    The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has any
    bearing on the implementation.

    --

    Martin Evans, Feb 5, 2007

  2. Martin Evans

    Jono Guest

    On 5 Feb, 15:44, Martin Evans <> wrote:
    > Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
    > some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line' or
    > does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?
    >
    > The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has any
    > bearing on the implementation.
    >
    > --

    That depends upon the service provider.

    Certainly with voip.co.uk you can have more than one device registered
    & can make and receive calls on either device. Transferring calls
    wouldn't work. Gradwell will also allow this.

    Jono, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Martin Evans

    RH Guest

    "Martin Evans" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
    > some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line' or
    > does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?
    >
    > The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has any
    > bearing on the implementation.

    I was able to have with my SIPGATE account multiple phones registered at the
    same time,
    not sure if this was a feature or because all phones had the same account
    and same public IP address
    I suspect the latter.

    Even with a PBX system it depends on the service provider, some providers
    VOIPBUSTER ETC only
    allow one concurrent session for obvious reasons, where as other on a pay as
    you go basis might give several
    lines (at least for outgoing calls)

    So if you want to be able to make 2 concurrent calls at the same time, you
    can do it with an IP PBX with multiple accounts or multiline account

    or

    Use a a service provider which does the above function server side.
    VOIPFONE offers hosted PBX features, but rather than pay a large monthly
    charge for a virtual PBX you pay on a per feature basis for example an
    extension is £0.99 / month

    RH, Feb 5, 2007
  4. Thus spaketh Jono:
    > On 5 Feb, 15:44, Martin Evans <> wrote:
    >> Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
    >> some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line'
    >> or does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?
    >>
    >> The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has
    >> any bearing on the implementation.
    >>
    >> --

    > That depends upon the service provider.
    >
    > Certainly with voip.co.uk you can have more than one device registered
    > & can make and receive calls on either device. Transferring calls
    > wouldn't work. Gradwell will also allow this.

    With Sipgate you can do the same, have the same phone number on both
    devices and make and receive calls on both.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 5, 2007
  5. Thus spaketh RH:
    > "Martin Evans" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
    >> some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line'
    >> or does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?
    >>
    >> The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has
    >> any bearing on the implementation.

    > I was able to have with my SIPGATE account multiple phones registered
    > at the same time,
    > not sure if this was a feature or because all phones had the same
    > account and same public IP address
    > I suspect the latter.

    With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of the world and
    with the same account details in both, they will both ring when called.
    You can both make calls at the same time too. If you dial your own
    Sipgate number from the one device it will ring the other.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 5, 2007
  6. Martin Evans

    Martin Evans Guest

    On 5 Feb 2007 09:13:39 -0800, "Jono" <> wrote:

    >On 5 Feb, 15:44, Martin Evans <> wrote:
    >> Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
    >> some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line' or
    >> does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?
    >>
    >> The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has any
    >> bearing on the implementation.
    >>
    >> --

    >That depends upon the service provider.
    >
    >Certainly with voip.co.uk you can have more than one device registered
    >& can make and receive calls on either device. Transferring calls
    >wouldn't work. Gradwell will also allow this.

    The account (single line) is with Gradwell.

    Surely it can't be a case of just plugging them into the router and
    letting it assign them suitable private addresses (currently
    192.168.0.4) , or is it?

    What I'm hoping to achieve is the Siemens cordless directly connected
    to the broadband router (acting as a DHCP server) adjacent to the BT
    inlet with the cordless also connected to the PSTN as an alternative.
    Along with a wired non cordless phone this serves the main house usage
    and gives me both BT and VoIP access.

    The Linksys would be remotely located (circa 100m away) adjacent to a
    PC already connected to a wireless print server (Netgear WGPS606)
    The wireless network is up and running and both phones work ok when
    connected individually at the PC end.

    This saves me running any cabling (which would be particularly
    difficult hence me using a wireless network)

    Martin Evans, Feb 5, 2007
  7. Martin Evans

    Jono Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
    > With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of the world and with
    > the same account details in both, they will both ring when called. You can
    > both make calls at the same time too. If you dial your own Sipgate number
    > from the one device it will ring the other.

    That's interesting.

    I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if they're both on the
    same IP, let alone two with same credentials.....though I've never
    tried the latter.

    Jono, Feb 5, 2007
  8. Martin Evans

    Jono Guest

    Martin Evans wrote :

    > The account (single line) is with Gradwell.
    >
    > Surely it can't be a case of just plugging them into the router and
    > letting it assign them suitable private addresses (currently
    > 192.168.0.4) , or is it?

    Yes.

    As far as I'm aware, though, Gradwell charge a little extra for
    multi-line services - I could be wrong.....

    Jono, Feb 5, 2007
  9. Martin Evans

    Rob Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
    > > With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of the world and

    with
    > > the same account details in both, they will both ring when called. You

    can
    > > both make calls at the same time too. If you dial your own Sipgate

    number
    > > from the one device it will ring the other.

    > That's interesting.

    I thought so too.

    > I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if they're both on the
    > same IP, let alone two with same credentials.....though I've never
    > tried the latter.

    I just tried it and can confirm it works (using 2 ports on my DrayTek
    2800VG), although I didn't do it from the other side of the world!

    Rob

    Rob, Feb 5, 2007
  10. Thus spaketh Rob:
    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
    >>> With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of the world
    >>> and with the same account details in both, they will both ring when
    >>> called. You can both make calls at the same time too. If you dial
    >>> your own Sipgate number from the one device it will ring the other.

    >> That's interesting.

    > I thought so too.
    >
    >> I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if they're both on
    >> the same IP, let alone two with same credentials.....though I've
    >> never tried the latter.

    > I just tried it and can confirm it works (using 2 ports on my DrayTek
    > 2800VG), although I didn't do it from the other side of the world!
    >
    > Rob

    Yeah, it works.

    Also you can transfer the call (or have 3-way call) with your other line
    simply again by dialing your own number.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 5, 2007
  11. Jono wrote:
    > Martin Evans wrote :
    >

    >> The account (single line) is with Gradwell.
    >> Surely it can't be a case of just plugging them into the router and
    >> letting it assign them suitable private addresses (currently
    >> 192.168.0.4) , or is it?

    > Yes.
    >
    > As far as I'm aware, though, Gradwell charge a little extra for
    > multi-line services - I could be wrong.....

    It depends on what you want, they allow you to have 2 incoming calls per
    number and an unlimited number of outgoing calls.

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 6, 2007
  12. Martin Evans

    Guest

    On 5 Feb 2007 09:13:39 -0800, "Jono" <> wrote:

    >On 5 Feb, 15:44, Martin Evans <> wrote:
    >> Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
    >> some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line' or
    >> does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?
    >>
    >> The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has any
    >> bearing on the implementation.
    >>
    >> --

    >That depends upon the service provider.
    >
    >Certainly with voip.co.uk you can have more than one device registered
    >& can make and receive calls on either device. Transferring calls
    >wouldn't work. Gradwell will also allow this.

    You could use a Virtual PBX such as Axon from NCH Swift Sound which
    will handle multiple VOIP extensions (USB, WiFi or softphones) on a
    network and also multiple VOIP service providers. It will ring all the
    extensions for an incoming call if required.

    www.nch.com.au/pbx

    David

    , Feb 6, 2007
  13. Martin Evans

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message

    [snip]

    > With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of
    > the world and with the same account details in both, they
    > will both ring when called. You can both make calls at
    > the same time too. If you dial your own Sipgate number
    > from the one device it will ring the other.

    It's called call forking and is a standard SIP feature. It *should* work
    with any provider, although I suppose it's possible that some have found
    ways to disable it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 6, 2007
  14. Martin Evans

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
    > > With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of
    > > the world and with the same account details in both,
    > > they will both ring when called. You can both make
    > > calls at the same time too. If you dial your own
    > > Sipgate number from the one device it will ring the
    > > other.

    > That's interesting.
    >
    > I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if
    > they're both on the same IP, let alone two with same
    > credentials.....though I've never tried the latter.

    It depends on what equipment you're using. I had terrible problems with a
    Sipura SPA-2000 and a Netgear 602 modem/router with 2 Sipgate accounts,
    sometimes it would work from one line to the other, sometimes not. It was
    eventually sorted when I replaced the Netgear with a Fritz!Box. The Sipura
    works fine plugged into the Fritz as well.

    I can even take my SPA-1001 to Germany and the USA and it works fine with
    2 of my Sipgate numbers in it as well.

    I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst
    others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot
    of the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is about..!!)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 6, 2007
  15. Martin Evans

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones expressed precisely :
    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
    >> > With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of
    >> > the world and with the same account details in both,
    >> > they will both ring when called. You can both make
    >> > calls at the same time too. If you dial your own
    >> > Sipgate number from the one device it will ring the
    >> > other.

    >> That's interesting.
    >>
    >> I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if
    >> they're both on the same IP, let alone two with same
    >> credentials.....though I've never tried the latter.

    > It depends on what equipment you're using. I had terrible problems with a
    > Sipura SPA-2000 and a Netgear 602 modem/router with 2 Sipgate accounts,
    > sometimes it would work from one line to the other, sometimes not. It was
    > eventually sorted when I replaced the Netgear with a Fritz!Box. The Sipura
    > works fine plugged into the Fritz as well.
    >
    > I can even take my SPA-1001 to Germany and the USA and it works fine with 2
    > of my Sipgate numbers in it as well.
    >
    > I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst others
    > gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot of the time
    > (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is about..!!)
    >
    > Ivor

    I never thought it was a Sipgate fault as the accounts were fine on
    different networks - I presumed it was some issue internal to my
    network

    Jono, Feb 6, 2007
  16. Martin Evans

    Herman Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst
    > others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot
    > of the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is about..!!)

    Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that I have multiple
    providers configured on my FritzBox, and I have call quality and DTMF
    recognition issues on Sipgate calls where I don't with others. They may be
    good as a cheap and cheerful second line, but I would not be able to use
    them with my setup as a PSTN replacement.

    Herman, Feb 7, 2007
  17. Martin Evans

    Jono Guest

    Herman expressed precisely :
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst
    >> others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot of
    >> the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is about..!!)

    > Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that I have multiple
    > providers configured on my FritzBox, and I have call quality and DTMF
    > recognition issues on Sipgate calls where I don't with others. They may be
    > good as a cheap and cheerful second line, but I would not be able to use them
    > with my setup as a PSTN replacement.

    Hmm. I have a number of Sipgate trunks, none of which have any
    difficulty whatsoever with DTMF.......you're new to the Fritz!box,
    aren't you?

    Jono, Feb 7, 2007
  18. Martin Evans

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Herman" <> wrote in
    message news:93tyh.1840$
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > I suspect things like this are part of the reason that
    > > Sipgate amongst others gets a bad press, it's the
    > > user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot of the time (I
    > > won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is
    > > about..!!)

    > Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that
    > I have multiple providers configured on my FritzBox, and
    > I have call quality and DTMF recognition issues on
    > Sipgate calls where I don't with others. They may be
    > good as a cheap and cheerful second line, but I would not
    > be able to use them with my setup as a PSTN replacement.

    Strange, I have two Sipgate UK accounts, one Sipgate DE account, a FWD
    account, one Gradwell account and a private direct link to a friend's
    Asterisk box on my Fritz!Box and all work fine with no discernable
    difference in call quality on any of them.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 8, 2007
  19. Thus spaketh Jono:
    > Herman expressed precisely :
    >> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>> I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate
    >>> amongst others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not
    >>> Sipgate a lot of the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case
    >>> Dexter is about..!!)

    >> Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that I have
    >> multiple providers configured on my FritzBox, and I have call
    >> quality and DTMF recognition issues on Sipgate calls where I don't
    >> with others. They may be good as a cheap and cheerful second line,
    >> but I would not be able to use them with my setup as a PSTN
    >> replacement.

    > Hmm. I have a number of Sipgate trunks, none of which have any
    > difficulty whatsoever with DTMF.......you're new to the Fritz!box,
    > aren't you?

    Same here, no problems with DTMF on Sipgate lines.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 8, 2007
  20. Martin Evans

    Herman Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Herman expressed precisely :
    >> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>> I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst
    >>> others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot
    >>> of the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is
    >>> about..!!)

    >> Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that I have multiple
    >> providers configured on my FritzBox, and I have call quality and DTMF
    >> recognition issues on Sipgate calls where I don't with others. They may
    >> be good as a cheap and cheerful second line, but I would not be able to
    >> use them with my setup as a PSTN replacement.

    > Hmm. I have a number of Sipgate trunks, none of which have any difficulty
    > whatsoever with DTMF.......you're new to the Fritz!box, aren't you?

    I've had the FritzBox for a few months now but I had the same issue on my
    previous ATA. In any case, the call quality generally is nowhere near as
    good as my other providers. There is clearly something about Sipgate that
    makes it prone to quality issues.

    Although there may be a way of solving them, I haven't found it yet.
    However, I suspect it is something to do with internet routing somewhere,
    which is a problem that cannot be solved by users. I suspect there are one
    or more weak points in the potential routes to Sipgate servers which clearly
    cause some users issues while they don't for others.

    Herman, Feb 8, 2007