Two Questions: Word document 'in use' - can they be freed? AND Win2K Server admin.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Andy½, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Andy½

    Andy½ Guest

    Dear all,

    Question One
    =========
    Occasionally on our server a document (M$ Word) will not backup (NTBackup -
    Win2000 Server) as it is currently still 'in use' presumably due to a crash
    on a client PC elsewhere in the building during the day (I have checked PCs
    are not left on or leffed logged in overnight).

    Is there are way of freeing these 'in use' documents up?

    Question Two
    =========

    Loosely related to the above. I'd like to schedlue a 'batch
    terminate/forceoff' of all logins before a nightly backup commences. Can
    this be done (same server setup Win2K)

    Regards
    Andy.

    Andy½, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Howdy!

    "Andy½" <> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > Question One
    > =========
    > Occasionally on our server a document (M$ Word) will not backup

    (NTBackup -
    > Win2000 Server) as it is currently still 'in use' presumably due to a

    crash
    > on a client PC elsewhere in the building during the day (I have checked

    PCs
    > are not left on or leffed logged in overnight).
    >
    > Is there are way of freeing these 'in use' documents up?

    Easiest is to reboot the server.

    There are utilities to do this. Plus, a competent backup program
    (Veritas Backup Exec, for instance) can also backup "busy" files.

    > Question Two
    > =========
    >
    > Loosely related to the above. I'd like to schedlue a 'batch
    > terminate/forceoff' of all logins before a nightly backup commences. Can
    > this be done (same server setup Win2K)

    Check the domain policy for "Force logoffs when logon time expires"
    and set the logoff times for the users.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Andy½

    Andy½ Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Andy½" <> wrote in message
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> Question One
    >> =========
    >> Occasionally on our server a document (M$ Word) will not backup
    >> (NTBackup - Win2000 Server) as it is currently still 'in use'
    >> presumably due to a crash on a client PC elsewhere in the building
    >> during the day (I have checked PCs are not left on or leffed logged
    >> in overnight).
    >>
    >> Is there are way of freeing these 'in use' documents up?

    > Easiest is to reboot the server.
    >
    > There are utilities to do this. Plus, a competent backup
    > program (Veritas Backup Exec, for instance) can also backup "busy"
    > files.
    >

    >> Question Two
    >> =========
    >>
    >> Loosely related to the above. I'd like to schedlue a 'batch
    >> terminate/forceoff' of all logins before a nightly backup commences.
    >> Can this be done (same server setup Win2K)

    > Check the domain policy for "Force logoffs when logon time
    > expires" and set the logoff times for the users.
    >
    > RwP

    Thanks for the tips. I've used Veritas before and it is great; unfortunately
    however where I am currently doesn't have that kind of budget. I'll look at
    the policy logn expiry issue.

    Cheers,

    Andy.

    Andy½, Apr 2, 2004