Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by M-M, Mar 8, 2012.

  1. M-M

    M-M Guest

    M-M, Mar 8, 2012

  2. M-M

    otter Guest

    otter, Mar 9, 2012

  3. M-M

    me Guest

    On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:07:22 -0500, M-M <> wrote:

    >The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
    >equivalent.
    >
    >THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
    >the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
    >
    >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
    >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

    Nice shots but that is not a green flash beginning. Just the normal
    sun color. The portion of the sun below the clouds just has more blue
    light filtered from it.
    me, Mar 9, 2012
  4. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    me <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:07:22 -0500, M-M <> wrote:
    >
    > >The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
    > >equivalent.
    > >
    > >THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
    > >the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
    > >
    > >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
    > >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

    > Nice shots but that is not a green flash beginning. Just the normal
    > sun color. The portion of the sun below the clouds just has more blue
    > light filtered from it.

    I have to disagree.
    If you look at the very top edge of the second image- the part *above*
    the cloud, you will see a very faint hint of green. This top green
    border increases and as the sun disappears below the horizon, it is all
    that is left, hence the "green flash".

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:
    M-M, Mar 10, 2012
  5. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > On 2012-03-08 11:07 , M-M wrote:
    > > The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
    > > equivalent.
    > >
    > > THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
    > > the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
    > >
    > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
    > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

    > When did you take these?
    >
    > I'm wondering if the spots, 2nd image, are those related to the current
    > CME event that is causing mild concern. Or at least other sunspots.
    >
    > In here they are at a higher latitude, however:
    > http://www.spaceweather.com/images2012/08mar12/sunspotsunset_strip.jpg

    The second image was taken March 2, 2012. I did see some rather distinct
    sunspots as I was shooting the magnified image.

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:
    M-M, Mar 10, 2012
  6. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article
    <-september.org>,
    M-M <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 2012-03-08 11:07 , M-M wrote:
    > > > The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
    > > > equivalent.
    > > >
    > > > THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
    > > > the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
    > > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

    > > When did you take these?
    > >
    > > I'm wondering if the spots, 2nd image, are those related to the current
    > > CME event that is causing mild concern. Or at least other sunspots.
    > >
    > > In here they are at a higher latitude, however:
    > > http://www.spaceweather.com/images2012/08mar12/sunspotsunset_strip.jpg

    > The second image was taken March 2, 2012. I did see some rather distinct
    > sunspots as I was shooting the magnified image.

    One more thing. I checked the rest of the series. The darker spot to the
    left on the second image is a bird. The lighter one to the right is a
    sunspot.

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:
    M-M, Mar 10, 2012
  7. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <2012030921364343042-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > On 2012-03-09 21:03:10 -0800, M-M <> said:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > me <> wrote:

    > >> Nice shots but that is not a green flash beginning. Just the normal
    > >> sun color. The portion of the sun below the clouds just has more blue
    > >> light filtered from it.

    > > I have to disagree.
    > > If you look at the very top edge of the second image- the part *above*
    > > the cloud, you will see a very faint hint of green. This top green
    > > border increases and as the sun disappears below the horizon, it is all
    > > that is left, hence the "green flash".

    > Aah! the hunt for the "green flash"!
    >
    > There is no "green flash" beginning, middle, or grand finale in that
    > Sunset image. I believe that like my attempts to capture images of
    > "Bigfoot" it has eluded you.

    Here is a 100% crop of the top. Do you not see green?

    http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/temp/green.jpg

    Here is a sunset that definitely shows it:

    http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/boatset.mov

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:
    M-M, Mar 10, 2012
  8. M-M

    Bruce Guest

    >On 2012-03-10 03:36:15 -0800, M-M <> said:

    >>> Aah! the hunt for the "green flash"!
    >>>
    >>> There is no "green flash" beginning, middle, or grand finale in that
    >>> Sunset image. I believe that like my attempts to capture images of
    >>> "Bigfoot" it has eluded you.

    >> Here is a 100% crop of the top. Do you not see green?
    >>
    >> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/temp/green.jpg

    >Do you not see CA?
    >
    >...and with most any editing software your color of choice is a slide
    >adjustment away.
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/M-M_GF-01.jpg >
    >

    >> Here is a sunset that definitely shows it:
    >>
    >> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/boatset.mov

    >I will give you an itty-bitty greenish flash at the end of that
    >sequence. However given the problematic nature of the accurate capture
    >of solar images on any media, digital or film, perceived color is going
    >to be just that, and the "green flash" will remain an elusive illusory
    >beast.

    I think it is easier to see the flash if you are wearing a foil hat.
    Bruce, Mar 10, 2012

  9. >
    >>> Here is a 100% crop of the top. Do you not see green?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/temp/green.jpg

    >> Do you not see CA?

    The green flash IS a real atmospheric effect. And
    it *IS** CA from atmospheric dispersion.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Mar 10, 2012
  10. M-M

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Mar 10, 2012
  11. M-M

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/9/2012 6:07 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-08 11:07 , M-M wrote:
    >> The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
    >> equivalent.
    >>
    >> THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
    >> the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
    >>
    >> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
    >> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

    > When did you take these?

    He obviously took them at high noon.