registry.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jul 2, 2010
  18. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "ChairMan" <> wrote in

    > yes and no
    > it's a different install and gives me the option to boot to
    > it at start up just like dadioh said.

    OK, THAT surprises me.

    > I couldn't boot to my original install and knew from
    > previous problems that the cause was in the system32
    > folder, that's why I did a new install and copied the
    > system 32 folder over. After I did so, my 1st install would
    > finally boot.

    OK, THAT I understand. But it was still the same original
    install with all/most the settings, and I want a TOTALLY
    different one.

    > Your question was can you have 2 XPs on the same box

    I specifically used the term /partition/ - it would never even
    OCCUR to me that two different Win installs (let alone with the
    option to boot into one or the other was possible) on ONE
    partition. Still, since you claim it to be so, I don't have any
    reason to disbelieve you. XP is weird as hell and that's just
    one more aspect of it.

    But I specifically want them on two diff. partitions, and
    different (full and TinyXP).

    > said yes and that you can even have it on the same
    > partition. No matter, though. I don't blame ya for not
    > taking my word for it.

    Well, after a while, like a few years of living, or 3 days in a
    Usenet NG, you learn not to trust ANYTHING or ANYBODY.

    > I don't claim to know half of what a
    > lot of people here know and don't offer advice frequently,
    > but I did know the answer to this one this time
    > So the pfffffhhhhtt stands<g>

    OK, accepted.

    thanatoid, Jul 3, 2010
  19. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Just keep in mind that they are, indeed, separate. When
    > you boot into either it has no knowledge or interest in the
    > other and each has its own registry.

    You are joking! (Just kidding.) That is INSANE. Then again, I
    knew from the first look at processes running and the registry
    that XP would always be incomprehensible to me.

    But I /want/ two diff. partitions so it doesn't matter.

    thanatoid, Jul 3, 2010
  20. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Use a stand-alone boot manager or you'll be fighting with
    > windows shitty ntldr thing and boot.ini crap.
    > GRUB or LILO could do it or that Geb thing all the kewl
    > kids are talking about.

    I will check them out. As you may know, it takes a LONG time to
    get around to things in a thanatoid universe...

    > Why the **** anyone would want to use windows is beyond
    > me...

    I don't WANT to, I have 20 years with it and I am /much/ dumber
    than I was when I started, so...

    But someday, I hopr to go Linux. If I can manage it. Who knows,
    maybe by then soneone will actually write a decent OS that is
    not largely based on 70-80's code.

    thanatoid, Jul 3, 2010