two USB 2.0 hard drives and the Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jimmy Smith, May 25, 2004.

  1. Jimmy Smith

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    Hi,

    I am running Windows XP Pro with 1 Gig Ram and 120 Gig Internal Drive and
    2.2Gig Hz P4.

    I recently purchased a second external USB 2.0 hard drive. My first was a
    Maxtor 40 Gig USB 2.0, and the second is a Western Digital USB 2.0. If I
    turn on both drives first and then the computer I get the dark blue screen
    warning of danger and the coming system shut down.

    I can have either drive on by itself it everything boots fine. Or I can
    turn on both drives after the computer fully boots and they are recognized
    and work fine. Only if I leave them both on and then turn on the computer
    do I get the blue screen. Any ideas how I may solve this problem would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, May 25, 2004

  2. Jimmy Smith

    Thor Guest

    "Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Pro with 1 Gig Ram and 120 Gig Internal Drive and
    > 2.2Gig Hz P4.
    >
    > I recently purchased a second external USB 2.0 hard drive. My first was a
    > Maxtor 40 Gig USB 2.0, and the second is a Western Digital USB 2.0. If I
    > turn on both drives first and then the computer I get the dark blue screen
    > warning of danger and the coming system shut down.
    >
    > I can have either drive on by itself it everything boots fine. Or I can
    > turn on both drives after the computer fully boots and they are recognized
    > and work fine. Only if I leave them both on and then turn on the computer
    > do I get the blue screen. Any ideas how I may solve this problem would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    Try disabling legacy USB support in the BIOS. It could be causing a problem
    with having two drives connected. I've seen it cause issues with windowsXP
    and connected USB devices at bootup.

    Thor, May 25, 2004