    best for value for money. Around 60-80gb. My laptop is an Acer Aspire
    1350 if thats any use.

    Thanks

    JC, Jan 5, 2006

  2. In message <dphp4g$k8g$>, JC <> wrote:

    >I am considering upgrading my digital camera. Currently it is a Canon
    >Powershot A60. Takes good photos, but want something that takes bigger
    >photos.. so around the 5mp mark. Also needs to take Compact Flash, and
    >be around the $500 - 600 price range.

    CompactFlash is on its way out for compact cameras. I don't know of a
    current CF compact in that price range. Only the higher end cameras
    tend to have CF now, as far as I know - DSLRs and "crossover" cameras
    (eg. Fuji S9500, Panasonic FZ20 & 30).

    How much memory do you have invested in CF? Maybe you'd be better off
    looking for a cheaper SD or xD camera + card?
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Jan 5, 2006

  3. JC

    Rob J Guest

    In article <dphp4g$k8g$>, says...
    > I am considering upgrading my digital camera. Currently it is a Canon
    > Powershot A60. Takes good photos, but want something that takes bigger
    > photos.. so around the 5mp mark. Also needs to take Compact Flash, and
    > be around the $500 - 600 price range.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    Select from the buttons for the megapixel rating and it will give you a
    list of cameras of that rating with other useful info.

    From that we can see that CF is going out of fashion. New, you might
    still be able to get something that's end of line, otherwise bite the
    bullet and go to some other kind of memory.

    Great stuff CF (I have 2x 256 MB for a 6 month old Canon) but not
    popular now, much bigger than most other types.

    Rob J, Jan 5, 2006
  4. JC

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <dphp4g$k8g$>, says...
    >
    >>I am considering upgrading my digital camera. Currently it is a Canon
    >>Powershot A60. Takes good photos, but want something that takes bigger
    >>photos.. so around the 5mp mark. Also needs to take Compact Flash, and
    >>be around the $500 - 600 price range.

    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    > Select from the buttons for the megapixel rating and it will give you a
    > list of cameras of that rating with other useful info.
    >
    > From that we can see that CF is going out of fashion. New, you might
    > still be able to get something that's end of line, otherwise bite the
    > bullet and go to some other kind of memory.
    >
    > Great stuff CF (I have 2x 256 MB for a 6 month old Canon) but not
    > popular now, much bigger than most other types.

    the newer stuff is hard to hande. for old people, in bad windy weather I
    saw sombody loose a memory card once that way. LOL I use a Fuji Camera
    with XD cards the smallest and fidiliest of the lot. Havent had any
    problems yet with em.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 5, 2006
  5. JC

    smf Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <dphp4g$k8g$>, says...
    >> I am considering upgrading my digital camera. Currently it is a Canon
    >> Powershot A60. Takes good photos, but want something that takes bigger
    >> photos.. so around the 5mp mark. Also needs to take Compact Flash, and
    >> be around the $500 - 600 price range.

    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    > Select from the buttons for the megapixel rating and it will give you a
    > list of cameras of that rating with other useful info.
    >
    > From that we can see that CF is going out of fashion. New, you might
    > still be able to get something that's end of line, otherwise bite the
    > bullet and go to some other kind of memory.
    >
    > Great stuff CF (I have 2x 256 MB for a 6 month old Canon) but not
    > popular now, much bigger than most other types.

    why is it not so popular? Does anyone know?

    smf, Jan 5, 2006
  6. JC

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 06:45:50 +1300, Robert Cooze <> wrote:

    >Rob J wrote:
    >> In article <dphp4g$k8g$>, says...
    >>
    >>>I am considering upgrading my digital camera. Currently it is a Canon
    >>>Powershot A60. Takes good photos, but want something that takes bigger
    >>>photos.. so around the 5mp mark. Also needs to take Compact Flash, and
    >>>be around the $500 - 600 price range.

    >> http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    >> Select from the buttons for the megapixel rating and it will give you a
    >> list of cameras of that rating with other useful info.
    >>
    >> From that we can see that CF is going out of fashion. New, you might
    >> still be able to get something that's end of line, otherwise bite the
    >> bullet and go to some other kind of memory.
    >>
    >> Great stuff CF (I have 2x 256 MB for a 6 month old Canon) but not
    >> popular now, much bigger than most other types.

    >the newer stuff is hard to hande. for old people, in bad windy weather I
    >saw sombody loose a memory card once that way. LOL I use a Fuji Camera
    >with XD cards the smallest and fidiliest of the lot. Havent had any
    >problems yet with em.

    The easy solution to that one is to get one so big that you don't need to remove
    it from the camera to swap it. A one gig card would hold a lot of photos unless
    you're shooting raw.

    Craig Shore, Jan 5, 2006
  7. JC

    Jerry Guest

    smf wrote:
    > Rob J wrote:
    >
    >> In article <dphp4g$k8g$>, says...
    >>
    >>> I am considering upgrading my digital camera. Currently it is a Canon
    >>> Powershot A60. Takes good photos, but want something that takes
    >>> bigger photos.. so around the 5mp mark. Also needs to take Compact
    >>> Flash, and be around the $500 - 600 price range.

    >> http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    >> Select from the buttons for the megapixel rating and it will give you
    >> a list of cameras of that rating with other useful info.
    >>
    >> From that we can see that CF is going out of fashion. New, you might
    >> still be able to get something that's end of line, otherwise bite the
    >> bullet and go to some other kind of memory.
    >>
    >> Great stuff CF (I have 2x 256 MB for a 6 month old Canon) but not
    >> popular now, much bigger than most other types.

    > why is it not so popular? Does anyone know?

    The physical size is too large for a very small camera. I have a DSLR
    that uses it, but the camera is big enough for it.

    All memory cards are fairly cheap now. I wouldn't put the type of card
    used as a qualification for any camera, find a camera that suits you and
    get whatever memory you need for it.

    Jerry, Jan 5, 2006
  8. JC

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > smf wrote:
    >
    >> Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <dphp4g$k8g$>, says...

    >>> http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    >>> Select from the buttons for the megapixel rating and it will give you
    >>> a list of cameras of that rating with other useful info.
    >>>
    >>> From that we can see that CF is going out of fashion. New, you might
    >>> still be able to get something that's end of line, otherwise bite the
    >>> bullet and go to some other kind of memory.
    >>>
    >>> Great stuff CF (I have 2x 256 MB for a 6 month old Canon) but not
    >>> popular now, much bigger than most other types.

    >> why is it not so popular? Does anyone know?

    > The physical size is too large for a very small camera. I have a DSLR
    > that uses it, but the camera is big enough for it.
    >
    > All memory cards are fairly cheap now. I wouldn't put the type of card
    > used as a qualification for any camera, find a camera that suits you and
    > get whatever memory you need for it.

    Depends on your usage, I guess, but I find it very annoying that my
    Finepix420 takes XD (of course) but my Palm T3 takes SD - this means
    that even though I might carry the two devices together when travelling,
    I can't get the images from the camera to the PDA for
    viewing/editing/emailing. Bluetooth on cameras would be extremely useful.

    Likewise, the XD card won't plug straight into a Philips PhotoFrame, or
    many other devices that only use SD.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 5, 2006
  9. JC

    Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:

    > Depends on your usage, I guess, but I find it very annoying that my
    > Finepix420 takes XD (of course) but my Palm T3 takes SD - this means
    > that even though I might carry the two devices together when travelling,
    > I can't get the images from the camera to the PDA for
    > viewing/editing/emailing. Bluetooth on cameras would be extremely useful.

    I don't think Bluetooth is fast enough for transferring several hundred
    megabytes of photos. I did see an ad for a camera the other day with
    built in wifi which I think is a good idea.

    , Jan 6, 2006
  10. JC

    -=rjh=- Guest

    wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >>Jerry wrote:

    >>Depends on your usage, I guess, but I find it very annoying that my
    >>Finepix420 takes XD (of course) but my Palm T3 takes SD - this means
    >>that even though I might carry the two devices together when travelling,
    >>I can't get the images from the camera to the PDA for
    >>viewing/editing/emailing. Bluetooth on cameras would be extremely useful.

    > I don't think Bluetooth is fast enough for transferring several hundred
    > megabytes of photos. I did see an ad for a camera the other day with
    > built in wifi which I think is a good idea.

    Bluetooth would be fine for transferring selected photos, or as a
    continuous process to nearby devices. I can transfer images from my
    phone to my T3 for editing, then email them, but transfers are slow
    because the process happens at serial port speeds - a limitation of the
    T3, and not really the speeds BT is capable of. BT is great for a small,
    mobile personal network.

    Besides, WiFi isn't so useful when travelling - depending on where you
    travel, I guess :)

    -=rjh=-, Jan 6, 2006
  11. JC

    Jerry Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> smf wrote:

    >>> why is it not so popular? Does anyone know?

    >> The physical size is too large for a very small camera. I have a DSLR
    >> that uses it, but the camera is big enough for it.
    >>
    >> All memory cards are fairly cheap now. I wouldn't put the type of
    >> card used as a qualification for any camera, find a camera that suits
    >> you and get whatever memory you need for it.

    > Depends on your usage, I guess, but I find it very annoying that my
    > Finepix420 takes XD (of course) but my Palm T3 takes SD - this means
    > that even though I might carry the two devices together when travelling,
    > I can't get the images from the camera to the PDA for
    > viewing/editing/emailing. Bluetooth on cameras would be extremely useful.
    >
    > Likewise, the XD card won't plug straight into a Philips PhotoFrame, or
    > many other devices that only use SD.

    I see your problem. I have a Canon EOS300D (paid $999 with twin lenses
    after the 350D came out). It came with a 256MB CF card and I bought a
    1GB card from flashcards.co.nz. Shooting large high quality (not raw)
    images I get about 370 photos on the two cards, and haven't really been
    on a holiday long enough where I wanted to take more pics than that. I
    have a card reader on a PC here, and can convert easily enough between
    media, but it isn't a portable device.

    Jerry, Jan 6, 2006
  12. JC

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 06:45:50 +1300, Robert Cooze <> wrote:
    >

    >>Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <dphp4g$k8g$>, says...

    >>>http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    >>>Select from the buttons for the megapixel rating and it will give you a
    >>>list of cameras of that rating with other useful info.
    >>>
    >>>From that we can see that CF is going out of fashion. New, you might
    >>>still be able to get something that's end of line, otherwise bite the
    >>>bullet and go to some other kind of memory.
    >>>
    >>>Great stuff CF (I have 2x 256 MB for a 6 month old Canon) but not
    >>>popular now, much bigger than most other types.

    >>the newer stuff is hard to hande. for old people, in bad windy weather I
    >>saw sombody loose a memory card once that way. LOL I use a Fuji Camera
    >>with XD cards the smallest and fidiliest of the lot. Havent had any
    >>problems yet with em.

    > The easy solution to that one is to get one so big that you don't need to remove
    > it from the camera to swap it. A one gig card would hold a lot of photos unless
    > you're shooting raw.

    Quight often I do Shoot raw when doing stuff that will matter. The
    camera I have now is easy to change the XD card but some of the others
    are fidily, open hatch drop batterys, remove card drop card when trying
    to pick up batterys, wach card blow away with wind (exagaerated). What I
    have now has a seperat hacth for the XD card lots of spcae to grip the
    camera yada yada yadra.... I only wish film was this easy to load
    (speed) I just like the size of Compac Flash nice and big. I do agree A
    larg card holds a lot pix. Now for the kicker, when testing the camera I
    went to some out door christmas prarids at arround the 200 to 250 mark
    at arround 1 houre the heat build up in the camera was noticeabal and
    eye strain was occoring. Least my arms wernt sore to do the same thing
    in film my glass lenses are very heavy:( the new digital is lite!

    Robert Cooze, Jan 6, 2006
  13. JC

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43bd62cc$>, time.enough***@gmail.com says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    > > In article <dphp4g$k8g$>, says...
    > >> I am considering upgrading my digital camera. Currently it is a Canon
    > >> Powershot A60. Takes good photos, but want something that takes bigger
    > >> photos.. so around the 5mp mark. Also needs to take Compact Flash, and
    > >> be around the $500 - 600 price range.

    > > http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    > > Select from the buttons for the megapixel rating and it will give you a
    > > list of cameras of that rating with other useful info.
    > >
    > > From that we can see that CF is going out of fashion. New, you might
    > > still be able to get something that's end of line, otherwise bite the
    > > bullet and go to some other kind of memory.
    > >
    > > Great stuff CF (I have 2x 256 MB for a 6 month old Canon) but not
    > > popular now, much bigger than most other types.

    > why is it not so popular? Does anyone know?

    Too big.

    Rob J, Jan 7, 2006
  14. JC

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43bd8d14$>, says...
    > smf wrote:
    > > Rob J wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <dphp4g$k8g$>, says...

    > >> http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    > >> Select from the buttons for the megapixel rating and it will give you
    > >> a list of cameras of that rating with other useful info.
    > >>
    > >> From that we can see that CF is going out of fashion. New, you might
    > >> still be able to get something that's end of line, otherwise bite the
    > >> bullet and go to some other kind of memory.
    > >>
    > >> Great stuff CF (I have 2x 256 MB for a 6 month old Canon) but not
    > >> popular now, much bigger than most other types.

    > > why is it not so popular? Does anyone know?

    > The physical size is too large for a very small camera. I have a DSLR
    > that uses it, but the camera is big enough for it.
    >
    > All memory cards are fairly cheap now. I wouldn't put the type of card
    > used as a qualification for any camera, find a camera that suits you and
    > get whatever memory you need for it.

    CF is very good value, pity it's not so common.

    Rob J, Jan 7, 2006
  15. R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh <> writes:

    >CompactFlash is on its way out for compact cameras. I don't know of a
    >current CF compact in that price range. Only the higher end cameras
    >tend to have CF now, as far as I know - DSLRs and "crossover" cameras
    >(eg. Fuji S9500, Panasonic FZ20 & 30).

    The FZ-*'s all take SD, not CF. So that's even less on the CF side. If you
    want you can CF your SD with SD-to-CF adapters, you can also get them for XD
    and one or two others.

    Peter.

    Peter Gutmann, Jan 12, 2006