    overlapping. There must be a setting or something I am missing and I would
    deeply appreciate any hints to get this up and running.
    Thanks.
    =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=, Feb 14, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    Lem Guest

    Poppa Earl wrote:

    > OK, I have asked for help here before and it has been very helpful and I feel
    > like I'm getting closer to the ultimate resolution. Here is the setup and
    > what I want to do. I have a Netgear wireless router in the basement which has
    > all the household computers networked. I inherited an HP laserjet 4000N which
    > I wanted to put in a central location away from any computers, off in a
    > closet. The printer has an ethernet port and I have a spare wireless Motorola
    > 850G router. My plan is to configure the router and plug the printer into it
    > and use it as a network printer. I have configured the second router to the
    > point that I can remotely access it's configuration form any computer in the
    > network as long as it is pjysically connected to the primary router. If I
    > disconnect it form the primary router it is no longer accessible. I have the
    > DHCP disabled as someone suggested earlier and the wireless channels are not
    > overlapping. There must be a setting or something I am missing and I would
    > deeply appreciate any hints to get this up and running.
    > Thanks.

    How do you expect wireless (i.e. radio) communication between two devices to work
    when they are set to different ("not overlapping") channels? You wouldn't expect
    to hear Fox News if you were tuned to WCBS would you?

    And what you are trying to do will take more than just being able to remotely
    access the second router's configuration pages. As I suggested last week, the
    first thing I would try is to carry the 4000n (yes, I know it's heavy) to the
    basement, plug it into an available ethernet port on your Netgear router, and see
    if you can print to it. If you can't print to it when it's physically connected
    to the primary router, you're just wasting your time attempting to set up a
    bridge to the WR850, assuming that's possible (which I think it may be).

    Good luck.
    Lem, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Hi

    I am not familiar with your Motorola Router, but in order to be able to
    connect to the Netgear the Motorola has to be configured as a Client (or WDS
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ). Very few Wireless Routers can
    be configured in such way, might be that you would find the answer in the
    Motorola manual.

    Otherwise, you can plug the HP directly to the Netgear, or get a Game Box
    Wireless card, and plug it to the Printer, then give the Motorola as a gift
    to a needy person.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 15, 2006