    connects to the internet the computer B will not and vice versa. It is all
    done through ethernet cables, none of it is wireless

    I am in despair. What should I do next?
    fruitbat, Oct 13, 2005

  2. fruitbat

    bmoag Guest

    If your modem is properly connected to the router and the router is properly
    set up this system should work. I suspect you have not set the router
    software correctly and you will have to read the manual or contact tech
    support. At their factory default settings routers should not block internet
    access by comuters connected to the router via ethernet cabling so you have
    screwed up something somewhere.The modem usually has to be connected to the
    router through a specific ethernet port so at a minimum check your
    connections.

    bmoag, Oct 14, 2005

  3. fruitbat

    bambam Guest

    "fruitbat" <> wrote in

    > My problem is that I cannot get 2 computers working off my ADSL
    > internet connection at the one time.
    > The 2 PCs are near each other. Both run XP Pro.
    > I use a D-link modem. Each PC works fine on the net if directly
    > connected to the D-link modem, but it will only take one at a time.
    >
    > I have tried a Netgear router connected to this modem. If I connect
    > both PCs to the router, each will connect to the net separately but
    > not both together.
    >
    > I have tried an Excel 8 port switch connected to the ADSL modem. One
    > again I connect computer B and computer B to the Excel 8 port switch.
    > If computer A connects to the internet the computer B will not and
    > vice versa. It is all done through ethernet cables, none of it is
    > wireless
    >
    > I am in despair. What should I do next?

    The only thing I can think of is that you have assigned both computers
    the same IP address!
    bambam, Oct 15, 2005