Two Routers ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Gerry Abbott, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. Gerry Abbott

    Gerry Abbott Guest

    Hi all,
    Ive got two routers, and Zoom X3, also my DSL modem, and a Linksys WRT54g.

    I wish to deactivate the zoom as a router, and use the Linksys only as the
    router.
    Zoom gives me an option to change the operation to 1483 Bridged, IP LLC, and
    enable 'bridged' operation.
    (this was the advice Zoom gave me)
    Then I've got to change my Linksys, from DHCP, to Router PPPoE, and add my
    PPP details.
    Ive done this but Im not getting internet access.

    Anyone any ideas to help.

    PS,
    Its working at present, and ive got internet access, with the Zoom set to
    PPPoE, and the Linksys set to DHCP.
    However i cant open ports, which i need to do for specific applications.

    Gerry Abbott, Dec 5, 2004

  2. In article <PXMsd.43304$>,
    Gerry Abbott <> wrote:
    :Ive got two routers, and Zoom X3, also my DSL modem, and a Linksys WRT54g.

    :I wish to deactivate the zoom as a router, and use the Linksys only as the
    :router.
    :Zoom gives me an option to change the operation to 1483 Bridged, IP LLC, and
    :enable 'bridged' operation.
    :(this was the advice Zoom gave me)
    :Then I've got to change my Linksys, from DHCP, to Router PPPoE, and add my
    :pPP details.
    :Ive done this but Im not getting internet access.

    Urrr, I guess this is sort of the right place for such as question
    now that Cisco owns Linksys, but the two companies are kept
    separate enough that this newsgroup so far has really only covered
    equipment marketted under the Cisco label. Not that there is a
    newsgroup more specifically suited for Linksys...

    Speaking of specifics... you haven't really given us much to go on.
    I will hazard a conjecture, though:

    Some ISPs record the MAC address of the device you are connecting
    to the DSL line, and lock that in. Then, when you go to connect
    a different device, the new device is locked out. In some cases,
    resolution is as easy as powercycling the DSL modem; in other cases,
    you have to ask the DSL provider to change the MAC. Sometimes
    the DSL provider won't change the MAC ("We don't support using a router")
    or wants a lot of money to do it: in such cases, the usual trick is
    to configure the router to 'clone' the MAC address of the device you
    previously had connected.

    Your anti-spammed email address suggests that you are in Ireland.
    I haven't heard much about the ISPs in Ireland, so I cannot judge
    whether the above scenario is the likely solution, or whether you
    have a different issue entirely.

    I would suggest that you start by power-cycling the DSL modem if
    you haven't tried that already. If that doesn't help, then I would
    suggest taking the zoom out of the link, temporarily connecting a test
    device to the Linksys directly, and see whether you can get out that way.
    That will help narrow down where the problem is.
    --
    Everyone has a "Good Cause" for which they are prepared to spam.
    -- Roberson's Law of the Internet

    Walter Roberson, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Gerry Abbott

    Gerry Abbott Guest

    Thanks Walter,
    I limited info in the post since i was not sure if id get a response here.

    I'll try to outline my setup in as much as I understand it.

    What i have is a static address from my ISP, this is not relevant to my
    current setup, since i get this address once I enter the correct PPP
    details, and re-boot.

    So my phone line connects into the Zoom DSL router, and the settings for
    this are
    PPPoE LLC,
    VCI is 35
    VPI is 8
    Then username and password.

    The base address of this router is 10.0.0.2, and when I had this connected
    directly to my hub, it assigned IP adresses to my networked machines in the
    range 10.0.0.3..... etc.

    So then I got a wireless/wired router, with 4 ethernet ports, and a wireless
    access point. There was very little additional setting up, and i used the
    default DHCP, automatic configuration. That worked fine, but now my machines
    all had their iP addresses in the range 192.168.1........., and this is the
    base address for the linksys router, and the console is accessed with
    192.168.1.1. So it looks like Linksys is re-routing the Zoom connection, and
    assigning its own IP's to the networked machines. Problem here is there are
    two places where the Ports can be setup. All advice i have received to date
    suggests that i must have only one of these devices acting as a router, and
    since there are extra ports, and a wireless access point on the linksys, it
    makes sense to make this one the router.

    So as per instructions from Zoom, I changed the encapsulation settings to
    bridged 1483, IP LLC, and the bridged option switched to True. This removed
    the need to enter the PPP settings into the Zoom modem. I then applied these
    settings, and re-booted the modem.

    So now i changed the linksys from DHCP, to PPPoE, and it gave me the option
    to enter my Password and username. The local IP and subnet mask remained as
    192.168. 1.1 and 255.255.255.0. I then saved the changes, and tried access
    to the internet. But no go. The Zoom technical support seemed to think that
    it may be a problem with my username or password.

    I suppose a starting point would be to check this. Is there any diagnostics
    within the Linksys router to check this.

    Or any other suggestions are welcome

    Below are a couple of images of the setup screens.

    http://homepage.eircom.net/~fish44/Router/BridgedZoom.jpg
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~fish44/Router/BridgedZoomDiagnostics.jpg
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~fish44/Router/Linksys.jpg

    Regards,
    Gerry Abbott

    Gerry Abbott, Dec 6, 2004
  4. In article <oC2td.43365$>,
    Gerry Abbott <> wrote:
    :So my phone line connects into the Zoom DSL router, and the settings for
    :this are
    :pPPoE LLC,
    :VCI is 35
    :VPI is 8
    :Then username and password.

    I'm not familiar with the Zoom DSL modem and the implications of
    switching to IP LLC. What popped into mind as soon as I saw that
    VCI/VPI information was that -perhaps- when you switch to IP LLC that
    the Zoom no longer uses that VCI and VPI. Not that it would really
    make sense to do that, but stranger things have been known to happen.

    [I happened to do a little technical research a couple of months ago;
    it seems that most DSL providers use a VCI of 0 and a VPI of 35
    instead of the 8 and 35 that your provider is using. Some DSL modems
    are essentially only factory configurable for the VCI setting, so
    you can't always take one of them from one place to another and have it
    work. But that's not what you are trying to do, so this is just
    extraneous information ;0 ]
    --
    WW{Backus,Church,Dijkstra,Knuth,Hollerith,Turing,vonNeumann}D ?

    Walter Roberson, Dec 6, 2004