Two phones on one VoIP line?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by jeffgreinert@yahoo.com, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a small office, just my wife and I. I'm interested in switching
    from standard phone service to a VoIP provider. I want our phone setup
    to work essentially the same as it does now which is:

    * A call comes in on our single line, and both of our phones ring (one
    on her desk, one on mine). Either of us can answer the phone.
    * If I answer and the call is for her, I can put the call on hold and
    she can pick up the call by taking it off of hold on her phone.

    My questions:
    1) Can I do these with your provided equipment and my phones? Does it
    depend on my phone's specifications/capabilities?

    2) Can I do these if I elect to use softphones and not physical phones?
    Does it depend on the softphone's specifications/capabilities?

    I need to be able to have both phones ring and be able to somehow move
    a call from one phone to the other.

    If it's of any importance, I'm considering BroadVoice VoIP with a
    Linksys RT31P2-NA router w/ 2 phone ports and the eyeBeam softphone,
    which is basically the pro version of the X-Lite softphone.

    A final question: When using a softphone, does the call get to the
    computer via the ethernet cable or via a phone cord through the modem
    port?

    Thanks for helping a VoIP newbie.

    -- Jeff

    , Aug 19, 2006

  2. Pat Coghlan Guest

    Your existing phones are on the same analog loop. If you subscribe to a
    VoIP provider, there will still be an analog loop, but it will be
    powered by your VoIP TA (terminal adapter), rather than the phone
    company. Your analog phones will work as before.

    Residential phones with a "hold" feature really don't put the call on
    hold, per se. They simply cut off the sound and microphone, but keep
    the line "off hook" so the other phone can be picked up.

    Pat Coghlan, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Tom Ruehle Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a small office, just my wife and I. I'm interested in switching
    > from standard phone service to a VoIP provider. I want our phone setup
    > to work essentially the same as it does now which is:
    >
    > * A call comes in on our single line, and both of our phones ring (one
    > on her desk, one on mine). Either of us can answer the phone.
    > * If I answer and the call is for her, I can put the call on hold and
    > she can pick up the call by taking it off of hold on her phone.
    >
    > My questions:
    > 1) Can I do these with your provided equipment and my phones? Does it
    > depend on my phone's specifications/capabilities?
    >
    > 2) Can I do these if I elect to use softphones and not physical phones?
    > Does it depend on the softphone's specifications/capabilities?
    >
    > I need to be able to have both phones ring and be able to somehow move
    > a call from one phone to the other.
    >
    > If it's of any importance, I'm considering BroadVoice VoIP with a
    > Linksys RT31P2-NA router w/ 2 phone ports and the eyeBeam softphone,
    > which is basically the pro version of the X-Lite softphone.
    >
    > A final question: When using a softphone, does the call get to the
    > computer via the ethernet cable or via a phone cord through the modem
    > port?
    >
    > Thanks for helping a VoIP newbie.
    >
    > -- Jeff

    I found this paper helpful

    http://michigantelephone.mi.org/distribute.html

    Tom Ruehle, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Guest

    Thanks for the great info. Any experience doing this with softphones?

    -- Jeff

    , Aug 20, 2006
  5. Tom Ruehle Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks for the great info. Any experience doing this with softphones?
    >
    > -- Jeff

    Sorry. I have no experience with softphones.

    Tom Ruehle, Aug 21, 2006
  6. Guest

    Well, thanks again for the great link. It's looking like I'm going to
    start w/ regular physical phones, and that info is invaluable.

    -- Jeff

    , Aug 22, 2006
  7. <> wrote in message
    > Well, thanks again for the great link. It's looking like I'm going to
    > start w/ regular physical phones, and that info is invaluable.
    >
    > -- Jeff

    Jeff,

    What question did you have regarding softphones?

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Aug 23, 2006
  8. user Guest

    I know it might be a bit much, but if you want menus, music on hold, etc
    you might want to check out Trixbox.

    Also, watch out with broadvoice's unlimited plans - make sure you get
    the business plans, and make sure you read the fine print!

    -n8

    user, Aug 25, 2006
  9. LVMarc Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a small office, just my wife and I. I'm interested in switching
    > from standard phone service to a VoIP provider. I want our phone setup
    > to work essentially the same as it does now which is:
    >
    > * A call comes in on our single line, and both of our phones ring (one
    > on her desk, one on mine). Either of us can answer the phone.
    > * If I answer and the call is for her, I can put the call on hold and
    > she can pick up the call by taking it off of hold on her phone.
    >
    > My questions:
    > 1) Can I do these with your provided equipment and my phones? Does it
    > depend on my phone's specifications/capabilities?
    >
    > 2) Can I do these if I elect to use softphones and not physical phones?
    > Does it depend on the softphone's specifications/capabilities?
    >
    > I need to be able to have both phones ring and be able to somehow move
    > a call from one phone to the other.
    >
    > If it's of any importance, I'm considering BroadVoice VoIP with a
    > Linksys RT31P2-NA router w/ 2 phone ports and the eyeBeam softphone,
    > which is basically the pro version of the X-Lite softphone.
    >
    > A final question: When using a softphone, does the call get to the
    > computer via the ethernet cable or via a phone cord through the modem
    > port?
    >
    > Thanks for helping a VoIP newbie.
    >
    > -- Jeff

    not exactly wwhta you want but is what you need voip and pstn joined for
    your favorite handset low cost, and use zero added power .. lowst cost
    to own and opertae

    Description

    COMBINE-A-LINE …… IMAGINE

    ….1=2

    Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
    machine, or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?…. Automatically?

    OR

    How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone
    jack into a single handset?

    OR

    How about joining TWO VOIP ports into a single handset, answering
    machine, or PC Modem?

    USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
    well!

    OR

    see if anybody picks-up, on another line trunk, after you are already
    in a call??? A visual real-time security feedback feature!

    THEN...........................................

    Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines
    to be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC.
    Centralizing and PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication
    equipment for your home office or for the family.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...00028799587&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...00028799587&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

    LVMarc, Sep 18, 2006
  10. Guest

    wrote:
    > Well, thanks again for the great link. It's looking like I'm going to
    > start w/ regular physical phones, and that info is invaluable.
    >
    > -- Jeff

    Jeff,

    Connecting your existing phones should be no problem, I did it using
    ViaTalk, see review below. Softphones are a different issues since
    they are a SIP client like your adapter and I believe there can only be
    one registered at any point in time. A work around would be to use an
    Asterisk PBX on your PC and let that register with your phone company
    and then connect your adapter/regular phones and the softphone through
    Asterisk.

    Thanks,

    Thomas
    http://www.betterphone.org