    included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
    execution speed of the finished binaries?

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Lennier

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:07:42 +1300, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >How should one go about uninstalling binaries that were originally
    >downloaded in a gizumped tarball?

    Erm, by hand. Do a tar ztvf <filename> to find out where they went.

    >when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
    >using GCC, how does one add a build ID?

    Should be a macro somewhere in the source or headers that come with
    Moz.

    >Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd like
    >to customise it if I can.
    >
    >Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
    >included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
    >execution speed of the finished binaries?

    man gcc.

    Um, off the top of my head the -o<number> option determines the
    optimation of the code, I think. Most package create a Makefile when
    you run ./configure, and looking at that should give you the options
    that are being used. Optimisation doesn't always make the code go
    faster BTW. Most packages don't include debugging code as such, but
    the author may write the code to include stuff that is printed out if
    you use a -v or --debug code. Some may include a switch macro to
    include or exclude debugging code.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.
    Enkidu, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Lennier

    Malcolm Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:07:42 +1300, Lennier
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>How should one go about uninstalling binaries that were originally
    >>downloaded in a gizumped tarball?
    >>

    > Erm, by hand. Do a tar ztvf <filename> to find out where they went.

    <snip>

    Hi
    Have a look here, there is a section on what to remove and where
    http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.6b/

    I can cheat on this sparc.... pkgrm :)

    Cheers
    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:59:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:07:42 +1300, Lennier <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>How should one go about uninstalling binaries that were originally
    >>downloaded in a gizumped tarball?
    >>

    > Erm, by hand. Do a tar ztvf <filename> to find out where they went.
    >>
    >>when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
    >>using GCC, how does one add a build ID?
    >>

    > Should be a macro somewhere in the source or headers that come with Moz.
    >>
    >>Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd
    >>like to customise it if I can.
    >>
    >>Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
    >>included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
    >>execution speed of the finished binaries?
    >>

    > man gcc.
    >
    > Um, off the top of my head the -o<number> option determines the optimation
    > of the code, I think. Most package create a Makefile when you run
    > ./configure, and looking at that should give you the options that are
    > being used. Optimisation doesn't always make the code go faster BTW. Most
    > packages don't include debugging code as such, but the author may write
    > the code to include stuff that is printed out if you use a -v or --debug
    > code. Some may include a switch macro to include or exclude debugging
    > code.

    Cool - thanks for the info - appreciated.

    Happy New Year to you...

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Lennier

    Nick Thomas Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
    > using GCC, how does one add a build ID?
    > Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd
    > like to customise it if I can.

    All zeros sounds a little odd for a build ID, which for Mozilla means
    the string in the Help:About dialog box. If you mean 0.0.0.0 then that
    is the file version and another problem. I build MozillaFirebird on
    Win32 with Visual Studio but the situation is fairly similar for the
    Suite and gcc.

    For 0.0.0.0, the relevant file is mozilla/xpfe/bootstrap/module.ver but
    that has only one line:

    WIN32_MODULE_DESCRIPTION=Mozilla

    Contrast that to mozilla/browser/app/module.ver for Firebird:

    WIN32_MODULE_COMPANYNAME=Mozilla
    WIN32_MODULE_COPYRIGHT=<A9>Firebird and Mozilla Developers, according to
    the MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1 licenses, as applicable.
    WIN32_MODULE_FILEVERSION=0,7,0,0
    WIN32_MODULE_FILEVERSION_STRING=0.7+
    WIN32_MODULE_TRADEMARKS=Blah
    WIN32_MODULE_DESCRIPTION=Mozilla Firebird
    WIN32_MODULE_PRODUCTNAME=Firebird
    WIN32_MODULE_NAME=Firebird

    That information shows up in the Version tab of the properties of the
    executable. I don't know if gcc does this trick too.

    BuildID information is scattered around the source tree, and my current
    BuildID is:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031221
    Firebird/0.7+

    The date comes from mozilla/layout/gbdate.h, which is created by
    gpdate.pl in the same directory, and contains the line:

    #define PRODUCT_VERSION "20031221"

    The file is created during the export part of the build in
    mozilla/layout so you can delete it before building and it will recover
    for you. Unfortunately it's not updated when you are doing a depend
    build (just recompiling the bits that have changed and their
    dependencies) so I delete it after each cvs checkout. Clean builds avoid
    this problem.

    The milestone information (1.6b) comes from
    mozilla/config/milestone.txt, and the associated milestone.pl &
    Moz/Milestone.pm, but I haven't played with them. Looks like you just
    edit milestone.txt though.

    You also might find this link

    http://www.mozilla.org/build/distribution.html

    useful if you are building from the 1.6b source tarball rather than the
    trunk.

    > Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
    > included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
    > execution speed of the finished binaries?

    You probably want to have a look at some of the pages at

    http://www.mozilla.org/build/

    but the short answer is to modify your .mozconfig file to include:

    ac_add_options --disable-debug

    For optimization, there are various levels which optimize for size,
    speed and CPU architecture but I've found that the more aggressive you
    are the more likely that there will be bugs.

    ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-02

    is a nice boost without getting to carried away. Try looking in the
    Builds forums at http://forums.mozillazine.org for what other people are
    using.

    Caveat: mozconfig gets used if you start the build process with "make -f
    client.mk build". If you are manually configuring and making then it's
    more compilcated.

    Hope that lot helps. :)

    Nick Thomas
    Nick Thomas, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:30:52 +1300, Nick Thomas wrote:

    > Lennier wrote:
    >> when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
    >> using GCC, how does one add a build ID?
    > > Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd
    > > like to customise it if I can.

    > All zeros sounds a little odd for a build ID, which for Mozilla means the
    > string in the Help:About dialog box.

    Isn't that the USER/version ID string rather than the Build ID?

    The current build ID for my installation of Mozilla, after I myself
    compiled it is: Mozilla {Build ID 0000000000}

    It appears like that in the Window Title when one sets Mozilla to sart
    with a blank window.

    <snip>

    > http://www.mozilla.org/build/distribution.html
    >
    > useful if you are building from the 1.6b source tarball rather than the
    > trunk.

    Yes- I downloaded the 1.6b tarball

    >> Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
    >> included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
    >> execution speed of the finished binaries?

    > You probably want to have a look at some of the pages at
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/build/

    Thanks - did that...

    <snip>

    > For optimization, there are various levels which optimize for size, speed
    > and CPU architecture but I've found that the more aggressive you are the
    > more likely that there will be bugs.
    >
    > ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-02
    >
    > is a nice boost without getting to carried away. Try looking in the Builds
    > forums at http://forums.mozillazine.org for what other people are using.

    Cool- thanks alot.

    Is it the higher the optimise number the more aggressive it is? Does 01
    give more optimisation than 02?

    Now, how does all this info translate when wanting to compile other
    programmes?

    I mean, probably before long there will be another release of PAN and I
    would like to compile that one as well.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Jan 1, 2004
  7. Lennier

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:45:48 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:30:52 +1300, Nick Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> Lennier wrote:
    >>> when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
    >>> using GCC, how does one add a build ID?
    >> > Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd
    >> > like to customise it if I can.

    >> All zeros sounds a little odd for a build ID, which for Mozilla means the
    >> string in the Help:About dialog box.

    > Isn't that the USER/version ID string rather than the Build ID?
    >
    > The current build ID for my installation of Mozilla, after I myself
    > compiled it is: Mozilla {Build ID 0000000000}
    >
    > It appears like that in the Window Title when one sets Mozilla to sart
    > with a blank window.
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/build/distribution.html
    >>
    >> useful if you are building from the 1.6b source tarball rather than the
    >> trunk.

    > Yes- I downloaded the 1.6b tarball
    >

    >>> Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
    >>> included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
    >>> execution speed of the finished binaries?

    >> You probably want to have a look at some of the pages at
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/build/

    > Thanks - did that...
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    >> For optimization, there are various levels which optimize for size, speed
    >> and CPU architecture but I've found that the more aggressive you are the
    >> more likely that there will be bugs.
    >>
    >> ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-02
    >>
    >> is a nice boost without getting to carried away. Try looking in the Builds
    >> forums at http://forums.mozillazine.org for what other people are using.

    > Cool- thanks alot.
    >
    > Is it the higher the optimise number the more aggressive it is? Does 01
    > give more optimisation than 02?
    >
    > Now, how does all this info translate when wanting to compile other
    > programmes?
    >
    > I mean, probably before long there will be another release of PAN and I
    > would like to compile that one as well.
    >

    > Lennier

    AFAIK the build ID is just the date and time it was built, for example my
    mozilla ID (it is an old build, cant be bothered updating and it works
    fine) is 2003071814
    -[Myth]-, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:37:19 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > AFAIK the build ID is just the date and time it was built, for example my
    > mozilla ID (it is an old build, cant be bothered updating and it works
    > fine) is 2003071814

    Ah.

    So why would my build not include the date/time?

    Lennier
    Lennier, Jan 1, 2004
  9. Lennier

    Nick Thomas Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > So why would my build not include the date/time?

    Seems that build ID is used for identifying nightly and tinderbox
    builds, and therefore isn't all that relevant to a milestone release.

    Dunno why it's not working properly but you could tweak the contents of
    mozilla/config/nsBuildID.h if you want. Looks like there are some
    helpful comments in that file about setting environment variables to
    avoid this too.

    Nick
    Nick Thomas, Jan 1, 2004
  10. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    Lennier, Jan 1, 2004
  11. Hi there,

    Lennier wrote:
    > How should one go about uninstalling binaries that were originally
    > downloaded in a gizumped tarball?

    Some archives will have uninstall as well as install scripts if you're
    lucky. Check the directory you ungzipped to...

    > Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
    > included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
    > execution speed of the finished binaries?

    I'm no expert on this, but I added a -mcpu=athlon to compiler flags in
    the makefile for an OpenGL demo I compiled, to see if optimisation for
    my AthlonXP actually would make any difference to the speed the demo
    rendered at. It did, but not startling since its a hefty gfx card test,
    not a CPU one...CPU oriented stuff should show an improvement.

    If you see a line like...

    CXXFLAGS=-Wall -O2

    ....in a Makefile add -mcpu=<insert CPU type here>...

    Valid types on my gcc 3.2.2 are i386, i486, i586, i686, k6, athlon...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 2, 2004
  12. Hi there,

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > I'm no expert on this, but I added a -mcpu=athlon to compiler flags in
    > the makefile for an OpenGL demo I compiled, to see if optimisation for
    > my AthlonXP actually would make any difference to the speed the demo
    > rendered at. It did, but not startling since its a hefty gfx card test,
    > not a CPU one...CPU oriented stuff should show an improvement.
    >
    > If you see a line like...
    >
    > CXXFLAGS=-Wall -O2
    >
    > ...in a Makefile add -mcpu=<insert CPU type here>...

    While I remember, I've also seen config scripts that determine your
    architecture, and insert cpu optimisations for you. Thats *some*
    scripts, and certainly not all... :-(

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 3, 2004