Two Windows installations on the same partition

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EAgle, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    Ok before you start screaming not to do this hear me out. This is what I
    want to do, I have a Windows 2000 Installation on a partition on my laptop,
    I want to install Windows XP on this same partition while keeping my W2K
    installation as well (I have to use the W2K OS once in a while). Obviously
    simply installing one on top of the other will break one of the
    installations.
    What if,
    I either rename or move into a compressed file, the "Program Files"
    directory and the Windows directory from the W2K installation, install XP
    and continue to use XP until I need my 2K OS. Then I rename or compress the
    "Program Files" and Windows folders for the XP installation and uncompress
    the W2K ones. Will this work?

    Also this is NOT the boot partition (There is a second copy of XP running on
    the boot partition), I will use the second copy of XP to do the file
    renaming and compressing.

    Will this work? have I missed anything? do either of the OS's install
    anything onto the Boot Sector of the install partition rather than just the
    MBR? if so it is possible to backup and restore this as well?

    Just giving this a though, comments? Is there a way to do this in a
    different way? Keep just 2 partitions but have 3 windows OSs ?
    EAgle, Mar 6, 2004

  2. EAgle

    BRIAN Guest

    get another computer
    BRIAN, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Nathan Mercer, Mar 6, 2004
  4. EAgle

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, Mar 6, 2004
  5. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8C-3E10-4C54-BCD5-ADC1E780715F&displaylang=en

    > Or VMWare:
    >
    > http://www.vmware.com/landing/ws4_home.html

    Yes I have tried VMWare in the past but wasn't too impressed with it. But
    that was a long long time ago so might give it a shot again.
    EAgle, Mar 6, 2004
  6. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "BRIAN" <> wrote in message
    > get another computer

    Yes if it was a desktop then I could, Its my laptop and I need to used it at
    different locations and I need all 3 OS's on it. I already work with 3
    desktops so thats not the solution here. Dont want to be carrying around
    multiple laptops.
    EAgle, Mar 6, 2004
  7. EAgle

    BRIAN Guest

    If you need 3 desktops so bad then make the BIG switch to LINUX.,
    BRIAN, Mar 6, 2004
  8. EAgle

    Nik Coughin Guest

    EAgle wrote:
    > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>> "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Use Virtual PC
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/virtualpc

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8C-3E10-4C54-BCD5-ADC1E780715F&displaylang=en

    >> Or VMWare:
    >>
    >> http://www.vmware.com/landing/ws4_home.html
    >>

    > Yes I have tried VMWare in the past but wasn't too impressed with it.
    > But that was a long long time ago so might give it a shot again.

    I use it at the moment and it works perfectly. I have Win XP on my laptop
    and Win2k running inside that.
    Nik Coughin, Mar 6, 2004
  9. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "BRIAN" <> wrote in message
    > If you need 3 desktops so bad then make the BIG switch to LINUX.,

    I already use linux, being using it for a long time. You haven't got my
    question right. Its not that I need 3 desktops, its that i need 3 Windows
    Os's running on my machine, and I can't have more than 2 partitions.. thats
    the requirement. Linux is not a solution that fits all problems as some
    linux users in this group seems to think.
    EAgle, Mar 7, 2004
  10. EAgle

    > EAgle wrote:
    > > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8C-3E10-4C54-BCD5-ADC1E780715F&displaylang=en

    > >> Or VMWare:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.vmware.com/landing/ws4_home.html
    > >>

    > > Yes I have tried VMWare in the past but wasn't too impressed with it.
    > > But that was a long long time ago so might give it a shot again.

    > I use it at the moment and it works perfectly. I have Win XP on my laptop
    > and Win2k running inside that.

    Hmm just another qn on vmware, although it lets you run simultaneous OS's
    does it actually let you have installations of more than one OS on a given
    Partition?? I don't think the old version allowed you to do that, not sure
    about the new ones?
    EAgle, Mar 7, 2004
  11. EAgle

    mcfly Guest

    EAgle <> wrote in message

    > "BRIAN" <> wrote in message
    > > If you need 3 desktops so bad then make the BIG switch to LINUX.,
    > >

    > I already use linux, being using it for a long time. You haven't got my
    > question right. Its not that I need 3 desktops, its that i need 3 Windows
    > Os's running on my machine, and I can't have more than 2 partitions..

    thats
    > the requirement. Linux is not a solution that fits all problems as some
    > linux users in this group seems to think.

    A touch oversensitive
    Cut down on the caffiene perhaps ?
    mcfly, Mar 7, 2004
  12. EAgle

    Nik Coughin Guest

    EAgle wrote:
    > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> EAgle wrote:
    >>> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8C-3E10-4C54-BCD5-ADC1E780715F&displaylang=en

    >>> Yes I have tried VMWare in the past but wasn't too impressed with
    >>> it. But that was a long long time ago so might give it a shot again.

    >> I use it at the moment and it works perfectly. I have Win XP on my
    >> laptop and Win2k running inside that.
    >>

    > Hmm just another qn on vmware, although it lets you run simultaneous
    > OS's does it actually let you have installations of more than one OS
    > on a given Partition?? I don't think the old version allowed you to
    > do that, not sure about the new ones?

    The installations exist as files under the host OS. For example, under my
    XP install I have C:\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\Windows 2000\ and
    C:\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\Windows 3.11. 3.11 just for nostalgia's
    sake, despite the fact that I hated it at the time :p

    VMWare runs the child OS in a window inside the parent OS. You can even
    drag and drop files between them, copy and paste etc. It's possible to put
    the child OS into fullscreen mode also.

    You can also run Linux under VMWare, indeed any OS that runs on an x86.

    The number of installations is only limited by the amount of free space on
    the host drive. You could have multiple copies of one OS with different
    configurations if you liked.

    PS

    I'm not a salesman for VMWare, but maybe I should be :p I just really like
    it.
    Nik Coughin, Mar 7, 2004
  13. EAgle

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:54:10 +1300, EAgle wrote:

    > and I can't have more than 2 partitions..

    Why?
    Gordon, Mar 7, 2004
  14. EAgle

    > EAgle wrote:
    > > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8C-3E10-4C54-BCD5-ADC1E780715F&displaylang=en

    > >> I use it at the moment and it works perfectly. I have Win XP on my
    > >> laptop and Win2k running inside that.
    > >>

    > > Hmm just another qn on vmware, although it lets you run simultaneous
    > > OS's does it actually let you have installations of more than one OS
    > > on a given Partition?? I don't think the old version allowed you to
    > > do that, not sure about the new ones?

    > The installations exist as files under the host OS. For example, under my
    > XP install I have C:\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\Windows 2000\ and
    > C:\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\Windows 3.11. 3.11 just for

    nostalgia's
    > sake, despite the fact that I hated it at the time :p
    >
    > VMWare runs the child OS in a window inside the parent OS. You can even
    > drag and drop files between them, copy and paste etc. It's possible to

    put
    > the child OS into fullscreen mode also.
    >
    > You can also run Linux under VMWare, indeed any OS that runs on an x86.
    >
    > The number of installations is only limited by the amount of free space on
    > the host drive. You could have multiple copies of one OS with different
    > configurations if you liked.
    >
    > PS
    >
    > I'm not a salesman for VMWare, but maybe I should be :p I just really

    like
    > it.

    sweet, sounds like a perfect solutions then, I'll give their trial a try and
    see if it works ok, Thanks for the info
    EAgle, Mar 7, 2004
  15. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:54:10 +1300, EAgle wrote:
    >
    > > and I can't have more than 2 partitions..

    > Why?

    Well I use one of the OS's for Video editing, heaps of it and my working
    file size is approx 15Gb per video. My laptop has a 40Gb Harddrive which is
    split into 20Gb partitions and I cant make them any smaller.(OS + other apps
    takeup close to 5Gb)
    EAgle, Mar 7, 2004
  16. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "mcfly" <> wrote in message news:404a836d$...

    > EAgle <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "BRIAN" <> wrote in message
    > > > If you need 3 desktops so bad then make the BIG switch to LINUX.,
    > > >

    > > I already use linux, being using it for a long time. You haven't got my
    > > question right. Its not that I need 3 desktops, its that i need 3

    Windows
    > > Os's running on my machine, and I can't have more than 2 partitions..

    > thats
    > > the requirement. Linux is not a solution that fits all problems as some
    > > linux users in this group seems to think.
    > >

    > A touch oversensitive
    > Cut down on the caffiene perhaps ?

    Well its just that most of the time the reply ppl give when someone asks a
    question about Windows is to switch to Linux, I have nothing against it, (I
    mean I wouldn't be using it otherwise) but its not always helpful. To be
    totally honest, I only use Linux for some of my software development work
    and mainly for running server, I still prefer windows as my personal
    workstation. Linux is very powerful as a server but as a personal
    workstation I think its still got a few more years to go. Anyway coming back
    to the point I think I really should cut down on the caffeine.. I think I've
    been ranting for too long..
    EAgle, Mar 7, 2004