Two questions about Vista timebomb

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 RC1. It dual boots with XP Professional x64.
    After next week, Vista RC1 is probably no longer operable since the product
    will be on the market.
    Therefore, two questions:

    1) When I installed RC1 it installed a dual-boot functionality. In other
    words, I didn't have to go looking elsewhere for something that would let me
    dual boot. On startup, I get a screen that asks me if I want to use Vista or
    an earlier version of Windows. If it gets no response after a set number of
    seconds, it automatically boots into Vista.
    The question: What happens after the Vista RC1 time-bombs? Will my machine
    automatically boot into XP x64? Will the bootloader no longer be functional,
    which means I won't be able to boot into XP x64 either?

    2) Is there a way to actually uninstall RC1? I assume I could just clear out
    the partition it's on, but I'm guessing that's probably not the best way to
    get rid of RC1.

    I do plan to purchase Vista eventually. I'm just trying to foresee any
    problems that might come up before then with the end of RC1's useability.

    Thanks for any help.

    -dp

    DP, Jan 26, 2007

  2. If you type "winver" in the Start Search box you will see that RC1 expires
    at the end of May.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 26, 2007

  3. DP

    DP Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    > If you type "winver" in the Start Search box you will see that RC1 expires
    > at the end of May.

    Thanks for that. I thought I'd heard otherwise in this group some months
    back.

    DP, Jan 26, 2007
  4. DP

    DP Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    >> If you type "winver" in the Start Search box you will see that RC1
    >> expires at the end of May.
    >>

    > Thanks for that. I thought I'd heard otherwise in this group some months
    > back.

    Please someone correct me, but I believe what transpired on this group a few
    months back was that I had commented about having until May to use RC1. That
    way I'd be able to see what the complaints were for a few months after
    retail version came out before having to make a decision myself. But someone
    else said that as soon as the retail version is available, RC1 won't be
    useable.

    I guess the May date was in case the retail release was delayed again?

    Anybody?

    DP, Jan 26, 2007
  5. RC1 will be usable, but your license to use it will no longer be valid. It's
    a subtle, but important, difference.

    That being said, use EasyBCD or other BCD editor to change the default boot
    order to boot to XP first. Then, if you want to remove Vista, you can do so,
    though the process can be a bit complicated depending on what partitions
    things are installed onto.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64