two problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by thedarkman, Feb 1, 2009.

  1. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly. I tried
    Photoeditor but this will only rotate by 90% increments. Can anyone
    point me in the direction of one?

    Also, I posted this below sometime ago.

    I have a serious problem regarding jpgs. I noticed some time ago that
    a lot of mine, which are mostly of people and buildings, etc, have
    become corrupted. I am using a fairly old computer with Windows
    2000;
    last year I was using an older one but upgraded of sorts.

    A lot of the files don't read at all, but some have become mixed up,
    ie a jpg that is meant to be of a tree will be of something entirely
    different.

    I've had file corruption before, years ago, but that was with
    WordStar
    files, and the problem was floppy disks. A lot of these files have
    been burned to CD; I'm not sure about the others.

    I thought one cause could be that I have a lot of files in the
    directories, some I have five thousand or more, but this really
    shouldn't be a problem,

    Can anyone identify the problem, and more to the point tell me how to
    stop it in future, and how if possible to recover the lost files?

    Thanks

    thedarkman, Feb 1, 2009

  2. thedarkman

    olfart Guest

    "thedarkman" <> wrote in message

    > I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly. I tried
    > Photoeditor but this will only rotate by 90% increments. Can anyone
    > point me in the direction of one?
    >
    > Also, I posted this below sometime ago.
    >

    > I have a serious problem regarding jpgs. I noticed some time ago that
    > a lot of mine, which are mostly of people and buildings, etc, have
    > become corrupted. I am using a fairly old computer with Windows
    > 2000;
    > last year I was using an older one but upgraded of sorts.
    >
    > A lot of the files don't read at all, but some have become mixed up,
    > ie a jpg that is meant to be of a tree will be of something entirely
    > different.
    >

    > I've had file corruption before, years ago, but that was with
    > WordStar
    > files, and the problem was floppy disks. A lot of these files have
    > been burned to CD; I'm not sure about the others.
    >
    > I thought one cause could be that I have a lot of files in the
    > directories, some I have five thousand or more, but this really
    > shouldn't be a problem,
    >
    > Can anyone identify the problem, and more to the point tell me how to
    > stop it in future, and how if possible to recover the lost files?
    >

    > Thanks

    Google for Irfanview...it's free and will rotate your phots as well as 1000
    other things.
    Don't forget to send him a few $$ if you like it

    olfart, Feb 1, 2009

  3. thedarkman

    Beefhooked Guest

    > I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly. I tried
    > Photoeditor but this will only rotate by 90% increments. Can anyone
    > point me in the direction of one?

    The Gimp

    Beefhooked, Feb 1, 2009
  4. thedarkman wrote on 1-2-2009 21:38:

    > I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly. I tried
    > Photoeditor but this will only rotate by 90% increments. Can anyone
    > point me in the direction of one?
    >
    > Also, I posted this below sometime ago.
    >

    > I have a serious problem regarding jpgs. I noticed some time ago that
    > a lot of mine, which are mostly of people and buildings, etc, have
    > become corrupted. I am using a fairly old computer with Windows
    > 2000;
    > last year I was using an older one but upgraded of sorts.

    Try http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    It's free for home users.

    Nico

    Nico Koolsbergen, Feb 1, 2009
  5. thedarkman

    mianileng Guest

    thedarkman wrote:
    > I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly. I
    > tried
    > Photoeditor but this will only rotate by 90% increments. Can
    > anyone
    > point me in the direction of one?

    Irfanview at http://www.irfanview.com will rotate jpegs and
    other formats in almost any step size you choose, down to 0.01
    degree. There are separate menu items for rotating in steps of 90
    degrees (often very useful).

    > Also, I posted this below sometime ago.
    >

    > I have a serious problem regarding jpgs. I noticed some time
    > ago that
    > a lot of mine, which are mostly of people and buildings, etc,
    > have
    > become corrupted. I am using a fairly old computer with
    > Windows
    > 2000;
    > last year I was using an older one but upgraded of sorts.
    >
    > A lot of the files don't read at all, but some have become
    > mixed up,
    > ie a jpg that is meant to be of a tree will be of something
    > entirely
    > different.
    >

    > I've had file corruption before, years ago, but that was with
    > WordStar
    > files, and the problem was floppy disks. A lot of these files
    > have
    > been burned to CD; I'm not sure about the others.
    >
    > I thought one cause could be that I have a lot of files in the
    > directories, some I have five thousand or more, but this really
    > shouldn't be a problem,
    >
    > Can anyone identify the problem, and more to the point tell me
    > how to
    > stop it in future, and how if possible to recover the lost
    > files?

    Could be a virus or a problem with the hard disk. I suggest you
    run a surface scan of your hard disk.

    PC Inspector at http://www.pcinspector.de is a good free data
    recovery program.

    mianileng, Feb 1, 2009
  6. thedarkman

    Mike Easter Guest

    thedarkman wrote:

    > I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly.

    The GIMP, which is popular for linux, also comes in a windows version
    which presumably does the same things as the linux gimp. Gimp can rotate
    any increment, and will do so dynamically -- you can see/ watch/ the image
    rotate.

    IrfanView just rotates images in 90 degree increments.

    You are accessing a usenet group with GG googlegroups. That isn't a good
    way to read and post to usenet. There are plenty of free newsagents and
    newsservers. OE and Tbird are popular agents for windows.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 1, 2009
  7. thedarkman

    mianileng Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > thedarkman wrote:
    >
    >> I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly.

    > The GIMP, which is popular for linux, also comes in a windows
    > version
    > which presumably does the same things as the linux gimp. Gimp
    > can
    > rotate any increment, and will do so dynamically -- you can
    > see/
    > watch/ the image rotate.
    >
    > IrfanView just rotates images in 90 degree increments.

    Mike, Irfanview can rotate images in any increment from 0.01 to
    360 degrees. I don't remember about the early versions, but it's
    had this function for quite some time.

    mianileng, Feb 1, 2009
  8. thedarkman

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > IrfanView just rotates images in 90 degree increments.

    Oops. I overlooked the adjustable fine rotation function in Image
    Effects. It will rotate by any amount.

    --
    Mike Easter
    f/ups set to 24hshd

    Mike Easter, Feb 1, 2009
  9. thedarkman

    Paul Furman Guest

    thedarkman wrote:

    > A lot of the files don't read at all, but some have become mixed up,
    > ie a jpg that is meant to be of a tree will be of something entirely
    > different.

    That could be windows choking on too many pics in a folder, messing up
    the thumbnails.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Feb 1, 2009
  10. thedarkman

    chuckcar Guest

    thedarkman <> wrote in

    > I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly. I tried
    > Photoeditor but this will only rotate by 90% increments. Can anyone
    > point me in the direction of one?
    >
    > Also, I posted this below sometime ago.
    >

    > I have a serious problem regarding jpgs. I noticed some time ago that
    > a lot of mine, which are mostly of people and buildings, etc, have
    > become corrupted. I am using a fairly old computer with Windows
    > 2000;
    > last year I was using an older one but upgraded of sorts.
    >
    > A lot of the files don't read at all, but some have become mixed up,
    > ie a jpg that is meant to be of a tree will be of something entirely
    > different.

    Entirely possible. Jpegs use "lossy" compression which means each time you
    expand it to view it and then save it, you loose information. The Best
    option for compression without loss is to use GIF89a files instead of
    jpegs. The difference in storage size is marginal considering the data
    loss circumvented.

    > I've had file corruption before, years ago, but that was with
    > WordStar
    > files, and the problem was floppy disks. A lot of these files have
    > been burned to CD; I'm not sure about the others.
    >
    > I thought one cause could be that I have a lot of files in the
    > directories, some I have five thousand or more, but this really
    > shouldn't be a problem,
    >
    > Can anyone identify the problem, and more to the point tell me how to
    > stop it in future, and how if possible to recover the lost files?

    Unless you have to *original* files that haven't been overwritten, they're
    gone forever I'm afraid. The modify date would help you there.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 2, 2009
  11. thedarkman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Why the weird followup?
    I'll never visit that group.

    Paul Furman, Feb 2, 2009
  12. thedarkman

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:38:58 -0800, thedarkman wrote:
    >
    >> I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly. I tried
    >> Photoeditor but this will only rotate by 90% increments. Can anyone
    >> point me in the direction of one?
    >>

    > Try the Gimp - they do a version for windows and I believe it is the same
    > as the linux version.

    Although the GIMP is a good editor it is less than intuitive in its
    commands. Those who use Windows as an OS are more likely to find
    Photoshop easier to use. However it is not free (moderately expensive.)
    But many books on how to use are freely available. There is a rewrite of
    GIMP that uses a command set and screen scheme that is much closer to
    Photoshop and as such might be more attractive to Windows users. It is
    called GIMPshop.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Feb 2, 2009
  13. thedarkman

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Fred Kasner wrote:
    > Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:38:58 -0800, thedarkman wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need to find a free program which can rotate jpgs slightly. I tried
    >>> Photoeditor but this will only rotate by 90% increments. Can anyone
    >>> point me in the direction of one?
    >>>

    >> Try the Gimp - they do a version for windows and I believe it is the
    >> same as the linux version.
    >>

    > Although the GIMP is a good editor it is less than intuitive in its
    > commands. Those who use Windows as an OS are more likely to find
    > Photoshop easier to use. However it is not free (moderately expensive.)
    > But many books on how to use are freely available. There is a rewrite of
    > GIMP that uses a command set and screen scheme that is much closer to
    > Photoshop and as such might be more attractive to Windows users. It is
    > called GIMPshop.
    > FK

    Moderately expensive, at $600 I'd like to know what you would consider
    an expensive editor.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Feb 2, 2009
  14. thedarkman

    Guest

    Fred Kasner wrote:

    > Although the GIMP is a good editor it is less than intuitive in its
    > commands. Those who use Windows as an OS are more likely to find
    > Photoshop easier to use. However it is not free (moderately expensive.)
    > But many books on how to use are freely available. There is a rewrite of
    > GIMP that uses a command set and screen scheme that is much closer to
    > Photoshop and as such might be more attractive to Windows users. It is
    > called GIMPshop.
    > FK

    Somewhat out of date information! GIMPshop is based on a very, very old
    version of Gimp, is buggy and hasn't been supported in 2 or more years.
    The menu structure of Gimp has been rewritten since GIMPshop days and
    is much more logical. There is much very good online documentation for
    Gimp and techniques for Photoshop usually translate easy when you
    understand the concepts that you are applying.

    Please, before you comment, use the latest version, rather than relying
    on hearsay or 3 year old information!

    , Feb 2, 2009
  15. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    Thanks for the info; I believe I downloaded Irfan a while ago but
    couldn't make anything of it, but I tried it again today and it works
    a treat.

    thedarkman, Feb 3, 2009
  16. thedarkman

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Fred Kasner wrote:
    >> Neil Ellwood wrote:

    >>> Try the Gimp - they do a version for windows and I believe it is the
    >>> same as the linux version.
    >>>

    >> Although the GIMP is a good editor it is less than intuitive in its
    >> commands. Those who use Windows as an OS are more likely to find
    >> Photoshop easier to use. However it is not free (moderately
    >> expensive.) But many books on how to use are freely available. There
    >> is a rewrite of GIMP that uses a command set and screen scheme that is
    >> much closer to Photoshop and as such might be more attractive to
    >> Windows users. It is called GIMPshop.
    >> FK

    > Moderately expensive, at $600 I'd like to know what you would consider
    > an expensive editor.
    > Dave Cohen

    Enterprise editions of software that typically sell for thousands of
    dollars. Besided which you can get Photoshop for less than $600.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Feb 3, 2009
  17. thedarkman

    Fred Kasner Guest

    wrote:
    > Fred Kasner wrote:
    >
    >> Although the GIMP is a good editor it is less than intuitive in its
    >> commands. Those who use Windows as an OS are more likely to find
    >> Photoshop easier to use. However it is not free (moderately
    >> expensive.) But many books on how to use are freely available. There
    >> is a rewrite of GIMP that uses a command set and screen scheme that is
    >> much closer to Photoshop and as such might be more attractive to
    >> Windows users. It is called GIMPshop.
    >> FK

    > Somewhat out of date information! GIMPshop is based on a very, very old
    > version of Gimp, is buggy and hasn't been supported in 2 or more years.
    > The menu structure of Gimp has been rewritten since GIMPshop days and
    > is much more logical. There is much very good online documentation for
    > Gimp and techniques for Photoshop usually translate easy when you
    > understand the concepts that you are applying.
    >
    > Please, before you comment, use the latest version, rather than relying
    > on hearsay or 3 year old information!

    I use GIMPshop with no problems whatsoever. Older software is not
    necessarily bad software. I am not referring to hearsay when I comment
    on GIMPshop I am referring to my use of the software. Do not assume that
    your are privy to my experience and make specious comments about it.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Feb 3, 2009
  18. thedarkman

    Guest

    Fred Kasner wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Fred Kasner wrote:
    >>
    >>> Although the GIMP is a good editor it is less than intuitive in its
    >>> commands. Those who use Windows as an OS are more likely to find
    >>> Photoshop easier to use. However it is not free (moderately
    >>> expensive.) But many books on how to use are freely available. There
    >>> is a rewrite of GIMP that uses a command set and screen scheme that
    >>> is much closer to Photoshop and as such might be more attractive to
    >>> Windows users. It is called GIMPshop.
    >>> FK

    >> Somewhat out of date information! GIMPshop is based on a very, very old
    >> version of Gimp, is buggy and hasn't been supported in 2 or more
    >> years. The menu structure of Gimp has been rewritten since GIMPshop
    >> days and is much more logical. There is much very good online
    >> documentation for Gimp and techniques for Photoshop usually translate
    >> easy when you understand the concepts that you are applying.
    >>
    >> Please, before you comment, use the latest version, rather than
    >> relying on hearsay or 3 year old information!

    > I use GIMPshop with no problems whatsoever. Older software is not
    > necessarily bad software. I am not referring to hearsay when I comment
    > on GIMPshop I am referring to my use of the software. Do not assume that
    > your are privy to my experience and make specious comments about it.
    > FK

    I'm happy for you. Our experiences and needs differ. Older software is
    fine when it does the job you need. Newer versions fix bugs and add
    features.
    Have a good day

    , Feb 3, 2009