    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/29/creative-driver-debacle>
    over Creative protecting its copyrights in its own software. So much for
    customers being loyal to the company, I suppose...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Puddle <> wrote in news::

    > I think Creative should have let him do it, the bad publicity will do
    > them more damage than some people hanging onto old cards in my opinion.

    People who have old hardware try to squeeze performance from them, if the
    same chipset is the same but different then someone will find out why.

    I just don't understand why creative just didn't hire the guy to make the
    next set of drivers...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 31, 2008

  3. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > This is were I think there is a huge difference between legally and
    > morally...legally he maybe in the wrong, morally I think he had every
    > right.

    Bit of a Robin Hood attitude, isn't it?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > Puddle wrote:
    >> As for Creative, well, to deliberately cripple drivers to try and
    >> force people into buying newer soundcards is pretty damn low.

    > yes but not unknown...I wont be buying creative again and they have
    > found me a loyal supporter of their hardware over the years.

    Ditto here. From my first Vibra 16 (?) through AWE32, another PCI card
    (something 128? It's in one of my machines but Windows doesn't tell me the
    model, I must have used XP's drivers) to the Live! 24bit I have now, I've
    always bought Creative.

    No more.

    > The reality is they are execs who dont understand how enthusiasts
    > think. Creative effectively has a monopoly and execs think they can
    > bank on the $ from that while delivering shoddy hardware and
    > software.....all they do is drive the users who are prepared to pay
    > away to on-board sound....

    I'm going to stick with on-board from now on and I hope Creative cop a lot
    of damage from this deliberate crippling of their own products.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Apr 1, 2008
  5. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, thingy did write:
    >>
    >>> This is were I think there is a huge difference between legally and
    >>> morally...legally he maybe in the wrong, morally I think he had every
    >>> right.

    >> Bit of a Robin Hood attitude, isn't it?

    > and as in Robin Hood if Prince John acts immorally and creates his own
    > laws to make his immoral behavior legal it does not make it moral.

    I was thinking of the "rob the rich to give to the poor" part.

    > What about Linux or OSS drivers? if they are reverse engineered and give
    > full functionality of the hardware you have purchased is that illegal?
    > uh no.

    Reverse-engineering doesn't violate any laws. Copyright violation does.

    > I have not read what he did, so it depends on what he did...looks like
    > he cobbled together a set of already binary drivers and packages to give
    > full functionality. I am surprised this is "illegal" all he has done is
    > supplied a ready assembled collection? no biggee then.

    He did some unauthorized patches to Creative's code. And also asked for
    material compensation for his work.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    -= KROGG =-

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    There's the old field engineer creedo, "If it's not nailed down, it's mine". That ancient wisdom has served me well for decades.8)
    -= KROGG =-, Apr 12, 2008