    0.1

    All machines on the 0 subnet need to see each other (and can); again ,any
    nasty problems in the future ?

    barret bondon, Apr 17, 2012

  2. "barret bondon" <> writes:
    > Two routers with their own external static public IP's serving PORTIONS of
    >the same internal subnet. Is that OK ? Any nasty ramifications ?

    Sure, that is fine. Not sure why you want to do it that way, it
    doesn't offer load balancing or redundancy. It would be like you had
    two networks, that may share a switch, but otherwise pass in the night.

    >So router1's external is xxx.xxx.xx.1 and two's is xxx.xxx.xx.2. 1's
    >internal address block is 192.168.0.3 to 0.160 with a gateway of 0.2 and
    >router 2's internal block runs say from 0.161 to 0.250 using a gate way of
    >0.1

    This last line especially has me totally confused about what you
    intend to do.

    But people do do dual WAN firewall/routers all the time. That seems to
    be what you want, but without any benefits, just the complexity.

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 17, 2012

  3. No benefits , just added complexity, is a good way of putting it. It just
    snuck up on me one very high pressured day at a client; the original
    "router" is a very old PIX that I set up years ago and it started giving me
    odd problems as I was adding new hosts behind it. I had a bunch of new cheap
    off the self routers and just added one as I described . Been working fine
    for 8 months, but I wondered if I had bought into some problems. Good to
    hear what you had to say. Many thanks

    barret bondon, Apr 17, 2012
  4. barret bondon

    Ciscohite Guest

    Re: Two routers with their own external static public IP's servingPORTIONS of the same internal subnet. Is that OK

    Yups... n rather its a gud design if used with good protocols like GLBP.. for detailed implementation.. see this -

    http://www.ebrahma.com/2012/04/glbp-unbeatable-fhrp-first-hop.html

    Ciscohite, Apr 25, 2012